Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone sown garlic in June before?

Options
  • 01-06-2024 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

My wife is doing so right now. She's originally from China and apparently they do this there to harvest the leaves for cooking. Where she is from is much hotter and wetter than here so i'd imagine many things grow faster there than here.

I've read that if you plant them late they will just grow like an onion and wont split into cloves which needs cold but the "onions" are quite nice and are milder than the cloves would be. That all said, sowing late here is described as March or April not the beginning of June!

What are the chances we'll get anything useable in the kitchen at this stage?

Has anyone any experience of trying this before?, would love to hear how it turned out!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We planted ours very late, only a couple of months ago. They're still way too spindly to even stand a chance of harvesting any foliage.

We've a few decent clumps of wild garlic in the garden so have been using some of that instead.

Advertisement