Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bam

Options
  • 04-06-2024 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Strange we hear the taoiseach awarding Bam the contract for a new bridge in Louth while at the same time the tainiste saying that Bam are screwing the nation: re :Availing of Dáil privilege, Mr Martin said the various deadlines set by BAM were "likely to be part of a commercial strategy by BAM to try and extract more money and more funding from the Irish people." Bam have been working on a flyover bridge in blanchardstown for well over it's completion date .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

BAM is a business. It exists to make a profit. Not to make people feel good about a new hospital or a bridge.

BAM will deliver the hospital. Late, and total cost >€2,5b. It seems to me that their legal department is bigger than their projects department, and they'll get their money. i.e. taxpayers money that's there to be thrown to the wind by our government 😠.

Govt is outgunned by BAM on the negotiation front.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Really pulled it together after Jackass. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

You people are complete idiots. BAM will do exactly what they are contracted to do.

The project spec for the hospital kept changing, thats on the public sector and the various vested interests that keep doing that such as the Consulants, who I might add have so much power that they are the reason the damn thing wasnt built on an M50 adjacent greenfield site.

But again I musts reiterate that you lot are complete idiots. Yours Sincerely, a man who has worked for BAM and several other construction companies (as IT) and still talks to a load of engineers.

It never fails to amaze me that you all always blame the workers in the private sector for the unaccountable, unfireable, pigs in the trough, stealing a living off my taxes, managerial class public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭con747

A thread with 2 replies before your's is full of idiots. 😂

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭steinbock123

purofol is right. BAM only fulfilled what they were asked to do. It’s the client who kept making changes and amendments, and these all have to be paid for. Instead of giving out about BAM, it would be better to focus on the fact that the hospital has been built in the completely wrong site, it’s far too fancy and a complicated design - the sick children who will hopefully be treated there (eventually) won’t be looking out from their sickbeds and saying “oh what a wonderful architectural statement “ - it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference if the building was a big square box. And is my memory ropey, or did some developer offer to build it for free out at Newlands Cross and build a spur from the Luas to it? Or did I imagine that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I work in the sector, but not with BAM or the Project in question as a Contracts Manager.

The Government is playing a blinder here in deflection. It is impossible under the GCCC form of Major Contract just to add time and money unless there are changes that are not in the original design. They are fixed price contracts with all the risk on the contractor.

What happened was: the government tendered the job with only a partial design. They then thought they could use the BoQ to price the rest of the project when the design was complete.

This didn't work because they added so much additional scope to the project with new design parts that didn't have BoQ rates firstly. Then when you add scope, you also get an extension of time to do this additional scope (it's new additional work afterall)

Then the 30 month fixed price clause expired bang smack in a period of Hyper inflation in Construction costs. Like seriously the worst inflation of costs that I know of.

Design team keep adding scope, contractor gets more time and money to complete said scope and this is why we are where we are.

It should never have been tendered until the full design was realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

…The non event centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

I understand but why are we hearing different opinions from the 2 heads of government

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

What makes you think the Taoiseach is the one awarding the contract for this? even the most casual investigation would show you that it was an independent tender process, following the new tender rules run by Louth County Council. Nothing at all to do with the Taoiseach or Tainiste at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Your absolutely right

• Advertisement
Advertisement