Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Kilcock

Options
  • 03-06-2024 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone! Quite new to this forum, if this is not the right place to post my question MOD please feel free to move this around :)

Me and my OH are from abroad. After living in Dublin for a few years, finally we are (kinda) settled and are thinking to buy a house in Ireland with the help of HTB scheme.

Due to the requirements set for HTB, we are looking into where new developments are available and places that are commutable to/from Dublin (both of us are mostly working from home and need to go to the office one to two times a week) - and then we noticed Kilcock in Kildare.

Can anyone who is currently living in Kilcock (or have lived in Kilcock) share how is living in Kilcock be like? I tried to search online but most of the comments were made 10+ years ago 😅 We have a little baby so the main aspects I would love to know are about safety, school, anti-social behaviour, places/activities for family etc.

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Kilcock is a lovely little town, but is starting to expand fairly quickly and is a bit over shadowed by Maynooth just up the road.

So the good things are it's a quiet, safe town with a lot of sports clubs - between GAA, the Rugby/Cricket club at North Kildare, is on a Greenway so great for cycling and also unusually a canoe polo team.

There is a good selection of primary schools, but not so much by secondary - there is one, but a lot of students travel to Maynoth for secondary school.

You also have a train line for commuting to Dublin, and easy access to the M4.

Downsides -

it can be a bit quiet, only about 3 pubs and a few restaurants

Traffic through the town can be bad, especially at school times as really there's only 1 way thtough town and everything gets caught up at the bridge junction.

There's a lot more housing going in, so whether facilities keep up is to be seen.

The train timetable is not nearly as regular as the service that goes to Maynooth. There is talk of an upgrade in the future but at the moment Kilcok only gets the train all the way from Sligo, while Maynooth gets a more regular service

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4_7solla

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed comment.

Compare to living in big towns, we actually prefer living in a little quiet town - and that sounds great for Kilcock from what you've described (Considering it may provide more opportunities for people to connect with each other :) )

We are also thinking to visit there for a day trip or something like that to understand more about its vibe etc. Hopefully we can get a better idea of what is Kilcock look like after the visit!

Advertisement