Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mossiepark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭TheRef

Don't worry at all about the holiday runs. Everything we do while away and particularly in heat should be considered a bonus and trying not to regress.

Can you expand on the struggles with the uptick in mileage? Is the issue the physical? Phsycological? Struggling with time? Mix of everything?

If you are struggling with motivation, what I always recommend is to get into a routine. Personally, I almost always do shorter weekday runs at lunch, longer midweek after work and weekend runs early mornings. Its what works for me. Also, no matter what, always get changed into your running gear when you are scheduled to do a run. Get completly kitted out and get to the front door and then make a decision about whether you go or not. That will help decide where your head is at. If your goal is just to finish, then you have plenty of time to get back on course and get that medal in October.

I think that if you do want to transfer, you need to do it before Monday (EDIT: this should say Monday 26-Aug). After that, your name is locked in and if you decide later you can't do it, either you lose the money, or you need to get to the RDS to collect your bib on the Friday or Saturday and give it to someone, but they will be running under your name. You can get someone to collect it for you if you can't make it to Dublin but they will need a copy of your id.

Post edited by TheRef on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thanks Ref, is there any deferral option that you know of?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You have until the 3rd week in August to make a decision. So plenty of time to see how your training goes and not to panic about it.

Transfer

The transfer window for the Irish Life Dublin Marathon and Half Marathon will open from Wednesday July 24th at 9:00 to Saturday August 24th at 23.59. We cannot move the date later than this as it would impact the appropriate event management needed to organise events of this scale.

The Transfer process will be managed via Eventmaster with a €20 fee charged to the person receiving the entry for the Irish Life Dublin Marathon and a €5 fee charged to the person receiving the entry for the Irish Life Dublin Half Marathon.

Please note selling or attempting to swap race numbers outside of the transfer window will result in the number being cancelled.

https://irishlifedublinmarathon.ie/transfer-and-refund/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not a novice or a mentor but this is a great post.

Holiday running = anything is a bonus, keeping to a plan is impossible/not worth the mental fatigue it causes.

and routine is a great shout, similarly I do all my midweek runs at lunch, I actually just have a recurring invite in my calendar for it. The fact its in my calendar a) stops people putting meetings in (generally) and b) keeps me honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'm the same regarding having the routine, I bring the kids to GAA/Activities and run while they are there, that way I am using the hour or so, even though at this stage they can go on their own to most of them I still bring them so I get my run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

Funny the tricks we all use for motivation, for me there's two.

If I know I am going to have a busy day or risk being tired later, I will go for a run in the morning. To make sure that I do this, I lay out my running gear the night before so that I am already committed to the run.

If I don't feel like a run, I will go out anyways with the proviso that if I still feel like crap after the first km or two that is okay to quit. If often works out that once the door and running your mood shifts and you will enjoy the run.

I agree with routine, knowing that I have the runs planned into my week works for me (most the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think it’s more psychological than physical although after todays 5 mile it’s fairly physical too!

I think it’s the knowing I’ve got to go and follow this plan. Like I’ve 10 miles on Saturday and knowing it’s double what today was i suppose I am kinda defeatist that I won’t be able to do it. I generally try to go early in the day, being off for the summer is a bonus in that regards. If I put it off to evening there’s a greater chance that life will get in the way or that I will allow it to.

as regards the long run at the weekend, what do people do as regards eating before it. I don’t want something swishing around for 2 hours and I won’t last without eating either

Knowing its mostly in the head is good as you can just try work on that - ignore what you mind is telling you and get out the door, try find an interesting route (I know you're rural, so maybe a short drive to a new route), find a podcast that will take your mind off the run.

If you are not confident in getting through a long run without stopping, do it in chunks - every 4k (for example) walk for 60 second. That will give you mini goals to aim for. During the walking break, have a treat - square of chocolate, couple of jellies, etc. That will give you something to look forward to.

Hal Higdon states the following in the Novice 1 plan:

"Walking: Don’t be embarrassed to take walking breaks. Walking is a perfectly acceptable strategy in trying to finish a marathon. It works during training runs too. While some coaches recommend walking 1 minute out of every 10, or walking 30 seconds then running 30 seconds before walking again, I suggest that marathon runners walk when they come to an aid station. Here’s why: you can drink more easily while walking as opposed to running, It’s a good idea to follow this strategy in training as well. Walking gives your body a chance to rest, and you’ll be able to continue running more comfortably. It’s best to walk when you want to, not when your (fatigued) body forces you too."

They also state "As far as I’m concerned, there is no such thing as “too slow.”  The important point is that you cover the prescribed distance; how fast you cover it doesn’t matter."

So, I wouldn't worry about the physical aspect - that will come.

For now, I would concentrate on doing the distances in your plan, and after every one be incredibly proud of yourself. Remember that you've already done the hard part - signing up and getting your runners on.

Looking at your run today, your first km was the quickest. Try make the first one the slowest and ease your way into it, letting your body adjust. Also, it looks like you had a decent incline on the second km, so you had a hard start. The main thing is you got it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭CWF

I usually have a bowl of porridge with honey and berries or a tin of low fat ambrosia cream rice with some jam and a glass of water with an electrolyte tablet at least 2 hours before my long run on Sunday am, has been working well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just hung up a wash and it was practically all running clothes and pyjamas 😄!

Lots of great comments here this week - I'll try and address what I can remember.

Running on holidays - as someone else said - this is a bonus. That's why we suggest planning ahead with your training plan. If you are going to be away for a week eg Sat-Sat - try and do your long run Fri eve and then Sun of the following week. Perhaps if you have a deload or step back week either side of your holiday to swap them around. Perhaps give that weekend's long run a miss and add an extra mile or two to the long run the week before or after the holiday, provided it's not too much of a jump in distance. Or just take the break, enjoy your holiday and come back all refreshed and ready to get back into it. I think the longest run I ever did on holiday was 10km and that was a month before a half marathon race. Mostly it's 2 or 3 miles, depending on the heat and how much I drank the night before. I love the feeling of running along the prom before the resort gets busy, it's so calm and then back to the room for a shower and down for the breakfast buffet! If you're away in Ireland, it's great to take in the new scenery.

I don't think anyone 100% sticks to a training plan. There's always going to be something - that's life! Whether it's one of the kids sick, an injury, a celebration, working late, can't be ar$ed etc - most people will miss a run for one reason or another. And that's ok, it's not the end of the world. The important thing is not to throw the baby out with the bathwater (such an old saying!) - just draw a line under it, move on and get back on track for your next run. Don't try to chase lost miles. Don't beat yourself up over it, it is what it is, accept it and in the case of injury or lack of motivation - see can you learn something from it.

I'm not sure how to link specific posts but #183 and #191 by TheRef are well worth going back and having a read.

Motivation - well done to slingerz for vocalising about lack in motivation - this is so common and I think many others will benefit from you bringing this up and it's great to get a bit of dialogue going about it. It's one of the harder parts in marathon (or any distance) training. After a few weeks into the training plan the novelty has worn off and it can get tough. That's why in my opening post here my last question to all the novices was WHY? Why are you doing the marathon? You will ask yourself this question so much during your training and not always in a positive way! I agree with those who have said about making the training part of your routine. If you haven't already, print off your training plan. Don't panic about the distances, just look at it and schedule the runs into your life, by putting pen to paper you are putting them into your routine and also takes a bit of the thinking out of them. Nobody is motivated all the time, a lot of runs are done because you have them scheduled.

I seen this quote during the week "We don't have to run, we get to run"

Breakfast - I usually have 2 weetabix in milk before my long run, I sometimes go back for another one. I have a cup of tea with it. I have that about an hour before my long run. But I'm a little and often type of eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Thanks just added weetabix to my shopping list - forgot I used to love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bagels are great also as you can bring them anywhere. Last year I brought them to a marathon in Europe and got the hotel to toast them on the morning. Even had my own peanut butter. Breakfast is whatever works for you but keep doing it.

Time before a long run depends but I won’t head out until I’ve had that sit down time. If not saves jumping that fence into a field

OMG How are we already starting week 6 of DCM training?! The past week of training has gone pretty well, some lovely runs recorded, good distances and nice easy pacing for the long runs. By now you should (hopefully) be in a good routine and habit with your running.

As usual – please post below your wee recap of week 5 – how did you find it, did you get all your planned runs done and what was your favourite run of the week?

So looking now to week 6: 

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday 

HHN1|rest|3m easy|5m easy|3m easy|rest|7m lsr|cross 

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|5m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|16m lsr|rest,cross or 3m rec 

7M = 11.5km, 16M = 25.75km

This week is a step-back or deload week for the HH plan followers, with the LSR “only” 7 miles! 

Weeks like this are dotted throughout the plans, usually every third week. The Boards/HH/Runna rest weeks may not always fall on the same weeks so don’t panic if others are on a rest week and you aren’t. These weeks are an important part of a training block, as they allow the legs to refresh and recuperate before the next increase in mileage. They will come to feel like a welcome respite.  

For the Boards plan there is a slight increase in mileage this week, with the LSR up an extra mile to 16 miles. Note that the midweek run is 5 miles at PMP (planned marathon pace) (, plus a mile each of warm-up and cooldown. Please keep PMP (and all training paces) realistic and in line with current fitness but please don’t stress to much if you haven’t figured out your marathon pace yet , however after doing a few long runs now at this stage you should find that it should be a touch quicker than your long run pace.  

Weather wise a warm week ahead so make sure to hydrate well with water throughout the day and pop an electrolyte in your water bottle a couple of times during the week. 

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mossiepark

Runna | 10km Easy Run + Mobility Session | Rest | 8km Progressive Run | 5km Easy | 7km Interval | Rest | 15km Run

My week started well and I even got myself an entry on Monday in the resale. No difficulties with paces etc this week and I was going well until today when I had to skip my planned long run as i was feeling unwell. I'm disappointed but I guess these things will happen. Looking forward to hopefully feeling better tomorrow and getting back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

got through the mileage on my plan, actually went over and above by 1/2 on my long run due to miscalculation of how far from home I was.

Can we talk about chafing? Any suggestions for inner thighs? I assume using the tight compression shorts would solve it?

next issue then is nipples!!?! How the dandy do you mind them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

Past Week: 40k (36 planned Runna)

Got through everything as planned. However, had to move around some things to go biking on Sunday.

Monday: S&S

Tues: Cycle commute 26k + Tempo

Wed: S&C morning, Yoga evening

Thurs: 6.5 Intervals, really enjoyed this one. Type 2 fun perhaps! :)

Fri: 7k easy

Sat: LR, managed to time this pretty much perfectly to make it to the start of Parkrun as part of my run, only had to wait about 1 minute before the start. Added on 1k at the end while and felt this. Was a little worried about hitting the MP during this run, but was fine and actually was a small bit faster 5:20 rather than 5:25. I was however questioning if I could keep the pace up for a marathon, but I just need to trust in the plan and see where I am in another 12 weeks.

Sun: 3hrs mountain biking, great fun really enjoyed it but was shattered after. Slept like a dead man after!! :). Decided to take Monday as a full rest day and move next weeks S&C around a little in order to recover a bit.

This week:

Plan | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday 
    Runna | Rest | Intervals 6.5k | S&C | Tempo 7k | S&C + Mobility | 6K Easy | LR 20k (6.5K Easy, 4.5k @ 5:40, 4.5k @ 5:25, 4.5k @ 5.15)

Long Run looks a bit daunting (from a pace POV), but gonna trust in the plan and just go with it!

Post edited by comanche_cor on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would recommend this. I found parkrun to be a great way to break up my long runs into psychologically manageable chunks. Every long run I did I incorporated the parkrun. Sometimes I would be a few minutes early and just run up and down near the start line, other times I would be a few mins late and I would just join in at the back. Passing all the slower walkers/runners was a good distraction as was chatting to people I knew that tend towards the back of the course. I actually much preferred being a bit late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haha. Yeah, hurts like hell….

As @The Black Oil said, Vaseline and BodyGlide.

Vaseline can leave greasy marks on clothes, so just be concious how you use it.

BodyGlide is pretty much the main brand anti-chaffing - you can get it in RunHub or online (IIRC, it's €18 for a stick which should do you through the marathon. I mostly use this for inner thighs or under arms.

Also, KT Tape- get it cheap off Amazon - I also use this sometimes for lower back and under arms when using vest.

Nipples - some folks use the KT tape or plasters or nipguards. I got some nipple disposable stick on tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Good week, I missed a 3 miler on Tuesday due to life getting in the way, but hit the rest of them.
    I treated myself to a sports massage on Friday, and so was skeptical about how I’d fare on Saturday, but all went well. Nice to get the little bumps and knots ironed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Compression shorts are short of a non negotiable for me, still find I need a bit of Vaseline on longer runs for higher up.

My current favourite pair of shorts is a pair from decathlon that are kind of like compression shorts but are actually just shorts. They are only €11 too so they are good value

https://www.decathlon.ie/p/346921-272906-men-s-running-tight-shorts-kiprun-run-100-black.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-5y1BhC-ARIsAAM_oKnRjV_8sqMkAcuXUFF6QvpJuww2iMXeH87MLpWU8p9oA1zN1xQtQ9IaAih_EALw_wcB&utm_campaign=ie_t-perf_ct-pmax_n-pmax-noexp_ts-gen_f-cv_o-conv_&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Vaseline works for nipples for me up to about half marathon distances, any more than that I find it wears off. It also stains your tops

I tried run glide and I didn't find it worked for me at all. I felt like it was too hard (opposite of soft, rather than being difficult) it was like a bar of soap. I currently don't use this at all.

Someone on last year's thread put me on to nipple guards from Amazon and they completely solved the issue for me.

https://amzn.eu/d/0dHoDV9Y

I recently bought similar ones of AliExpress just to try out and they seem fine too. I basically use them for all my runs at the moment as they are much cheaper, but will probably use the Amazon ones for longer runs

Well done, great consistency.

I think you've gotten some good replies to your questions from those who have far more experience in those inflictions!

Himself at home just uses plasters for his nipples.

In terms of shorts - would 2-in-1 shorts suit? Where they have a normal short and then a bicycle or compression short attached underneath.

I have to give another +1 to Body Glide. It's about €18 and lasts ages. I use it for my inner thighs and inner arms.

Well done you had a good week. Incorporating a parkrun into a long run, while can be tough logistically, when it works out is great - you get the bit more company, you find you can pick up the pace on tired legs and if you finish your long run with the parkrun you get to enjoy a coffee and cake after.

well done and you took it nice and easy on the long run. A timely reminder about sports massages - must book in for a rub out myself. Do try and leave it 12-24 hours between a massage and run session (a recovery or short easy run should be ok)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Re chafing, I only wear Runderwear long boxer shorts for long runs and races. They are a bit pricey, but have never had a problem with them.

Advertisement