Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax oblgation on gifting a property to son. (property is a business asset, not privately owned)

Options
  • 04-06-2024 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi There

This question relates to the transfer of a residential property to my son., however the property is owned by my business so not in my own private ownership.

I understand that if this were a privately owned dwelling there is CAT at 33% on anything above the 360k inheritance threshold but as this property is owned by my company i don't know if the normal CAT / inheritance CGT limits apply

Advice here would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A company is an entire separate entity to you....so a gift from the company to your son would fall into Group C category....significant CAT exposure for your son....CGT for company...

Talk to a professional about better ways to do this....look at gifting shares of the company...get business relief for son etc....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If the son is an employee of the business, this may be seen as "income" too, so talk to a professional.

Advertisement