Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is? “Appeared’ in my garden

Options
  • 01-06-2024 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

This (what looks like a) tree appeared in my garden - didn’t notice it until last winter when I tried to remove/move it. Google is telling me it’s a maple but I didn’t plant it! Could it have just seeded itself somehow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Could be a Sycamore.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A maple tree, possibly Norwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Looks like a sugar maple leaf, but I don’t think it is going to give you enough sap to yield syrup. The conditions are pretty hard to come by in Ireland, not cold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a sycamore. Pull it out now, unless you have masses of room and it's well away from buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Oh wow! Thanks all - I was thinking I could shift it to the left a little into the corner and admire it! I had such a hard time trying to take it out a few months ago I thought it must have been something i planted and forgotten about….will have to take it out unfortunately… I actually have two of them which the internet tells me is not unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks a bit 'spikey' to me to be a sycamore, but its certainly one of the family. The chances that you would want to keep it are pretty slim. Sycamores are definitely weed trees - they will grow anywhere (I have a very small one growing in a gutter and I have to work out how to get it out), there are a few sycamores around the garden and they produced young seedlings by the dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Norwegian Maple

Advertisement