Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small tree recommendations

Options
  • 02-06-2024 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a tree that sprouted in a flower bed beside the garden wall a few years ago. I cut it back a few times but it kept regrowing so I just decided to let it go for the past few years, and now it's approx 2.5m tall.

However, I finally looked up what type of tree it is and can see it's Ash. It looks like it's a species definitely not suitable for the location, but I do like the bit of privacy it gives between us and the neighbours at that spot, so I'd like to replace it with something more appropriate.

I'd like something that would max out at around the 2.5/3m mark and would be ok next to a wall, has anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hawthorn, crabapple, holly (initially slow but once it gets established its much like anything else) come to mind, but there are lots of shrubs that would also work and can be kept trimmed to a size you want.

How much sun does that spot get? How much width can you accommodate at the bottom, or does it have to be a tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

It doesn't have to be a tree, but I've some climbing roses either side, so a tree or narrow shrub would be best. The current spot is semi shaded.

Advertisement