Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Nice morning again in Dublin although a little windy…pretty warm already. Hopefully stays nice for the Olympians this afternoon in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilly1910

Not a bad morning in Dublin, quite warm with the potential for a decent day, but unfortunately judging by our beloved national forecaster, today is supposed to be the best day of a pretty mixed looking week. I do agree that August has not been too bad, but not sure I'd go as far as stating that it's been a decent Summer. Unfortunately our expectations are so low these days that we're almost happy once it's not raining and it's somewhat warm, but what I'd give for a week or two of blue skies and temperatures above 20 degrees every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mykrodot

beautiful warm morning here in my part of Kerry…. but my goodness that thunder and lightening last night was unreal. I couldn't sleep between 1-4am! Massive claps of thunder that rolled on and on and on………..lots of very bright flashes of lightening…. wasn't expecting it at all! Local dogs were going mad, I felt so sorry for them.

Off to the beach now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yeah, forecast has been pretty hit or miss recently.

Looks to be a lovely morning here again in Donegal, looks like most the big rain and thunder showers from last night has past. It was rumbling most of the night here.

I think here in Donegal in particular we have set out expectations quite low for summer. It has by no means been decent this year but not the worst by any stretch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was a crazy night alright. My dog was whimpering for ages. Never saw anything like it before. Actually I did, in Brisbane 1996.

It's weird because this morning is lovely and there is no sign of the storm I.e. no fallen branches or floods etc. There was very little wind but the rain was torrential.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

We're very blessed to relocate to West Clare for the kids summer holidays as we can both 'work from home' from Digital Hubs provided by Clare Co.Council. So Im all over this forum from May until the kids go back to school.

We're off on our foreign holidays at the end of the week so thats me until 2025 - unless there is a big weather event over the winter.

I'd just like to say thanks to the real weather enthusiasts on this forum - its good to be able to pick up bits and pieces on the go from your input.

From my anecdotal perspective, while not a great summer temp/sunshine wise, it was a big improvement on 2023 where it seemed like it rained for 6 weeks non stop. The constant wind was the one stand out thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Phoenix Park and Oak Park warmest spots at 21 degrees, feels warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Nice day in Dub/Kildare - would be gorgeous if it wasn't for the strong breeze. But the nicest day in August so far in terms of sunshine, so I've taken a half day.

There was no lightning this direction last night, but I really enjoyed the amazing photos on the relevant thread here - some incredible sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Pleasent afternoon. Nice enough to sit in the back garden anyway and catch a few rays. 21c, Partly Cloudy N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

Nice summers day in Dublin, breezy with plenty of fair weather cloud but nice when sheltered from the wind.

The last third of July onwards has finally delivered something approaching summer around here at least, definitely nothing to write home about but a world away from the awful May to mid-July spell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree last third of July to today has been proper summer here in Dublin. In this part of the world, dry weather with a mix of sun and cloud and low 20s each day has to be considered a decent summer. The first half of the summer was poor and much colder than you would expect but the last few weeks have been very pleasant. Once its warm and dry that's as much as you can hope for most years. Obviously a heat wave is always a huge bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Real feel temperature up to 41c in England. 46c in a few places in Benelux

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

God why can't we get like 2 days with no clouds, every time I go outside the sun seems to go back in ffs!

I saw the blue skies on the LA part of the closing ceremony last night and it looked so alien to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

was in Dublin today. Again it’s all a matter of opinion and everyone obviously has a different heat and cold threshold. I didn’t find it especially warm and out of the sun it was just about bearable for me. The sun was in and out and by the afternoon it was breezy. When I got off the train in Limerick junction it was feckin cold a wind that would cut you in half! Now again I predicate this by saying I feel the cold and I was in a T-shirt. As someone else said the bar is so low that we’ll accept anything at this stage. Very dark and blustery tonight real autumn feel about it. Saturday to me was a proper summer day yesterday meh and today passable not exceptional but dry and until the evening pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Good chance of seeing the northern lights from now onwards and it's the peck of the annual August meteor shower up to 100 an hour is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

Interesting chart on ECMWF. Ex-tropical storm in 10 days time. Of course, will likely change quite a bit

Looks like it would be ex-Ernesto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭compsys

Well it got up to almost 23º today in parts of Dublin with relatively high humidity and there was plenty of sun. It wasn't roasting but I think most people would not have found today cold by any stretch. Even by Irish standards. My local beach was packed as was my local sea swimming spot when I went for a dip around 7pm. Loads of people were out in shorts and having fun. So I think most people found today quite pleasant. And not just because a lot of the summer has been very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

Yeah today was a fairly pleasant summers day in Dublin I'd say, dry, decent amounts of sunshine and temp around 20-22C all day. Nothing special but by Irish standards a pretty good day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Interesting skies in Reykjavik this evening, with a nice sunset to the west and what I believe to be mammatus clouds to the east heralding the arrival of the low that you had in Ireland overnight. Despite my last post, today actually ended up being a nice day here with good sunny spells. Models have not been good here lately as when I made that post on Saturday, this front was due this morning but instead, it arrived 11 hours later than forecast just two days out and is barely wetting the ground. It's somewhat understandable though because unusually, the rain is spreading in from the east due to the low taking a strange track, recurving off the west coast of Ireland to here. I'm hoping Wednesday's washout is also delayed but it's looking like a double whammy unfortunately because I come back home on Thursday and the same low pressure will be hitting Ireland then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next week generally doesn't look too bad, but not great at the same time. Temperatures generally 18 to 22C most days, plenty of dry intervals but some rain or showers at times too.

The very wet ensemble charts of the past few weeks have not verified and August to date has delivered 6 decent days which is much better than most Augusts over the past 20 years so things could be worse. We're almost half way through August and this month certainly seems like the warmer month compared to June and July which was mostly chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Much more gloomy start today than yesterday. Kitchen lights on 6am. One would nearly need a hi-vis this morning out and about.

Some drizzle. Layers not needed. Humid.

17⁰ Meath

Agreed. Would have loved August to compensate more for June and July with a good week or more long v.warm / sunny spell - but even though this hasn't happened it's definitely been a better month up to now with some low twenties, decently sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I didn’t at any stage say it was cold yesterday in Dublin. I said it was pleasant. By 18:30 yesterday evening over 100 miles away it was a lot cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A drizzly morning with the odd heavier burst. Was windy last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Drizzly mild morning here in the North East. Very lucky with the cloud cover last night, got some okay pics from the back garden.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Eugh, manky. Just back from walking the dog and both are soaked. In between heavy drizzle and rain, gusty enough to blow it here, there and everywhere. 17c N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭OldRio

Out earlier for my run. Rain and wind. 12C.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Warmish enough in Dublin City although very grey…I'd say it'll break 20 degrees again today.

Advertisement