Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow probate

Options
  • 02-06-2024 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

A relative passed away last year. I'm executor of the will. Last October I provided all info and documents the solicitor requested in order to apply for probate.

This week I emailed the solicitor to see how the application was progressing. The solicitor said that they haven't submitted the application yet. They said they are waiting for a reply from a US company regarding shares, that they sent two letters without reply and will now send another.

The shareholding is very small. Not sure of the exact value, under €100 I think, dividends are never above €1.

Is is possible to proceed with the application as is? Is there anything else that can be done to progress?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Just wondering if 8/9 months is too long for a solicitor to sit on this without applying for probate? Can the shares be discounted from the estate (perhaps with agreement of all beneficiaries) as they have so little value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes too long. I know my friend went through something similar after her mom death but it was just solicitor incompetence.

You may have to complain.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

We were able to apply for probate with a valuation of the shares on date of death. The delay arose after probate in disposing of the shares that had complicated provenance. So the delay was in payment to residual beneficiaries

Advertisement