Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Theyve always used cups in the race series. They might have a station or two with bottles in half but wouldn’t bank on it. If going to carry your own bottles on the marathon great chance to test it out while racing.

The full has always had bottles bar maybe a couple of stops.

There’ll be people collecting bottles by the dozen on the full I say to make a nice little earner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just run Friday as plan and see how you feel. You could shift Saturday to Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unfortunately my IT band pain kicked up in the last couple of weeks so have been running a reduced mileage. Pain had gotten pretty bad. Have been back in the physio and he's confident he'll get me to the start line so that's encouraging.

Short run tonight and it's the least pain I've felt so happy enough with that as I've a proper long run on Sunday.

Serious heat out there tonight!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ettravel

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)  I've jogged on and off for about 10 years. I'm 49 and use to play alot of sport, I haven't done any races recently
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training. No.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 

Run 2 x short and 1 long run the weekend. Sometime speed session. Long run upto 28k to date, v slow

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?  Just finish and have a great day

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow. About 4 days and 15 week Internet plan

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt. Quitting before race, my diet is shite and still have stomach issues with long runs

The most important question - Why are you running this marathon? . I've always admired marathon runners and going to watch a friend last year in dublin marathon inspired me to finally try stick at Something long term and don't quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

hard week last week found the legs very tired .

managed the long run better than I ever have. Think I fueled better beforehand and during and took on enough water too.

i have my 1/2 this weekend in Kilkenny rather than the race series the week after. Do I sub in that weeks running to this one and vice versa?

also, should I try and race the 1/2? My long runs have been walking inclines to get the distance in but I wouldn’t mind seeing if I can run/race a 1/2 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Not great last week - I only did the 8 on Wednesday and then 4 on Sunday evening. Fairly busy with life and given how tired I was on Sunday evening it tells me there wasn’t much to be gained in getting the big miles in.

It’s a new week today so I am planning to get back on track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭TheRef

You're folllwing HH Novice 1 if I'm not mistaken?

This week (12) is a bit of a step back for you so it kind of fits in with a HM, depending on how you decide to run it.

You have choices, and it really is your decision how you want to play it. In the Boards plans, the Race Series are marked out as races where folks will give it pretty much all. If you want to follow that race-approach this week, you need to be aware that it requires adjustments to both this week and next week to allow more recovery. The alternative is to incorporate Kilkenny into your normal training long run this weekend, maybe giving it a little extra in the second half if you feel like you're up for it, but still get the experience of prep for the big day as well as running with people and everything else a race entails.

I think if I was in your position, I would try to run it all (or as much as I can) at a comfortable pace. It seems a pretty flat course except for a bit of an incline about 6k in which you could choose to walk. That way you will get a really good idea of where you are on an overall flatter course. It also means you won't really need to disrupt your plans as it just means tagging an additional 2k on this weeks long run, which will still be 5-6k less than you ran Saturday.

If do you do want to race it, well, you would likely have to cut back your distance on Wed & Thurs and same next Tue & Wed.

Life happens, but you've the right attitude - this is a new week and do try to get back on track. I know you are feeling tired, but running on tired legs is part of the process. It will really help you in the latter stages. Just remember - one week at a time.

(oh, and interesting that you are using old money - miles instead of kms :-))

Just a bit of a personal anecdote for this month. I always find September the most difficult month of the entire training block. We are still far enough away from the big day but we are up into the big mileage weeks. At this stage you have likely run the same routes a dozen times and it may at times get a little boring. If you are finding the long runs difficult (don't we all?) consider driving somewhere competely new for your long run. It can freshen things up a lot. In just a few short weeks we will be starting the taper, so try stick with your plan as much as you

For those lucky enough to live close enough to Dublin, plan this month if you can to run part of the course. Not only will it give you a good idea of the route, but you can imagine what it will be like on the day with the hordes of cheering people and the excitement of it all. Another suggestion is something I managed to do last year - my other half was heading out so I got her to drop me off on the way so my long run was just a run home - no out and back.

Something else I recommend is to priortise sleep as much as you can for the next few weeks. You just can't get enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I found these useful for the route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReycTnFQ4pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JAXlFnbWU

can look out for landmarks for when running it in person
    (I'm terrible with directions at the best of times!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭comanche_cor

Last week 50k

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thur|Fri||Sat|Sun

10k w intervals|rest|rest|9k tempo|9k easy|s&c|22k w  11k @ MP

So week one of holidays. Positives I managed to get all my runs and and get back to s&c after almost 2 weeks off.

However, there's always a but! I blew up badly on my long run. Now there's many reasons for this, not sure there is any one reason but this is my thinking on it. Hopefully I can learn some lessons from it:

- I did not take 22k seriously, was thinking at this stage it's not a big distance it's only 2hrs at an easy pace

- I had an awful night's sleep the night before, prob 3 - 4 hours

- had GI issues during the night nothing serious but enough

- because of GI issues I decided not to take any gels 

- I did not bring any water and did not plan any water stops (there were no shops on route apart from start and end) - not taking 22k seriously

- I was comfortable with morning temps on holidays raising my HR by a few beats but did not account for humidity after rain. This ended up being a tempo run (zone 3) rather than (zone 2)

So I think this combined with tired legs (longest week yet), sore muscles back to s&c lead to a blow up. 

I know that I should have finished this run feeling fresh and it was the complete opposite. I possibly could have gotten away with it had I fueled and hydrated correctly. However, I think the nub of this is that I should have dialled back the paces. I both felt it and had the data on my watch but was too concerned with sticking to the plan. 

It has of course got me questioning where I am at and if I am capable of the paces and distances. I am beginning to doubt my self a little - but I think it was just a bad day and FD 10m was a positive benchmark. However, there is still some doubt there

Next week:

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thur|Fri||Sat|Sun

S&c|6k tempo|s&c|8k (mile repeats)|rest|7.5k easy|31k (1k @ 4:55)

Will still be on holiday so need to slot this in with moving around and flights. Glad to say that my long run will be back in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

Found the last week pretty hard and the legs very tired.

The long run went well though, the last 5km wasnt good but i was happy with my time and if I really had to I could have made the full marathon distance so that was comforting.

I ran a little later in the morning than usual but it gave me time to fuel and hydrate well before so I'll try keep that routine now.

As a matter of interest, what was your long run distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rosenallis

Had an ok week. Made the runs, but not the S&C

Longest run yet was 16 miles. (Found the last 2-3 miles i was excited about traffic lights and the opportunity they gave me for a brief rest! I'll admit i could have made a couple of green men crossing, but slowed down to get the red light). A bit similar to Commanche_cor above, i'm a bit dubious about to the full marathon distance. Every long run i'm really limping over the last couple of miles - so if i get to 20M with my longest run and the last couple of miles are a struggle, similar to my current experience, i'm not sure how i'll stretch the other 6 miles on top!?

Trying to work on my nutrition. Saturday ate loads, and carbs, sunday morning big bowl of porridge. Not sure if it helped or not. Felt very full at start, and not hungry so i think that's ok? Found i needed to go use pee quite a lot on the run around, i assume this is normal in marathon?

I was so conscious of water/ gels i spent most of the way around flaffing with belt and bottles and gels and clothes, but think i've a good handle of them now. Tried a different gel this week and i just felt quite ill after the run. Doubt i could have taken any more withouth vomitting to be honest, so will have to try another type. Had Cliff blox and they seemed ok as i've a sweeth-tooth. This week:

Tuesday 5M - longer hill repeats, i'll probably just switch this for a 5M run

Thursday 5M intervals

Friday 6.2M Easy

Sunday half marathon

2 x S&C and 1 X yoga.

Excellent. Well done. The reason I asked is because you suggested you could have made the full marathon distance. I don't doubt you at all, but just a word of caution: that's the distance where it actually begins to get proper hard, and you'll hear over and over again - the marathon is a run of 2 halfs - the first 20 miles and the second 10k. If you can get to 20 miles in training with the cumulative fatigue and reckoning that you would have managed another 10k, that's a wonderful place to be.

It might be worth thinking about that run while it is still fresh in your head - how did you feel at the various stages before it got hard in the final 5k. That might help you in the race itself - remembering how you felt and helping you keep in check so you don't get caught up in the buzz of the crowds and adrenaline.

Congrats on such an excellent achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Been following this since the start and I would like to start contributing.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Yes. I plod around so nothing spectacular
    5k - 24.26
    10k - 52.16
    10m - 1.27
    Half - 1.56

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

I attempted the Rotterdam marathon last April, got to February and had huge knee issues. After an MRI and a trip to a surgeon it seems I have arthritis and some overload phenomenon in my right knee. Advised to stop running but at least cut down. So I've been doing a lot of base training on the bike. Currently run training 3 days a week - intervals, easy and long run.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Under 4.15 would make me a happy man

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    3 run days as I said. 2 days on a bike. A cross training session - either elliptical, strength and conditioning or ski, a swim session.
    Following a 20 week 3 run plan from Runna - distances only, not the sub-details like 2k warm up, 3k @ 5.10
    I did 30k yesterday (longest ever), legs feel ok today, looking good!

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    To be injured again, it's heart-breaking

The most important question - Why are you running this marathon?
    It's totally against what I told myself much of my adult life. Never thought I'd be able but joined local run club last year and it's been up and up, a great decision. Also I really enjoy the process. Having a plan makes me do things.
    I also really really want the Dublin Marathon woolly hat and to wear it smugly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Training was going really well up until a few weeks ago. I felt pretty good even during the harder and longer runs. Then got sick a few weeks ago and took a few days off. I was feeling better the day of the warriors run in Sligo (August 24th) so did that. Ended up getting sick again a few days later. I must not have been fully over what I had. Symptoms wise I have felt fine the past few days. I tried a very easy paced 5k and 8k over the past few days and they didn't feel great so body is still recovering. Gonna keep taking it easy and getting plenty of rest. I'll try the odd easy paced run just to see how it feels. Hopefully it won't be too long until I am back to being able to train properly.

It's just frustrating as fúck because training was going so well and I felt great doing it.

Blowing up in training is a great way to learn a lot, so take it as a positive.

- I did not take 22k seriously, was thinking at this stage it's not a big distance it's only 2hrs at an easy pace

Hah. "only 2hrs".

- I had an awful night's sleep the night before, prob 3 - 4 hours

Yep, that is never a good thing.

- had GI issues during the night nothing serious but enough

Okay, but lack of sleep as well and going for a 2 hour run when you wake up…

- because of GI issues I decided not to take any gels 

Oh! So, GI issues, nothing mentioned about breakfast, and no gels while going for a 2 hour run - yeah, that's always going to be hard. You could have done with some electrolytes/salt tabs to try and recover a bit first, but I'd focus on the positives here - you bonked and kept on going. You know what it feels like and what will happen if you don't get your nutrition right. Also worth just calling out that if you could run 2 hours normally without gels or water, don't try that in the marathon. Also, taking gels and water on the long runs is not just about keeping your energy levels up - its just as much about training your body to digest when your under a lot of physical stress.

- I did not bring any water and did not plan any water stops (there were no shops on route apart from start and end) - not taking 22k seriously

No water after GI issues. You know yourself - you need to be very careful about being sufficiently hydrated. Not only does it impact your run and risk injury, but it will also hamper your recovery so make sure you take it particularly easy in the next couple of days.

Overall though, you had one bad run but still done the distance. I wouldn't be doubting myself on just that. You're flying and well on course to have a smashing run, so just keep it going.

Advertisement