Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

What do you mean the last 2 days of summer? Surely summer is June, July, August? Although granted - August often feels like Autumn. But either way, surely meteorological summer is 1st June to 31st August? And astronomical summer is 21st June to 21 September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely and vwarm, still conditions for rambling on the Wicklow Hills for a few day's. No actual blue skies here today, sun breaks through now and again.

19⁰ Wicklow Hills

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This discussion comes up every year. Meteorological summer is 1st June to 31st August. Summer style weather and temperatures can occur through September and into the first 10 days of October when we get the right conditions.

We've had Septembers and Mays before which outclassed the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The three Dublin stations all recorded one millimetre yesterday, it would have to rain for more than a few minutes for a soaking.

Maybe the best day of the summer today in terms of sunshine but temperatures generally 19-21c which are surprising low for the day that’s in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lovely and warm today in carrick on shannon 21c and sun is trying to pop out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Cloudy and misty to start the day, then brightened up into a lovely day and so warm! West Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It rained steadily for over an hour in Lucan yesterday despite what Casement recorded. Plenty of puddles. Parts of Dublin were definitely soaked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Beautiful evening in Dublin this evening...Tuesday bbq on the way.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Definitely not in terms of sunshine. The 8th wipes the floor with today. Today is very hazy. But that day was also cool with a brisk breeze unlike today which was reasonable whilst not being overly warm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @DellyBelly Edited your post above. Google meteorological summer and indian summer before posting about them again.

• Advertisement

Aye, well I don't live there! So was only commenting light heartedly when I said "soaking" Everyone in Dublin was complaining about the rain. And I was just pointing out that, that part of the country did well by the end of the day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'm just finished forking out the bit of loose hay to get ready for gathering tomorrow. It's very calm and humid. I think tomorrow is the last fully dry day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭pauldry

So that's what sunshine looks like. Actually we had a few hours of watery sunshine today and temperature nearly got to 20c. Only 19c. Tomorrow is the last chance to increase our number of days of 20c by double in July from ONE to TWO.

Also out of 60 days of June and July 48 have been colder than normal and I'd imagine 50 duller than normal in Sligo. So Summer 2024s rating has increased from the 8 per cent in June to 20 percent now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Luke warm Hazy milky sunshine today, it's what you'd expect at a menimum in late July, west Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Agree with above posters, watery sunshine this evening. Some great weather tomorrow and Thursday but once again fairly cloudy out west from tomorrow afternoon . Perhaps a 25 at Oak Park tomorrow around 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely sunny day in Kerry, my site got up to 19.9C.

My brother sent me a pic from back at Slea Head and the other pic I took out at Fenit this evening looking across Tralee Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Heading to Dublin this afternoon till Sunday so looking forward to the heat for today and tomorrow (Thursday) alot of the UK are under thunderstorm warning for Thursday ⚠️wonder if we will get a few

Cloudy and 14c in Sligo today. Wheres the sunny day? Not even ONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Edgardo.

Sunny 16c in West Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭esposito

Lovely and sunny here in Dublin. Could be a scorcher today. Fingers crossed. 17c already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely summers day here so far. Sea breeze starting to kick in so the temperature has likely peaked until this evening when it dies back again. Currently 21.9C in south Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭pureza

Currently 30c here in central Tokyo with heavy rain and constant thunder and lightning

(A 4.7 earthquake too but you probably wouldn't feel one as weak as that here,I didn't)

Non scorchio in Sligo. Warm n cloudy though. Might get 2 or 3 hours sun later as mayo is sunny. Here's the cloud that never shifts from Sligo or Donegal

Once more Sligo and Malin the coldest places in Republic. Usually Malin is n we get ok weather. But prob be 20c for an hour at 3 and thatl be it for our Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Absolutely gorgeous day here in Dublin 14, couldn't ask for nicer conditions.

I'd take this over the 35-40C heat I experienced in Spain last week, it's just become too hot in the Mediterranean to holiday in July or August, this 22C and calm wind is bliss in comparison

I think most of us would be happy with 22c, sunny, and calm if that was the vast majority of our summer days!

Actually gone up to 17c now. Sorry Malin. U are on your own now as coldest. We might get to 22c if this stays. 22.6c is our "hottest" this Summer. Last year's was 28.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'm in London for the day and it's stunning, 28c but feels hotter than that, i'll have a chance later in the afternoon to sped a few hours in the Sun

I'm told it's also stunning in my home location with real warmth, unfortunately the forecast isn't particularly exciting for the weekend and we revert to kind as has been this Summer in general

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another nice day here in Meath, nothing exceptional average temperatures and some milky sunshine every now and then, but with a summer plagued by cloud, wind, drizzle and chilly temperatures this week has easily been the best and has a taste of summer to the week finally.

Advertisement