Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

1929394959698»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭pureza

Another day above 20c in South Wicklow

Beautiful day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't know what trees you were seeing but every tree around me in Meath (and Longford) is green…..and there are plenty of them. If there are some yellowing leaves in the Dublin area, that would likely to be due to dryer than usual conditions so far this summer……of which there are still a couple of weeks of it left before we move into Irish meteorological Autumn.

As for the Americans calling this season Fall, Fall is over a month away in the USA, this year beginning on the 22nd of September @ 08:44 EDT.

Welcome fall! The autumnal equinox—the September equinox or the fall equinox—arrives on Sunday, September 22. Not only do temperatures drop, but plant life slows down, and so do we. Read about the first day of fall, plus some fun facts and folklore.

When Is the First Day of Fall? The Autumnal Equinox?

The fall equinox and the first day of autumn arrives on  Sunday, September 22, 2024, at 08:44 A.M. EDT in the Northern Hemisphere. The equinox occurs at the same moment worldwide.

Link:

It's always nice to learn new things 😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Winter 2024/2025 has about a 99.9% chance of the same oul rinse and repeat we see almost every winter with identical setups to low pressures and high pressure anchored over southern Europe and anything cold for Northern tips of Scotland, Scandi and eastern Europe. Strong PV, long fetch south-westerlies. All these 'drivers' that constantly get talked about in winter forecasts that support either a mild or cold winter, they basically all support the same oul pattern for our part of Europe.

At least with our summers you know there is going to be a half decent one every few summers and sometimes we get 2 or 3 decent ones in a row followed by a gap of crap summers and then back to good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see Ernesto could hit or even track close to us next week here is the current track , giving the forward speed at 64km/h that's 40 odd mph, we shall see anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

this sums it up perfectly. most of the summer 15 degrees grey and a nagging breeze. Relatively dry summer but no decent weather where I am at all. I know others on the west coast had a better June and July judging by the reports here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

Same, I really don't get the excitement or enthusiasm so many have for winter, as you say its just months and months of darkness, temperatures around 8C and endless wind and rain. The chance of a decent snowfall is exciting but it happens so rarely that overall I detest it as a season and would happily migrate to somewhere like the Canaries every year if I had the means.

But anyway back to today, not a great day in Dublin, dry but cool and grey, the past two days are the first hints of autumn after a brief respite of comfortable temperatures for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Seems to be tracking well to our west on the main model outputs this evening. Some yellow level gusts possible for exposed parts of the west coast based on current guidance but I don't think we'll be troubled by this one unless it takes a significant shift eastwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

For the current month you have to manually take the data (the daily mean wind speed) from the daily data page and calculate an average after you've received all the figures. For past months, you have to go to the historical database and download CSV files, use SQL or functions in Excel to calculate averages for past summers. If I remember to, I will do so when the time comes. That is no problem. That will probably be by the end of the first week of September that I will post about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

@sryanbruen Thanks for that info. Sounds like a huge amount of work! Probably beyond my technical skills. I will really appreciate if you get a chance to do it, but no bother if you don't have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes that's true , it's usually August, September and October we get the tail end of hurricanes 🌀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Don't think many weather enthusiasts in this country get too excited by winter anymore. There is little to get excited about. Winter has become an extended autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

It's a few years since I've used this forum with any regularity but winter was always by far the busiest season in the past at least, maybe as you say the boring autumnal nothingness of the past decade (2018 blizzard aside) has killed that interest.

Advertisement