Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build in an exposed area

Options
  • 03-06-2024 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to commence a self build pretty shortly on a 2500 sq ft bungalow on an exposed site approx 400m distant and 50m elevation above the shore. The site is pretty open to southerly and easterly winds.

Last week I read something about full-fill insulation in certain parts of the UK being unsuitable in exposed conditions and it made me wonder whether I should be specifying anything different from the standard in terms of insulation, windows, roofing, plastering etc. any advice? To make the most of the views, we are opting for full height glazing over a good proportion of the living area.

Over time I'd home to establish a bit of vegetation for shelter, but thats min 5 years away.

Advertisement