Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystallise a loss to offset profitable trades?

Options
  • 03-06-2024 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some opinions on whether this is a worthwhile effort. I am doing quite well in my equity portfolio currently versus the disaster that my non-BTC crypto portfolio has become.

I'm thinking of selling out of biggest crypto loser to offset the tax due on a small disposal of part of my equities. e.g crystallise a 30k loss in crypto to offset a 30k gain in a stock position.

I know it'll likely lead to an audit to check my sums, opening positions and so on but, I think it's a worthwhile tactic? Or am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I did this, on a much smaller scale than you.

I had experienced 99% losses on bank shares bought during 2008-2010, with no hope of ever breaking even, so I sold them to use the capital loss against a capital gain made the same year on other shares.

Maybe post the query on AAM to get answers from professionals in finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It would be worthwhile especially if it's a position that won't recover into a profit in the near future. You can't offset losses backwards, only utilise in current year and then brought forward if excess losses. It wouldn't make sense to pay tax on a gain in 2024 to then liquidate a loss in 2025 that perhaps you cannot utilise in future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's pretty much my own thinking too. I'm mulling it over a while and the current skew in my unrealised profits in equities V unrealised crypto losses have me thinking I might not ever have a chance to benefit this much from loss farming again.

I'd likely also be able to back into my crypto position too as, despite the current state of the investment there, I really do see future upside.

Thanks Geuze, appreciate the info. I'm currently digging out my trade history and sorting out my buy-in prices as I'd expect to have the losses queried at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have done this with equities - sold out of a long time negative position to offset gains on a winner. Gives me a larger balance with which to fund the next dividend earner. I'm eyeing up just such a pairing of trades at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I crystallised the loss this afternoon. Down 93% from my BEP. Oddly not at all bothered by the final number as I can at least offset against other far more profitable positions. I'll likely reopen a position again in 28days hopefully at price lower than I sold at🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement