Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost aerial reception

Options
  • 03-06-2024 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi

We have an aerial on the chimney.

Edit didn't think I posted this...sorry

I have a connection from the aerial on he roof to my TV

In general I get no signal or very few channels. The cable is connected to a booster box. It's an old box and the cable is split. There is no coax connection just bare cable.

I scanned a few times today and got 11 channels incl Rte 2 and tv3 but not Rte 1 or Rte junior. The channels jump a bit with poor signal.

Not sure if the booster box could be updated and if I should crimp end points to the cable.

Attached is a photo of the booster

Any thoughts that can help?

Thanks

Post edited by obriendj on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The unit in the picture is a power supply for a masthead amplifier somewhere close to the aerial.

I assume this was for an aerial to receive the UK channels. Not required for Saorview reception.

If either the power supply or masthead amplifier is faulty it could reduce the Saorview signal.

Can you post a picture of your chimney installation?

It could also be faulty cable or bad connections or misaligned aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Thanks

It could well be an issue with the cable..

The photo of the aerial is attached.

It could be the connection into the TV itself might be damaged. I will borrow a TV from a friend this week.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That looks like the masthead amplifier on the pole below the aerial.

Can you figure out where the aerial is pointing, maybe at a UK transmitter in NI or across the Irish sea?

Have a look at the Saorview coverage checker to see which direction is your nearest Saorview transmitter.

The problem here is finding out where the issue is. You will probably require an aerial installer to troubleshoot the setup.

For me I would check any accessible connections for security, beyond that a faulty power supply or amplifier.

Advertisement