Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove fibre glass insulation from an attic

• 02-06-2024 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

I am living in an older bungalow (approx 200 sq m) for just under 2 years now.

Have been planning attic insulation overhaul for some time. It's got a huge amount of old fibreglass insulation up there. Wreaks havoc with my wife's asthma anytime she's up there so would like it gone. Planning to put down Knauf loft roll.

The scale of the removal of what's there though is staggering. Am planning to get the right safety kit and just start bagging the old stuff and laying the new stuff section by section.

I have to ask though, does any machine or service exist in Ireland that would do this part? Have Googled extensively and can't find anything. All the industrial vacs appear to be US based.

Or if anyone has any tips/experience on how to tackle they'd like to share that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I just got a super-sized skip, put on all the PPE and got it done by slinging the stuff through the house and then vacuuming afterwards.

In your situation you should prob bag it in the attic, using whatever size bag size fits through your hatch, and then tape the bags before sending them through the house. Otherwise you'll be causing more problems in the house than you solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

This ^^ It's a dirty job. I did my own. Wear a mask, hat, hood up, gloves old clothes etc and get stuck in. Try and pick a day where temps are not too high as it can get fairly hot up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

If you need a hoover to tidy up after removal, I'd highly recommend this one

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-ttb775vac-1400w-20ltr-wet-dry-vacuum-220-240v/233kh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

I think we had new layer of insulation laid over the old to bring it up to modern standard. It was rolls of insulation and better than the loose blown type I had in my last 1970's house that defo led to asthma later in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if your wife just being near the insulation is causeing that level of problem i would tread carefully.

if it was me i would put a velux window into the attic for ventilation and allow you to take the bags out without going through the house. wear old clothes and dump them afterwards. its a horribly dirty job .

could an asbestos removal company do that kind of work. fiberglass isnt as bad but it would need simialer methods to remove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Buy the biggest bin bags you can find and stuff the bags. Then use a hoover to suck out all the air and tape the bags closed.

Advertisement