Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Options
  • 03-06-2024 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

Hello all, you're all very welcome to the 2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

This is the 14th year that Boards has offered support and advice to DCM (Dublin City Marathon) Novices. In 2009, -amadeus-- composed the opening symphony. Rainbow kirby took over in 2010, Raycun in 2011, followed by Younganne in 2012. career_move kept the show on the road in 2013, succeeded by Ososlo for the 2014 stanza. Dubgal72 with her expert coaching managed to get her crew through in 2015, while the 2016 edition was hosted by the notorious (not really!) nop98, in 2017Wubble Wubble did a sterling job to bring Wubble's Wonders to the start line, in 2018ariana' took over and expertly guided her troops through to October, 2019 saw the calm & collected Mr. Guappa get his crew to the start line. Unfortunately, due to Covid DCM 2020 & DCM 2021 didn't happen but thankfully Laineyfrecks took over the reins and lead the group out of isolation and into the land of races again with her expert guidance for 2022 . MisterJinx followed up with a very successful thread in 2023 bringing his fledgelings to the starting line – myself included! 

So we’ve flown the nest and here we are, back to present you with the 2024 edition... 

About the Novices thread 

This thread is aimed at anyone considering doing the Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, on Sunday October 27th. It isn't limited to those who haven't run a marathon before, maybe you’ve ran one but it's a few years ago and you're getting back into it or maybe you ran it but it didn't go well and now you're looking for a different approach...We have two possible training plans for you to follow and we are here to guide you along the way in your training. 

This forum encourages discussion about all aspects of your training both with your fellow novices and with the community of experienced runners on the boards A/R forum to help so don’t be afraid to put your hand up and ask any questions you have, don’t be shy, we all started somewhere, and I can guarantee that it will have been asked and answered before! There’s no such thing as a stupid question. 

The Training 

Training for any marathon is tough, we’re not going to lie, it involves adapting your body to the rigours and demands of 26.2 miles of running. It does help if you can spare a lot of time to devote to it, it can involve a fair amount of running at stupid o'clock as your runs get longer. Having your better half or family on board with you is really crucial, as they will be the ones supporting you throughout your training and then your biggest cheerleaders on the day of your Marathon!  

Our training plans commence on Monday, June 24th, which is 3 weeks from today. We would recommend that you have been running quite regularly for at least a year. Come June 24th, you want to be running comfortably 3-4 times a week, every week, covering at least 20 miles (32km) per week. If you want some advice on how to safely build your mileage up to 20 miles per week over the next couple weeks, then we're here for that too.  

Have a look at the two training plans on offer and see if you can find a way to fit one of them into your life for 18 weeks. Can you fit this in your daily routine, your work schedule, your holiday plans, your family life? If you're unsure, just try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. The mileage in the programs will go up, so be realistic in your self-assessment. If you have doubts, post here and we'll give an honest assessment if we think you're ready, and which plan will suit.  Commitment & Consistency are really important things when you make the big decision to run your first marathon, they are what got myself & many, many other novices to the start line and the completion of our very first Marathons. If you can commit to the plan and stay consistent with your training – that's half the battle. 

Training Plans 

The Hal Higdon Novices Plan is a widely used novice marathon plan, I’ve used his plans for other races myself and like that they are not too overwhelming. His marathon novice plan is a simple, and straightforward plan, which slowly increases the weekly mileage to eventually include a 20 mile training run, and has step-back weeks built in to help the body adapt and recover. It uses 3 mid-week runs, which will slowly increase in length, and a longer weekend run. Ideally, you would mix in one day of cross-training, too. 

The Boards Plan for 2024 is for slightly more experienced runners. It includes more variety in paces (either "easy" pace, or PMP ("planned marathon pace")), it includes strides on some of the easy runs, and generally covers more miles - e.g. 2 x 20 milers. 

Both plans include all the Dublin Race Series build-up races (the Fingal 10k in Swords on July 14th, the Frank Duffy 10 Mile on August 17th in the Phoenix Park, and the Dublin Half Marathon on September 22nd in the Phoenix Park). You don't have to run these races, we appreciate that many people don’t live near Dublin but it is recommended to try one or more of them or an alternative race of similar distance during the program to give yourself a feel for running at race pace, to get some practice in preparing yourself for a race and to see how much you've progressed. You may find after a bit of research that there are races of similar distances taking place around the country which loosely tie in with the DCM training cycle. If the dates of your chosen races don't tie in exactly with the plan then don't worry - we can advise you on how to restructure the plan as we go on. Getting a few races in can really build your confidence & give you a feel for what it's like at an event, the nerves, the planning, the atmosphere all add to the race experience. 

There are many more plans out there of course, but we recommend that you choose one of the above and trust the plan you choose! Both of these plans have got countless runners across the line over the past 14 years and they can get you across the line in 2024! Don’t look too far ahead in the plan and panic at the sight of 20 miles – take each week or two as it comes and go with it.  

General Guidelines 

Stick to the Plan - The longest runs are the most important. You can of course switch runs around within a week if you need to. If you have to skip a run, try make it one of the short runs. When it's gone, it's gone. Do not go chasing lost mileage in subsequent weeks. 

Run slow - Once you think you run slow enough, run even slower. You will not be able to complete all the training miles if you don't run the majority of them slow (slower than you will run on the day itself and possibly slower than you have ever run). If you can have a conversation with someone else or with yourself that’s a good sign that you are going slow. 

Once the program is about to start, we can talk then about how to determine your training paces. 

Be realistic - A marathon is no mean feat – it’s a physical or mental challenge - hopefully, you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative and know you can adjust it as you work through your training plan. The marathon, especially your first one, is completely unknown territory, it has so many variables that can impact on your time. However, don't fear the marathon - this can lead you to make poor decisions and to try to progress too far, too fast, too soon. Your goal is to arrive at race day healthy, energised and ready to go - so respect the distance, but recognise it is achievable. 

Listen to your body - If something doesn't feel right, stop your run. If it continues, seek professional guidance. As per general Boards guidelines, we cannot offer medical advice. Know your body, what feels right for you, listen to it. 

Be sensible - Things like nutrition, alcohol, water, and sleep. Paying attention to these things will reap benefits in the long run. Everything in moderation (except for the sleep part!). You are fuelling your body to train for and take part in a marathon – make sure you are running on good fuel. 

And Here Is Your Host... 

I’d been watching the DCM Novices thread for a few years, silently observing in the background, in awe of the training and commitment that others were putting in. My husband ran DCM in 2019 so I seen first hand the work and support it takes. During 2020 with the bit of spare time I actually trained on the QT and did the virtual Dublin marathon. I wanted to see if I could actually do a marathon and its training before putting my hat into the ring for a real marathon event. Himself did DCM again in 2022 and while spectating along the route I said to myself “I want that to be me next year”.  

In 2023 I joined a fantastic group of fellow novices and gained a lot of knowledge from the more experienced runners here too. I enjoyed checking in every week, getting my thoughts from the previous week down on paper (or screen in this case) and seeing how my fellow novices were getting on. The support and encouragement is amazing, and it’s good to know that there are others in the same boat as you. It is especially helpful if you are doing the training on your own as sometimes it can be hard to know if you are doing it right, it’s a good place to have a rant and a moan and a place to celebrate the small wins that your family or friends just might not understand. The group helped me to get to the start line feeling fit and ready to tackle the challenge! The buzz on DCM was like nothing I’d ever experienced before, even though I’ve spectated a couple of times. You really feel like you are part of something much greater than yourself, the support along the route is unbelievable – I still get goosebumps when I think of the crowds at Myos corner in Chapelizod, coming up at Clonskeagh before turning onto Fosters Avenue and from Ballsbridge onwards into the finish. I completed it in 4:38 – which I was fairly happy with. It wasn’t plain sailing – I'm not sure any marathon is – but overall I was quite happy with how it went for me and that I was prepared as I could be lining up at the start. 

Being perfectly honest here – I actually didn’t follow either the Boards or HH plans. I’m in an athletics club and the club provided its members with a plan which I followed as it tied in with the club training sessions and it meant I had company for my long runs at the weekend. That’s what worked for me personally. But no matter which plan you choose you have to try fit it in around a busy life just like everyone else these days. I’m at the life stage where childcare is no longer a factor so this helped. But life was busy nonetheless. The young pup (my one and only) had just done his Leaving Cert so Aug & Sept were busy with getting organised for a big move away for college and the worry of my baby flying the nest. Sept and Oct are busy times for me in work with tax deadlines. But you somehow find a way to fit it all in. We’d been there before (twice) with my husband so we were already a bit prepared for it from a family and household point of view.  

Thankfully I will not be taking on this mean feat of running the Novice thread by myself, I will have two mentors to assist me which I will update on shortly. Alongside that, the whole Boards Athletics and Running community is behind you, and no doubt they will drop in with some great advice and support where needed. 

However you got here, whether you stumbled into this thread by chance, were directed here, or like myself have lurked for years before finally taking the plunge, you will not regret making us part of your DCM 2024 journey! 

Joining in the Fun😁 

Wanna be part of this amazing journey? I hope you still do and I haven’t scared you off! You’ve done well to have read this far! Feel free to introduce yourself if you want to participate. All are welcome. To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions: 

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? 
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? 
    • The most important question - Why are you running this marathon? 

  

Thanks for reading. Once again, welcome to the thread. I have a feeling this is going to be a very special DCM and 14th edition of the Mentored Novices thread, so why not jump on board & be part of this journey, you won't regret it 😉 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great too see this up and running again for DCM2024! You are in really great hands with @Sunny Dayz who I know will be an excellent mentor for you this year and take you on this incredible journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck @Sunny Dayz looking forward to seeing this one progress 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Absolutely thrilled to see this thread up & running again. As a previous novice who had no clue what they were doing in 2019 (not much better now🤣) I followed my 1st ever marathon plan with the support of the wonderful mentors & the whole boards community (which I made some great friends) I can highly recommend joining in. I am now running my 5th marathon this year & can say I'm well & truly hooked! You are in amazing hands with @Sunny Dayz , listen to the advice given, support each other & most of all enjoy the process😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic to see this up and running. It's such an incredible resource for novice DCMers and they're in excellent hands.

Best of luck @Sunny Dayz , you'll steer them all so well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to see this thread up and running for 2024. Respect the distance and enjoy the journey. There'll be loads of people out there training with yiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck, @Sunny Dayz, the mentorship is strong with this one. 💪😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck @Sunny Dayz and good luck to all the 2024 novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

Best of luck @Sunny Dayz and all this years novices. I was a member of the 2022 novice group and can attest to how excellent the program, mentors, and wider boards community is.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭rosenallis

Hi there,

Have been keeping an eye on this thread starting up for a while! Thank you for putting it together as could do with all the support.

Never more than 5M. Raced in Raheny 5M in January with 41.40. Recent 5m have been around 43M mark.

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 

Only really starting now, but can run 4-5 miles at just above conversational pace without stopping. Ran a really slow 8M without stopping and plodding along

• How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 

1-2 times per week currently around 5k distances. Ramping this up now and hoping to hit 4-5 times a week. Have in the plan some weights. I can add swimming. Play squash once a week which i may drop out of until i finish

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Completion withouth stopping if possible. Dream under 4, realistic under 4.30 as i've never really ran too far! I'd hate to fade out and walk the last 6-8 miles.

4-5 days, Runna plan.

Just not being motivated to get out the door. Also, niggles in my achilles and calfs have held me back recently when i've tried to run a couple of faster 5K. would have to do damage and pull out of marathon

Because i would like to achieve something of note. I've never ran past 10K and i think it would be a huge achievement for me to finish the race in a resonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to all who sign up here, you're in great hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Looking forward to following along again this year. The help it gave me in 2019 was hugely beneficial. Will probably be following the boards novices plan again this year myself after a few years away from running. The results are proven year on year so can’t go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi all,

Am looking forward to my first ever marathon - did a half marathon two yeas ago but didn't really enjoy it as I did not prepare as well as I could have. Hoping to follow a better overall plan this time in terms of running, resting, nutrition and cross training so will be looking for a lot of advice from this forum. I plan to follow the Beginners training plan from the DCM website which starts next week (20 week program).

https://irishlifedublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Irish-Life-Dublin-Marathon-Training-Plan_compressed.pdf

I have also signed up for the full Marathon Race Series.

Yes have done lots of 5km and 10km. Current time for 5km is 31 mins, most recent 10k was 67 mins (June 2024)

No, can currently run up to 10k without stopping

Currently running 4 times per week, mix of 5km and usually one 10k total since Christmas approx. 24km per week. I also do Pilates once per week, aqua aerobics and walking

Would love to finish in less than 5 hours, hopefully running all the way

Plan to train 5 days per week as per the DCM beginners plan.

My biggest fear is how to handle the longer distances as the training progresses. Also fear any injury that could cause a set back in my training

Like the challenge, with a significant birthday coming up, I feel that if I don't do it this year I may never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi rosenallis! Thanks for posting.

The Raheny 5 mile is a brilliant race, a great one to experience.

How has your running been this week? How often have you got out, what distances and what's the plan for the rest of the week? My slight little concern is the "ramping" up from 1-2 days to 4-5. If you're running 2 days this week, aim for 3 days next week, maybe 4 days a week or two after. Have your started the Runna plan yet and if so, what's on the plan for this week and next? Swimming is a great cross training exercise and the water would be good for the muscles.

Your worry about motivation is why this thread is here! Accountability to post here and motivation of other people posting their progress. That said, nobody is motivated all of the time! You're "why" is great - yes it's a huge achievement to do a marathon.

Welcome CassieManson!

That's great you've signed up for the race series, great motivation, ways of testing how your training is going and to do some race day preparation also. Did you get a Dublin half entry because I hear they are sold out?

You seem to have a nice base to begin with, with 4 days and the long run of 10km. I've looked at the first week or 2 of the DCM beginners plan and it seems like a good start for you. It's great you do pilates - it's something I've tried to get into a few times but didn't stick to it.

Don't worry about the longer distances. Beginner marathon plans are designed to increase the long distances gradually over weeks and months. Take each week as it comes and it's mad when it comes near the end of the plan when you find yourself saying oh I only have 12 miles long run this weekend!

I was like yourself with my "why" - I wanted to get my first marathon done before moving into my next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭rosenallis

Thanks for responding. I've ran 4M at the weekend and 3 mile during the week. Have the Corkagh 5M on Sunday which i plan on running pretty just to get around, not thinking i'll get near Raheny times

Runna week 1 is long run 4M (which i'll sub Corkagh 5M for). Intervals 2.4 on Tuesday, Friday 2.1M tempo, Sat 2.8Mi long run. So 4 runs

There's no cross training in the plan i see.. is that an issue do you think? On the off running days, there are Legs and Core/ Full Body workouts with a kettlebell

(i need to figure out the difference in between intervals, tempo, long runs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I got entries for all of the race series events when registration opened. Looking forward to the 5 Mile this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mossiepark

I'm looking forward to utilising this forum for much needed motivation when required. Thanks for taking the time to mentor us novices.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I've always done a small bit of running, cycling etc but never consistent enough to do a marathon. A few 10ks in the past (pb 49.30mins) and a 10mile at the end of January in 83 minutes. Took alot outta me and I needed a few months off afterwards to recover.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

I find any type of lapse in my training sets me back and i have to walk if i take on too much or dont pace myself right.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4 times a week with the past month. Using the runna app and aiming to do the Clontarf half in July. After that maybe move to a dedicated marathon plan. Recently joined a gym to get some cross training in but haven't started

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time. Or just complete it in no specified time?

The dream is a sub 4hr

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

4 / 5 days a week and using Runna

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury or not being able to complete it

The most important question - Why are you running this marathon?

I've always admired those people who have done marathons, my mother included who did her first at 50. I love the buzz of Dublin on marathon day so always wanted to complete it

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks @Sunny Dayz I've been waiting for this thread.

Have a place in the Dublin Marathon this year, so looking forward to it with some trepidation. I've been running more seriously since the first lock down in 2020 and have probably done around 8 half marathons now, but never gone further than 25 km in one run. I'll also be 54 by the time the marathon comes around.

To answer your questions:

Yes done a good few at this stage. 5k PB 23:33 in Feb 22, 10k pb 50:48 June 21, Half Marathon 1:54:29 May 2022 but ran 1:55:55 at the Dublin half last year.

No, accept have walked a couple of times when struggling in a couple of half marathon races.

I try and run 4 times a week and I'm current doing between 35 and 45 km per week, depending on the week. I don't do any cross training, except walking, but plan to do more and some SC as part of my marathon plan.

Dream finish time would be 4 hrs 15, would be very happy with anything below 4 hrs 30 and just finishing would be great.

I can train 4 to 5 days per week and plan to follow a programme from the Runna app but may switch to the Boards plan depending on how it's going. I've a place in the Dublin Half already booked as well.

Like I said I've done a few halves, and the thoughts of doing double that distance is frightening. I've never finished a half and thought I could do all that again.

I'm part of an informal running group and there's a good few of the group who do Dublin ever year and so I entered the draw not thinking I would be lucky. So seeing as I was lucky, it's a great opportunity. I've 4 or 5 of the group of a similar level to me all doing it, so will have company on the longer runs. They've all done marathons before though.

Thank you so much in advance for mentoring the group and I'm looking forward to getting into it and maybe getting to know some of the others.

Welcome on board @Lockster . Sounds you are at the right stage to try your hand at a marathon! You seem to be running consistently and sounds like you've decent base built up to start into marathon training.

I hear you with the comment - double the distance - it's so hard to imagine! I did a half marathon myself this weekend and I said to a friend after how on earth am I going to do a marathon?!

The local training group will be good for you - I had that myself when training last year and it was great to have company on long runs, takes a lot of the (over)thinking and planning out of long runs. And the fact that they have all done marathons before will be invaluable to you - you'll learn a lot from them out on the roads.

So we are T minus 2 weeks to the start of the training plans if are following them here.

Take the time to have a bit of a reflection on your past week and post on the thread - how many runs did you do, what distances, how did they feel?

Then have a look at the first week of the training plan you've chosen and see how it lines up with your past week. We don't want you to "ramp" things up before the start of the training plan but to see if there are ways you can bridge the gap a bit - can you add in an extra run this week, an extra mile/km to your long run at the weekend? Take the time to look at your life schedule, when are you going to fit in the runs, bearing in mind changes to your schedule over the summer with kids off school, activities on a break for example. Now is the time to sit down and start planning out how you are going to fit the marathon training into your life, it's a scary thing to commit to and starting to feel a bit real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Great to see this thread up and running for this year! The help and support I received in 2022 from Boards novice group was amazing and it helped get me to the finish line!

Best of luck to everyone this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like I'm going to give this a go also. First marathon attempt and I don't have a ticket entry currently so will be hoping to pick one up later as a transfer.

Just started doing some running in the last few years, would have started doing a few parkruns before signing up for a 10K in summer 2022. 2023 I did a 10 mile run in March and was 7 weeks into a training plan for the half marathon before getting a nasty calf muscle injury.

Started back training in January this year and got through the training plan to run my first half marathon in April. I don't regard myself as a runner so if I'm not training for some event then i'm not running. Therefore said I better earmark something to get me back out again as I've done nothing since the half in April.

• As above i've raced a bit but not much just one 10K, one 10 mile and one half marathon - 10k was around 55 minutes, 10 mile I injured myself and limped over the line in 1hr 37 and the half was 1hr 56 mins.
    • No, but I do tend to run very slowly and nearly always within myself
    • No running for two months now but do plan to get back on the horse this week. Been playing Padel twice a week.
    • Gold for me would be to finish it inside 4.30 silver would be 5.00 and bronze would be to just cross that finish line.
    • This will be tough for me with big demands in work and home life but hope to train 4 days a week and think i'll go with a Runna plan which looks decent.
    • Injury, always have been injury prone with 2 bad knees but turning 40 next year and I fear the body is slowing down.
    • Also getting the time to train is going to be a struggle, the half marathon training was a balancing act so I can only imagine it's going to be worse, I'll be doing all the training on my own so motivation will be needed.
    • Probably a once off for me but would love to experience it, complete it and know how hard it is and possibly inspire a few smallies in later life.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

@rosenallis - how did you get on in Corkagh 5 mile at the weekend?

Welcome! Hopefully you do pick up a ticket when the transfer window opens. The transfer window opens between Weds 24th July to Mon 24th Aug. I'd say when the time comes there will be plenty floating about, but no harm putting feelers out now - I'd be wary of scammers, I see plenty trying it on social media.

Back to yourself - how has your running been since you started back this year? How did your training go for the half in April, ie did you do all the runs on the plan you followed, any niggles etc.

When does your Runna plan start? What is your plan of action for this week? Marathon training can be tough to manage around family and work - there's no denying that. The best way to manage is to plan. There will be sacrifices and adaptations to our lives while we undertake this challenge - that's when you remind yourself of your "why". The smallies are a great inspiration, great to want to set an example.

Do you do any strength and conditioning (S&C), especially in relation to the knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mossiepark

Guys, any thoughts on this. I plan on doing the Clontarf Half on July 6th. I've been following the Runna half marathon plan and I'm finding it good, although I might say different after my scheduled 13k run tomorrow!!

Anyway, my question is....is this crazy? I mean should I be starting a 20 week marathon plan now and forget about other, potentially disruptive runs? @Sunny Dayz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I did my first half on the 13th of July last year, which would have been the end of week 2 for most of the marathon plans.

I took week 3 as a recovery week (went for a few easy 5ks and maybe 10k at the weekend), did basically all of week 4 other than 1 run and then joined into a marathon plan from week 5 onwards.

Training went great for me after that. The actual day didn't go so well, but I think it was more to do with lack of adequate fuelling than my training plan!

@witnessmenow answered it perfectly. Stay on the plan you are on now. Give a good honest effort for the Clontarf half. It'll give you a good idea where you are with paces and current level of fitness then going into your marathon training. Take a week recovery after - shorter easy recovery runs. The following week - which would be week 4 on the Boards/HH plans you should be in a position to ease into a plan.

Hope the scheduled 13km goes well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thanks, fingers crossed I get a transfer or I'll have to look to alternatives.

Training for the half went well, I missed roughly 5 sessions over the course of the training due to little niggles or not being able to make the run but the last 6 weeks of it I would have made every run.

Runna plan starts 8th of July so that gives me 4 weeks to slowly ramp up. Plan for this week would be 2 5K slow runs also with 3 Padels games. Next week I'm thinking a 5 K and 10K run followed by 3 7K runs in week 3 and 3 8K runs in week before the marathon training starts - do you think that would be enough? I know I'm late to the party but I want to avoid burnout also.

Strength and conditioning generally an afterthought for me and I don't do it anywhere near enough. I do plan to do at least 2 Pilates sessions a week also which I found really helped me when training for the half.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is also the refunded tickets option

The refunded tickets are where a participant returns the ticket to DCM and DCM list directly on their website. Last year was the first year of it and the the tickets were there for a few days, but It could be in more demand this year as people know more about it.

The refund window is open 3rd to 16th of July, you'd imagine the tickets would be released after that, but I'd be keeping an eye on their social media (or probably here) around that time.

• Advertisement

Pilates is brilliant to get into, and something I know I should be doing myself.

In terms of runs for the next few weeks, your proposed week 1 and 2 sound fine, but weeks 3 and 4 before the plan I'd keep the weekday runs around 5km and put the extra couple of kms towards the longer run at the weekend.

Advertisement