Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor for house purchase in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 04-06-2024 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We are selling our house in Dublin and purchasing a house in Belfast. Is it possible to use the same solicitor for both transactions or do we need a separate solicitor in each jurisdiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You would need a dual-registered solicitor. The Law Society does have lots of members in Northern Ireland https://www.lawsociety.ie/find-a-solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search but only a proportion will be interested in (a) conveyancing (b) conveyancing in Belfast (c) conveyancing in Dublin. Talking directly to the Law Society might be easier than asking every solicitor.

I'm not sure if there would be a huge advantage in having the one solicitor. Much of the work in conveyancing is dependent on the individual property, not the clients. The one thing you would need to keep clear is what you tell each solicitor, e.g. if you are in a chain-type transaction, both need to know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colinmis

Thanks, that's very helpful. I guess my thinking for having just one solicitor is that it would be easier and cheaper but by the sounds of it, it might not be either. I'll speak to the Law Society and see what they think….

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭frank730

It won't be cheaper for sure, I used the same solicitor for buying and selling and he charged us for 2 transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Because there were two transactions. No material efficiency results from doing two transactions simultaneously for the same client. The client doesn't get a reduction for this any more than the customer gets a discount from the butcher for buying two joints of meat at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If he had messed up the two of them would you sue him for messing up 1 or 2 transactions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement