Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a good or bad race

Options
  • 02-06-2024 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭

So what do you like or don’t like in a race. My own one is a tough finish. I don’t like courses that stick in a dirty hill near the end. Especially if they could have done it the other way around.

Cups and still treat water stations like they use bottles. You simply can’t hydrate in a race using cups and have the same gap as you did with bottles. I know some people can do a marathon on fresh air but the vast majority can’t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Paper cups was the first thing that came to mind. Races that don't offer transfers, in this day and age it's just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bullethead

Yep agree with not having paper cups, it's a right pain.

What makes a good race is..

good pre event information

accurate course

Well organised start area

Good spread afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Some things that make a race good for me.

Organised start corral with areas for predicted finish time - doesn't eliminate the issue of people being out of position but helps reduce it.

Multiple timing mats - if you've ran well it's great to see how many people you've passed.

Finish line commentary - Raheny 5 mile do this really well and it adds so much atmosphere to the event. I absolutely adore Liam Moggan at the Dub race series events.

'Against the flow' section - Most likely totally alone in this one 😃 but I love racing alongside runners going in the opposite direction. Think the hairpin at Raheny or the sections in the Dublin half. Find it inspiring on the out watching faster runners, and confidence building on the in watching fast runners who are behind you.

Souvenir T-shirt - Not massively important but I do like to add to the collection. Meh to medals, gimme a t-shirt.

A good standard - You can't beat a race that attracts the cream of Irish club runners. Love watching them, how they warm up etc

Track Finish - Not essential for a good race but always makes for a great finish.

Social finish area - You need a nice space to sit around and share war stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

I'm actually the opposite on the t-shirt. I'll hang any and all medals at home but there are very few event t-shirts that will make it into the running clothing rotation.

Good visible pacers. I feel like DCM and race series always lead the way on this point. Others have been good too but these always stick out as leaders on this point.

Well organised finish funnel(s) - I've just run either fast or far. The medal and t-shirt can wait a few moments. Give me some water/fuel as soon as I have crossed the line please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not really the difference between a good and a bad race but on the above, the trend of not giving a "free" t-shirt after the race anymore and having to pay extra for in (despite the race fee remaining the same).

It being well organized is huge, not having to worry about anything other than just running is a big benefit, well organized start area, bag drop, well placed and well organized water stations, well marked and managed course (particularly when running on open roads).

Outside of the race organisation, being familiar with the course can be huge, if you feel you have a bit left in the tank, you'll know exactly where you are and when you can empty it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

A fast course but a fair one. I don't want a crazy downhill or a short course or long. I want it accurate and I want it flat and I want a good surface. A decent field helps. I have nothing to aim for except a time target.

Good parking with little fuss and able to get away easily.

Option for refund or transfer would be great.

Sunday not Saturday. Saturday is parkrun day.

Not too late in the day. That's the one quibble about Raheny, would much prefer to have it at 11 or 12 instead of 3pm.

A gluten-free option in the feed afterwards (yes, I'm one of those).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All good points. Why do you think Raheny 5 happens so late in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Tradition from the 80s, it couldnt be held before 1.30pm because Mass was still ongoing and then to hold it at 3pm meant that by the time people had finished holy hour was over and the pubs were open again for that post race pint.

Thats just my 2c but from growing up in the 70s & 80s nothing happened on Sunday mornings because of mass, GAA etc was all afternoon schedules while the pubs where closed, once the game was over then it was back to the clubhouse for a pint (or many pints 🙂)

Advertisement