Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Frankly I don't care what the stats say, it's been shocking and I'm fed up of it. We usually get at least one gem or decent period even in rotten periods. 2024 says nope, can't be having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's been a dry cold Summer.

Cold is the only compla8nt in the NW and lack of much sun. Bar that rain has been low for nearly 3 months now.

In Sligo rainfall

May 75mm

June 77mm

July so far 33mm

Last year we had well over 100mm in June and July. Can't rem May

Post edited by pauldry on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I presume there is some sort of lux scale or something for measuring the lumen strength of the sun that we actually get vs 2023 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

There's no need to apologise for wanting nicer weather. We all do. And you're allowed expect whatever you want.

My point is that people who say this is the 'worst' summer ever etc etc need to remember what country they're in. And people complain about the summer almost every year. We all complained last year. This is no different.

You say: "What I see and feel this summer is nothing but endless grey days, temp somewhere between 13 and 16 degrees by day and a constant often northerly breeze."

That's not that far off how I'd describe a normal Irish summer tbh! (maybe with temps a bit higher though).

As I said, July has been poor. Even by Irish standards. We can probably all agree on that. But May was record breaking temp wise. June was fairly average, dry, if a bit on the cool side. And people were still saying it was 'awful' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Mind playing tricks'

I'm too old for this type of condescending bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

If you refuse to believe actual stats from the national weather service that's fine.

And if you need to resort to abusive language to get across your point, then it shows you don't have a very convincing argument at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,247 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely day in Galway. Sunny with big fluffy clouds. I'd say temp is around 19/20. Fighting with nature in the garden, nature is winning.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Don't try simple manipulation with me and play the victim. 'Mind playing tricks' you said.

I report on this area. Not nationwide. If everyone in this area is saying the same regarding growth, who do I believe. You or neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Great day in Dublin 8...another bbq on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Weather BOFH

I've been tracking solar irradiance for the past 6 years, it's definitely lower this year and the energy generated from my solar panels show the same pattern:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nice and mild out there this afternoon

Best day for a good while. 18C. Cloudy but feels very pleasant.

Yep dry cold summer is how I would describe it too out west.

Re May; Markree recorded 43mm in May 2023 which was almost half the average there (81mm) so pretty decent.

I am slowly planting a field with native trees. It's usually a very damp field and I am using trees that love water e.g. Alder and Willow. The newly planted ones are suffering now with the lack of rain so I have to water them. Heavy rain next week will help.

Looks like it is getting less Sunny every year. I saw the sun today and it was warm. Its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Dazler97

4th day in 6 weeks that it's lovely and warm today

so am I reading that graph right in saying the “saw tooth” on the rhs of the graph is this year from jan up to July?
    It looks to be a big difference alright and could be why this summer is being perceived as utter muck.
    So i wonder is the solar radiance drop the result of more cloud cover.
    More cloud cover is being generated due to warmer oceans due to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Pretty much, the data is up to today.

But it's a single data point, it could be my sensor degrading or maybe my trees are casting more shade. It would be interesting to see more data from other sites around the country.

yeah agreed.
    There could be something in this though.
    There must be a national database- you do hear ME going on about hours of daylight, but do they measure the actual brightness i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I mean, I already posted that it was the cloudiest first 6 months to the year since 1994 at Dublin Apt.

Cork Apt is slightly sunnier than the same time last year (709.2 hrs Jan-Jun 2024 vs 701.8 hrs Jan-Jun 2023). Both are the cloudiest since 2012 and second/third cloudiest this century so far.

Shannon Apt had its cloudiest since 2017.

Belmullet had its cloudiest since 1999.

Cloudy but not overly wet and windy at times. Must be the most boring period of weather on record. Beach less weather for us up here anyways.

Today is a big improvement 16c and some sun. Imagine that's a big improvement.

Most days are dark and 14c to 15c and then 10c to 12c by 8pm. Today might stay above 14c till dark. Then 2 more days of 18c to 20c and back to the 14c with more rain coming too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The dry spell if you can call it that is coming to an end now, second half of July looks much more unsettled than the first half, plenty of rain next week for sure.

I urge anyone who likes warm and settled weather to book a holiday to the med if you haven't done so already because there are absolutely no guarantees that we will get a warm and settled spell before the end of the summer.

Indeed. Write off the rest of July. There are signs of windy episodes in August now that will draw up warm spells in between the washout so at least an odd day at the beach may be possible.

Even though its a whopping 14c in most Northern facing coasts today (even if Wet Eireann say 16c to 21c) Britain's even worse. 11c must be 7 or 8c below normal there. But at least globally it will be the warmest July on record.

I was going to ask what are the chances of some sun in the Dublin area for tomorrow morning as I was planning on bringing the kids plus dog to sandy mount beach.
    Am I asking for trouble 😅☔️

There will be sun and some heavy showers but it will be warm in the sun.

It's a long long way from Clare to here. View across Galway Bay to Black Head and Burren.

My first ever Boards picture too. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Spent the day in Bray. Cloudy, 17C, dry, gentle sea breeze. The quietest I've ever seen the prom in summer. Sun came out around 6pm just as the wind picked up, making it feel chilly on the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The sun came out this afternoon and it really felt quite warm. Pleasantly surprised with that.. do ye think all the moaning we do in here warms up the country? I did a fair bit last week, I must say.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe stressing about the weather brings High Pressure 😉

I think Gerry said we got up to 22C today

Advertisement