Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a conviction affect your ability to vote or run?

Options
  • 01-06-2024 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭

With the whole Donald Trump stuff in the news, it got me thinking about the rights to run or to vote if you have a criminal conviction or are serving a sentence.

I was surprised (and happy) to see that if you are serving a custodial sentence then you are entitled to a postal vote.

I believe that you can't be elected to dail if you are bankrupt or are serving a sentence of more than 6 months, but there's no restrictions if you have previously served a sentence.

My personal view is that if you are an incarcerated individual you should still get to vote, and I am glad that this is possible.

I also strongly believe that, even if you have committed serious offences, you should be entitled to run for election on the basis that you have served your sentence. Leave it up to the electorate then to ultimately decide.

I've seen a few people suggest that they would believe the opposite of this, and I'm curious if I'm an outlier on my views or not. I'm aware that boards tends to lean more right than the general public but I'm still eager to see what people think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think people who have served their sentence should be able to vote and run for elected office.

I do not think that people who are currently serving custodial sentences should be able to vote or run for office.

The hypocrisy with the Republican party on this matter is nauseating. They have actively blocked the wish of the voters in states like Florida, where voters overwhelmingly passed an amendment to restore the voting rights of felons. They fear that ex-felons, who are disproportionately African American, would be natural Democrat voters and they therefore use everything in their power to deny them the vote where they can - even subverting the will of the people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In Ireland, many of the early TDs and Ministers were jailed at some point. Even our beloved (!) Dev was sentenced to death in 1916, and he became President.

Any country that was founded on revolution had leaders imprisoned at some point. Look at SA and Mandela.

Imprisonment is a badge of honor to a revolutionary. So a conviction should not matter, but of course it depends on the particular offence - but let the voters decide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

One of my local TDs was convicted of terrorism offences - dessie Ellis. He got 10 years in Ireland for possession of bomb making equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

If someone were to commit a crime while holding office, and the crime were an abuse of the powers of that office, then they should be barred for a reasonable period of time or permanently.

It'd be ideal if the list of crimes were reasonably tightly defined, but not an explicit list. There should be wiggle room to prevent people from trying to skirt the intention of the law.

Being barred from office forever for being in possession of drugs 20 years prior is unlikely to be widely supported, and I wouldn't support it either

• Registered Users Posts: 26,037 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You should be allowed run if you have done your time but with some exceptions.

If you are guilty of corruption or crimes relating to politics be that abuse of power or attempts at vote rigging, spying or something mad like that then no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd add Murder and Serious sexual crimes to that list of "permanent exclusion" offences

But otherwise , if you have served your time you should be allowed to both vote and run for office.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some current TDs and MEPs have been in prison:

Bernard Durkan, Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Ming Flanagan, Dessie Ellis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They could have left most of them in Prison and them would not be missed.

Me I think once you have served you sentence you should be allowed vote and run for office and as long as what a prisioner has done is not something like kill a person or commit a crime against the state then they should be allowed to vote.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Definitely to run. The fewer beliefs, convictions or principles you have the further you are likely to go in Irish politics…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

And a good few more should have been sent to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, gas that clare daly went to prison but P flynn did not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I generally think the decision should be left to the electorate, as distasteful as their choices sometimes are to me personally. Having permanent exclusion offences sits a bit uneasily with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭StoutPost

I have no problem with people being allowed to vote.

But I don't think people convicted of serious offences should be allowed run for office.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This is devils advocate but what you're saying is you'd be ok with a paedophile voting again but the father who killed the paedophile who's been abusing his child for a decade should not be allowed to vote? Or a guy who got convicted for not paying their taxes (crime against the state) should not be allowed to vote but the guy who smuggled in 100kg of heroin and sold it on the streets is ok?

I think that ultimately there should be no limitations on voting simply because it can, and will, be abused in some form down the line. In addition if someone has committed "insert heinous crime" but can still get enough people to vote them in why should they not be allowed? The punishment is decided by the court; once they are released they should regain all rights as a citizen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Don't think there should be limitations on either voting or running.

However, I do think there should be something like the Garda vetting system required for all candidates with any convictions, together with date of conviction and sentence imposed, included on the notice of poll as part of the candidates' details.

Effectively a column added to the below statutory notice.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2024-05/notice-of-poll-update-30-05-2024.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Murt2024

Politics be a good place if your good at money laundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've no issue with anyone voting, convictions or no, as they still have a say in how the country is run. However I think more serious convictions should have a penalty of not being allowed to run or hold public office. Things like SA, murder, manslaughter etc. I know that people may get out after serving their time for this & I've no issue with them rejoining society if they've been deemed no longer a threat but I don't think they should hold positions of power in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But shouldn't that be for the wider public/electorate to decide?

I don't think so. I would only limit it to the really higher level convictions & maybe those convicted by the special criminal court but I think if you do commit one of those acts, you do need to face some long term consequences & 1 of those should be not being able to hold public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But surely the sentence itself should be the consequence for the convicted person? Why should they have additional issues/restrictions beyond their sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The lack of ability to hold office would become part of the sentence.

Similar to how you could get something like 6 months in prison for certain driving offenses but also have your license suspended for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Absolutely not

I think matrim answered for me there & I agree. Same way that a convicted sex offender has to be on a register etc. It's a consequence to your actions for the most serious of crimes. I'm not saying someone who's gotten a few months for doing something stupid should not be allowed to run for local elections. But say for example, someone who waterboarded someone in their garage & was convicted of that should not be allowed to hold public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you are in prison then you can't carry out the functions of the position you were elected to, unless you were elected as an MEP it seems

Any other conviction let the people decide. Especially in an Irish context we wouldn't have had Eamon DeValera or Gerry Adams able to run for election if we had such a rule

Massive difference between Eamon DeValera & Gerry Adams. Eamon DeValera was never convicted by an Irish court system but rather by a colonial one & held office after the establishment of a whole new state. It's very different to someone convicted in our courts today. And Gerry Adams he was interned & then convicted of trying to organise an escape. Now I wouldn't be a fan of the man, but neither of them are the type of convictions for murder, manslaughter etc that have been mentioned as barriers to holding office.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That would annoy both SF and the far-right so it's a thumbs up from me 👍️

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

and we'd have been far better off without either.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Was Gerry convicted by an Irish court or a colonial one? N

Well he was convicted by a UK court which has power in Northern Ireland and there hasn't been an establishment of a new state since, so does still stand as a difference. Now if Northern Ireland became it's own state & decided he could run, that's different. He also wasn't convicted of one of the offences that anyone has noted should preclude someone holding office. All he was ever convicted of was attempting to escape/organise an escape. And those convictions were quashed by the UK supreme court in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A paedophile-killing father is still a murderer, however righteous people might think that is, and voting for someone of their ilk is a vote for vigilantism and someone who is happy to take the law into their own hands.

I know it'd be popular on an emotional level but logically its a dangerous precedent.

Advertisement