Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German police officer dies after stabbing on Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So if people talk bad of Islam they are fair game to be attacked?

The Catholic Church has been ripped to bits with criticism for decades but you don't see catholics stabbing indiscriminately or driving vans through crowds.

They need to learn to accept a bit of criticism without going nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Read that headline and report and you would get the impression it was the 'anti-islam' protestors that done the stabbing...it's no wonder people are turning to the right and alternative media when you see the 'establishment' telling outright lies to people, just report what happened and stop the gas lighting and innuendo to make a political point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭highpitcheric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The fake disgust post was coming like clockwork.

The poster does make a good point that it's only crimes by immigrants or muslims that some people care about.

• Advertisement

because theres good reason to believe that they are motivated by an ideology.

which is far more dangerous than crimes motived by diverse reasons.

try it with the far right as an example.

1. man in serious condition after attack by muggers.
    2. man in serious condition after attack by neo-nazi marchers.

Both have the same outcome. One of them infers something sinister and of scale happening in wider society. Motive matters. The law very much focuses on motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Maybe because the crimes committed by immigrants are avoidable whereas home grown crime has complex and diverse causes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Shooting cop hesitated, visibly so. People complain about how US cops are trigger happy, and to an extent they are, but it's unlikely a US cop would have have given an armed man the opportunity to continue stabbing. Reaction times are just too long for a "wait and see" approach. Even when ready, it's a quarter to a third of a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Another video from a different angle.

https://x.com/ivanahiinion/status/1796854783812538539

Easy to critique a life or death call from ones armchair.

didnt some u.s.cops sit outside that texas school shooting and twiddle their badass merican thumbs for a couple of hours.

And I watched a video of shaniqua (rip) putting a few rounds in a u.s. cop just the other day. That was after being chased, allowed back in her car, twice tazed and told to drop it. While clearly reaching.

I must admit i made some armchair police chief judgements about u.s. cops myself that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That RTE article is something else. You've got to read several paragraphs in before they hint the attacker was an Islamist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

If anyone wants to know why some people consider RTE fake news then read this article. BBC was the same "attacker" was mentioned and "far-right". Sure anyone will mistrust the BBC after reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

This will happen here too, the government, gardai and media are tying themselves in knots painting concerned Irish citizens as the problem. I just hope they put as much effort into dealing with the trouble makers we are importing vs the heavy handed tactics to intimidate those with opposing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Can you give an example of the heavy handed tactics that intimidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not allowed discuss cases before the courts, boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How convenient. I wonder why these cases are before the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Exactly, some guy comes in and destroys his passport, won’t tell anyone where he is from and immediately claims asylum. Then goes on to commit murder or any other serious crime. Of course people are going to ask questions about that.

Anyone who comes into this country seeking asylum or a better life and commits a serious crime should be thrown out of the country after their sentence. I don’t care if they are voluntarily repatriated or sent floating off in a boat, just get them out.

Our own homegrown criminals, of which there are many were born here so we have no option but to deal with them here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That American cops get it wrong by inaction sometimes, and believe me the Uvalde cops have been well excoriated, doesn't mean that when a European cop gets it wrong by inaction they are any less wrong. (And the reverse is true, when a US cop gets it wrong absent any justification to shoot). Those facts are just as valid from my armchair even if I hadn't made real world shoot/no-shoot decisions (which I have).

The error is (unlike Uvalde) understandable and forgivable. European police are not as often confronted with lethal threats. There is a culture which defaults against using lethal force and which seems to default against a knife justifying it. He shouldn't be charged, disciplined or any other such, but he is going to live with the knowledge that he could have prevented the death of his friend or colleague but didn't. I'll pretty much guarantee he's going to be second-guessing himself for many years.

My point is that in the future this incident should be remembered here on Boards next time there is a Nchenko video or something similar from the US. Knife-wielding men at close range are highly dangerous in Europe and the US both and extremely careful consideration must be taken before criticizing someone who shoots such a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well it’s good timing regarding the European elections at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What's really disgusting is that No one here really cares at all about police getting murdered. They only care about the offenders. I would think any actual police person would think exactly that.

I have no idea how you come to the conclusion police are not human to me, that's too ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Unrelated? I thought the thread was about police officers being murdered. But I see my mistake now, no one cares about murders of police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's sad but true that its going to take something very bad to happen in this country before the woke lefties realise what a total mess that the country is in. And how seriously dangerous some of our towns and cities have become. Alot of Europe is now seeing this with the policeman in Germany a costly but small example of what yet is to come. Our law enforcement has shown that its just barely fit to handle our own countries problems without taking on other far worse countries problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

It's fascinating that within 30 minutes of a post about a police officer being stabbed to death in Germany you've managed to show up with a link to a shooting from January 2022 for some reason.

What's your thought process there?

I assume you had to actively go and search for cases where police in Germany had been killed?

If this was just intended to be a "gotcha" to try and say "well nobody cared when 2 German police were shot two and a half years ago so why do you all care now" then it's worth noting that your post was only the 8th in the thread and was posted before even 30 minutes had passed. Not a lot of time for people to even learn about this thread and this case nevermind trawl up a case from years ago to also care about.

Seems like you acted very quickly to contain the conversation and to try and steer the discussion.

What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did something not already happen in this country?

What about the guy who stabbed young kids and their teaching assistant?

I'd call that fairly serious.

If a big lump of a fella starts stabbing in Grafton Street or O'Connell Street, how many will he kill before he is overpowered?

And there is no doubt, it will happen here. Its only a matter of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

gowan out of that , the only value that mans life had to you was so you could score a few internet points . im very sure you have no idea what and "actual police person " would think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't believe the cop hesitated to shoot in case it was racist. That's frankly ridiculous. They hesitated to shoot because in a busy space where it wasn't clear what was going on (the bypasser who mistakenly tackled the wrong person for example) opening fire brings a whole new level of risk to the public into the equation.

Yes, in hindsight maybe he could have opened fire sooner, but their training is meant to cover all eventualities, and learning to take a beat to see what's happening is not, fundamentally, a bad approach. The idea that they should be taught to shoot first and ask questions later though, as @Manic Moran is suggesting, is far worse in the longer term, IMO.

As Uvalde shows, it doesn't even work anyway when there's a real threat - only against some doped up kid who's probably not even got a real gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

German police officer dies after stabbing on Friday

That's the thread title, it's pretty specific tbf, not sure where the confusion is coming from.

It isn't fair to suggest that people don't care about police being murdered because they didn't make the same connection you did to a case in a region of Germany most people in Ireland wouldn't have much knowledge of.

If you want my opinion, that was a sad case as well, awful that those police officers died. It has no relationship to this topic though.

Glazers Out!

maybe there is a cultural diffrrence, or not, i dont know. One cant tell from one video.

If there is some difference between u.s. and e.u. cops in readiness to fire it would probably be down to the u.s' screwed up relationship with firearms.

if you want to see a u.s. officer take his time firing his weapon, and making a bit of a balls of it, look up the case of Nika N. Holbert.

No I didn't have to search I was well aware of the incident as it involved two police officers being murdered. But like I said, posters don't care about police being murdered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement