Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to open a hole in this gully

• 01-06-2024 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can dig a hole inside this gully so I can dig a little french beside the footpath of my house and then have a pipe drain into the gully?

I attached the pictures and the gully gets the water from the gutters. The water I want to get rid of is from the driveway and footpath where the current garden doesn't drain correctly. Even a little bit of water from watering the plants is enough to stay there for a few days before it drains completely.

If it's not legal, plan B is to build a small soakaway and channel the water into it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

depends.
    is it could or surface water AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Sorry I didn't understood the question but this would only get surface water from rain or some water coming from the plants/garden.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Assuming you own the drainage within your site, and you are not adding rain/surface water into the foul drainage system, your Plan A is generally fine.

However, from a policy point of view, the local authority would prefer your Plan B. Policy generally is not to allow any additiion rain/surface water drainage into the public (surface water) drainage system and ideally it should be attenuated on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Thanks. I already halfway through the plan B for the back garden, when I started to think that maybe I could use this gully, but guess I'll just keep digging.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement