Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing from external oil boiler into house

Options
  • 04-06-2024 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I want to start digging up the garden to lay down some patio, and I'm wondering what depth the plumbing from the oil boiler should be, and if I need to worry about hitting anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not sure on a specific depth, but I'd suggest that you could use it as an opportunity to replace the pipe with pre-insulated piping, if not already done or if the existing insulation is damp or saturated. Examples:

https://www.polytherm.ie/c/pre-insulated-pipe/24

https://www.pipelife.ie/plumbing-systems/plumbing-heating-pipes/district-heating-pipe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

pre insulated pipe is an absolute pig to work with and will break your heart trying to retrofit it. Also costs a fortune and you’ll never see the payback. Depth of pipes will depend on the plumber or whoever installed them so be careful as they’re probably an oil line and electrical cable with the heating pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fair points. What would be fitted underground in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Insulated Multilayer is common, installed in a 4” pipe. Some will drill a few holes in an after and squirt in expanding foam, which no doubt helps.

The preinsulated pipe linked above is a better job though, if you can get bit enough trench in place to work with.

yes 4” and expanded foam is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Well I got my answer. Went out to check the depth of the concrete pad, and as it happens the very spot I chose to dig had a pipe underneath. It doesn't even go under the concrete, it instead goes through it.

I don't really want to dick around with pipes so I guess the concrete's staying.

that looks like either a waste pipe or Gunbarrell. If gunbarrell, it’s time to change

Had not heard of gunbarrel before. The house was built in '87, and internal pipes (that I've seen) are copper. Still could be gunbarrel?

is there insulation on the pipe in the picture? If so peel some back and show

There's no insulation on the pipe that's visible in the picture. You can see the insulation bottom left of centre, not sure if I ripped that off while digging or not

• Advertisement

is the pipe steel or plastic?

It is steel.

gunbarrell so. I’d change it if I were you. Move the boiler closer to the house too if you can

Advertisement