Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over 55s living/ Long term illness help

• 03-06-2024 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I posted in the Tipperary forum, specifically Thurles but it is very quiet.

My relative has been diagnosed with a life long illness that is going to get worse over time affecting the nervous system, walking etc will become difficult, it already is. I am trying to see what might be suitable for her.

She currently rents but the house is not suitable as the stairs are very steep. She is also currently working and earning too much to qualify for HAP or a council house. So I'm not really sure what options there are. There is no reason for her to stop working and she wouldn't want to. Between one thing and another she never bought a house, and with this now and being 58 I think that ship has sailed.

Where can we look for some guidance and what to expect with regards to her living situation in future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭xyz13

Move out (apartment) and maybe hire a caregiver?

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is there some sort of sheltered accommodation available? An older friend rents a small semi-detached bungalow on the grounds of the local nursing home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Presuming your relative is living alone, I would suggest they start planning for their future now, and the first step is beginning a search for a one bed ground floor apartment.

Then, when eventually she does need to stop working, she can apply for assistance with her rent. Currently, a landlord cannot end a tenancy because a tenant's circumstances change and they need to apply for HAP which is the most likely outcome for your friend.

But there are rules to HAP, and one of them is accommodation must be a suitable size. So for example, they won't approve HAP for a 2/3 bedroom house for a single person.

Another suggestion, is she could apply to one of the Approved Housing Bodies in her county. (Again, probably won't qualify until she needs to stop working). I have a friend, a single lady, who was housed in a one-bed apt by Respond on grounds of a permanent, irreversible disability. (She was in full-time employment, but was under the earnings threshold.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helpintipp

Thanks all. I have been keeping an eye on Daft etc. There are no one beds in the area. @Ezeoul I didn't know that they wouldn't approve HAP for a 'bigger' house than needed. It is a tiny house but technically has 3 bedrooms.

She does live alone. I will talk to her but unless I do the leg work it is likely nothing will be done

I have heard there is an over 55s apartment block in Thurles but I cannot find it on google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Talk to the Thurles Lyons Trust Housing Association. If their own offerings (which include both social and privately rented accommodation) don't suit or aren't available, they might be able to tell you about other options in the area.

@Gregor Samsa thanks a mill :)

Advertisement