Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Rain has just arrived in Waterford City. Plants need it and just got the washing in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

I think the 8th of this month is the only day in Dublin this summer that I'd actually have described as "sunny", though it was still partly cloudy rather than gin blue skies and also had a cold wind so felt more like a nice spring day than high summer. Before that I think we had a couple of sunny days in early May but again nothing prolonged, I'd say you'd have to go back to that week last September for an actual sunny period in Dublin.

It was a lovely weekend in Dublin to be fair, easily the best of the summer but still plenty of dark cloud about.

Back to normal today, dark and raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Glad I held off on my walk.

Dublin Forecast:

A dry day with sunny spells at first, though it will turn cloudier in the afternoon with the chance of an isolated shower. Highest temperatures of 19 or 20 degrees in a light southwest breeze.

Looks like it should clear through and fit the forecast for the afternoon at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Started raining here in Dublin 8…wasn't expecting this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I certainly wasn't expecting a wet miserable morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Pissing rain in Dublin, meanwhile the UK is a 26 degrees heat wave..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya they seem to get weather wrong 100 percent these days. Its chilly here today and yesterday they said at 9pm it would be 21c in the West. Its 14c.

As some people say to me now I don't look at the forecast anymore as its always wrong.

Maybe they use AI now and that's why it's so inaccurate. It used to be better or am I imagining. They definitely were better at predicting 1 day than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭WATPOAE

I genuinely struggle to take Met Eireann forecasts seriously, they seem to get things wrong a lot more regularly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

It was raining in Tralee earlier but that has cleared now and it's pleasantly warm. I've a outside paint job booked for tomorrow so all fingers and toes crossed that it stays dry.🙏 Bloody rain is never far away in this country, I feel sorry for outdoor workers who have to constantly juggle their schedules, I'd go mental 😣 Hopefully we get a few more days warmth at least, but I agree that it just won't properly settle down this summer for anything more than a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some rain here but nothing heavy, looks torrential in parts of Dublin . Below Dublin regional forecast on MetE, it was pissing when they issued that

Dublin

Issued at: 29 July 2024 11:40

TODAY - Monday 29th July

A rather cloudy day with a few sunny spells breaking through. It will be mostly dry, with just patchy rain in the early afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We had a shower here North Dublin for about 40 mins moderately heavy . But clearing now to sunshine .

Warm .

Hopefully that's our rain today done .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It was a beautiful warm start this morning in south Dublin at 06:30, it then got grey, then it started raining up until a few mins ago.
    Patches of blue sky starting to break through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

I could watch Joanne Donnelly all day but just not weather forcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

This has really messed up my day! The ME Leinster forecast issued at 6am said:

"A dry day with sunny spells at first, though it will turn cloudier in the afternoon with the chance of isolated light showers."

It's cloudy since 10am and rained for over two hours in Maynooth. Brightening up now. Totally backwards to the forecast. I could have planned outdoor work totally differently if I had known. Really not in the mood for this mess today.

There's surely something very wrong if they can't give a reasonably accurate picture for the coming 12 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've noticed this a few times this Summer whereby short range forecasts were wrong. It now looks like Tuesday afternoon to Thursday will be our summer ,before it probably takes up again in late August. With this in mind it wouldn't surprise me after a cold summer if September ends up being warm overall.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I think the main culprit regarding the poor summer has been that large and very warm sea surface temperature anomaly in the western Atlantic. I think its helping to suppress high pressure from ridging up towards us from the Azores. Well it has to be having some effect. Perhaps as long as it stays there our general pattern won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

TBF. All weather models failed to pick up that rainfall this morning.

Up here in Ulster, the forecasts have been mostly correct for today :-

ME :-

A rather cloudy day with patchy outbreaks of rain and drizzle. The rain will mainly affect western and northern parts of the province with the odd sunny spell breaking through further east. Highest temperatures ranging from 16 to 20 degrees in a light to moderate southwesterly breeze.

UKMO :-

A mostly dry but rather cloudy day, although a few brighter spells are likely at times. Cloud will thicken in the west late afternoon, with some patchy light rain reaching the far west by the end of the day. Maximum temperature 20 °C.

It's just so disappointing to see the Sat24 animation showing clear skies over central and southern Great Britain.

https://www.sat24.com/en-gb

That typical NW/W to SE/E split we all know so well!

Not even that confident about Tues to Thurs. I think there will be more cloud and patchy rain around than we would like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeez. You're right. I just checked the Met Eireann page and it has been updated since I last read it earlier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭compsys

Now bright and sunny in Dublin with temps of over 20º. And feeling warm and muggy.

This is the 11th/12th day that temps have breached 20º this month in Dublin by my count. And they'll likely do so tomorrow and on Wednesday. So close to half the month. Probably not much below the longer-term average.

Once again, in the East at least, the month will end up only a little bit cooler than average.

• Advertisement

That is very true. You are correct, today is the 12th day of 20c or more for Dublin which isn't bad :-

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/ie/dublin/EIDW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d be the first to criticise met.ie normally but for a number of outdoor events over the last month, the daily /hourly forecasts of rain/sun for that day have been spot on and within 1/2 hour of accuracy - great when planning a BBQ and whatnot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Most days in summer Ireland and Scotland are under a blanket of cloud while England and Wales is basking in sunshine, seen it a million times.

It will be interesting to see if the tropical Atlantic waking up this week forces a change to the overall jet stream pattern. A system is due to form this week and track toward Florida for the weekend.

I often think that the weather patterns in the northern half of US and Canada are quite responsible for what we get, because the temperature contrasts they have over there strengthen the jet as it goes out into the Atlantic and thunderstorm systems that develop towards the east coast flow out into the Atlantic adding more moisture.

Today has been like all of June plus a degree. I guess it's fairly standard for NW Ireland but duller and cooler than most years. Could get very messy in August as there's a battle emerging between high to SE and low to NW. Donegal n Sligo could be brutal in August while the rest have 20c and some warm sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

Turned into a nice afternoon in Dublin once the rain cleared, mostly cloudy of course but it's thin enough that the sun is shining through.

The one complaint I wouldn't really have in the past couple of weeks is temperature, it's been much better ever since that cold wind finally f**ked off around mid month. No real heat but pleasantly warm most days and finally feels more like summer

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Lovely day here at kells, long hazy sunny spells the last few hours. Got a short spell of light rain this morning but missed the heavier burst from navan down south. Not as warm as yesterday but It's up to 20c again here today

Ya up to 18c in Sligo again now. Very little sun though. There was a few hours at the weekend but v v dull. Ya can notice much more sun once ya leave Sligo some of the days. Seems to be a cloud trap.

• Advertisement

The 18c lasted 30 minutes 14c now n dark n misty again. Back to square 1.

Advertisement