Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been able to board a flight to Dublin without ID?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

That would actually make sense. Put the passports in a secure bag in the cockpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Everyone on the thread has said documentation is destroyed on the plane, I just wondered what would happen if people were denied access to their documentation on the plane. I didn't say get them back at passport control, I said when they disembarked the airplane which wouldn't be quite as chaotic.

Ryanair could even charge an upgrade where you pay to get your passport back first if they wanted, MOL would love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Wouldn't people just deny it's their passport. And then accuse the airline of losing their passport?

Maybe but passports have photographs on them, how can someone deny it's their passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

"That's not me. Are you saying all us foreigners look the same to you?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Anyone disputing a passport can be brought for interview or just sent back on the next flight.

There's no need to entertain this nonsense, this encourages people to play the system.

"What seat are you assigned to?"

"Seat 7J"

"This is the passport that was handed up from seat 7J, it must be yours. If not you can discuss it with the immigration officials that are on the way to pick you up".

It's nothing that can't be accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

I get where you are coming from. I think there was evidence of documentation going missing after the plane disembarked, but before passport control (i.e. in the airport toilets / bins). This would certainly become the case if you got your documentation back on landing, but still had to make your way to the border control.

Hence I think ultimately for your idea to achieve its outcome, it would have to be collect your documentation at the same place it will be checked (i.e. border / passport control).

Hopefully we would see that it does not make sense, and find another solution. It can never be an advantage to you to lose your documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Take all passports on boarding.No pp then bye bye.Also,any non EU pps pay 4 times the price or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You lot are nuts if you think people are just going to give their passports to random airline staff and trust that they will get them back later. Can you not see the implications of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Maybe the staff are ex cons or will parachute mid flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No way I'm handing my passport over to airline staff for an entire flight. How much vetting is done with these staff? Airlines are losing stuff all the time. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This "solution" also completely misses the point that there's ample opportunity for people to destroy their documents between getting off the plane and arriving at immigration/passport control.

You often have to hand them over to hotel staff overnight, especially on organised tours.

the passports would have to be stored in a secure container in the cockpit with the pilots who are usually vetted individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wouldn't do that either. I've worked in hotels for years. Nobody there is vetted either and there's plenty of sketchy people there too especially management who I assume would have access to the safe. Only 2 years ago a manager in a place I worked emptied the safe and tried to leg it to the airport. Maybe I'm odd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not a hope am I, as an Irish and EU citizen giving any private company my passport to hold on to. This is a **** terrible idea.

Ryanair already have this sussed. Mandatory manual visa check of non EU citizens on check in and all travellers must have a passport to board. Best of luck to the Irish government fining Ryanair, their arse is well covered.

Forget airlines. It's immigrations job to vet travellers. If someone arrives on a Ryanair flight with no documentation, they clearly they destroyed their paperwork. Ryanair have a record of every traveller. Other airlines need to do the same with their procedures.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Try and understand the topic and the differences….

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People seem to be all for complicated and convoluted ideas around passports, that staff around airports and on planes simply wouldn't have the time to do.

Aren't most planes turned around in 30min? Yet we want all passports to be checked, collected, stored, brought out at the end of the flight and individually handed out to 170 people. Ain't going to happen.

There's an easier way. Every system is automated these days, and with AI round the corner , passport control and airport boarding etc should be so automated. Every person who boards a plane should have their passport scanned. It should be stored forever against that flight, it should then be accessible at the destination immigration control. They should have the names and photos of Every single person on the flight that's just arrived. To allow someone to destroy a passport then have no clue who they are when they disembark simply isn't good enough in this day and age of data collection. It shouldn't be so easy to become anonymous.

Again if there's a will, there definitely is a way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It would make no difference since they could destroy their passport at any time and present themselves for asylum afterwards. This sounds very much like a lot of click bait nonsense from the media than an actual serious problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

They do. And the fines are to increase substantially.

This will force airlines to introduce gate recognition systems as they have in the US. They match facial image to boarding pass, ID and seat. The details are kept for about 7 days. If there's an ID query, it can be answered, but dependable on door checking the aircraft at arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I do a lot of overseas travel and put simply, nobody gets my passport except me.

No matter what happens overseas, no matter what I lose or break, as long as I have my passport and cards I can get home. Without them I am totally screwed, so the idea that I am letting them out of my sight is completely bonkers. You really think I am going to leave myself standing in the far east with no passport and some lady at a help desk telling me she doesn't know what happened to it?

I have spent substantially more time in hotels all over the world this past few years than I have in my own home and I have never left my passport with hotel staff overnight. Some look at it and take the details, but damn sure the passport stays with me.

In my experience this happens when travelling as part of a large group (eg on a Travel Department tour) checking in, where it would “take too long” to there and then take full details of 50 people.

A photo shot of every person boarding holding their ID would surely be a simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The people who destroy their ID before getting here should be sent back immediately.

All they are doing is making fools out of people who come here through official channels, which is not an easy process.

They are of no value to this country. In fact, they are a huge drain on scarce resources.

The argument against this is that some genuine cases escaping war don’t have ID… but how dafook did they get on a plane in the first place, so that destroys that argument regarding those arriving via the airport. So yes they should be sent back on return flight, and deal with the destroyed passport on their arrival back at departure airport. Of course that airport could take the same tack and return them to Dublin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

That's what they do. Matches ID, face & seat number. But only works if the flight is met and people checked as they disembark as once you ae in the passport control are you are mixed with dozens of flights.

Hence a bit of work to take a photo of the person and cross reference it with all airlines who had flights arrive in the previous couple of hours.

Quite easily done IF you get over the data rules between countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

https://www.orourkeda.blog

In cases where their ID would show they have come from a safe country and not ordinary entitled to seek asylum. Therefore that cohort of mainly economic migrants can claim they come from an unsafe country and have to be given tne benefit of the doubt and be granted the full status of asylum seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

And in some probably most cases they are fake passports and visas. In most airports you can't on board flight without passwords and visas checked. If they land at password control with fake documents they would be in different category. Make no mistake criminal gangs involved in this too making billions from fake documents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement