Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But on the plus point your money you can't get back is earning interest for Re-Chit-Chit.

And that is all that matters.

Even the cheer leaders will get there for a finish and just admit it, it's a logical conclusion, the vehement defence of this scam has been watered down to inch of it's life as is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thread continued from below as Vanilla could no longer handle the load on the old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A bit like the reverse vending machines not being able to handle the volume being added to them…😉

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

The pre DRS system, when you have an empty can or plastic bottle:

Step 1: Put it in your recycling bin in your house or garden (estimated time: 30 seconds)

The new, improved DRS system, when you have an empty can or plastic bottle (which you paid an extra 15c/30c on for DRS):

Step 1: Put in a bag/box/container for storage - but not the recycling bin which you still have

Step 2: After a period of time when you have a collection of cans/bottles, bring them to your car, making sure you don't spill anything into the boot or on the seats

Step 3: Drive to a DRS outlet

Step 4: Bring the cans/bottle in to the DRS outlet, disposing of them in a big machine powered by electricity. Obtain receipt.

Step 5: Bring to receipt to the till to obtain refund or offset against shopping

Step 6: Drive home again and return your can/bottle storage container to its location

You are now in a similar position to after step 1 in the pre DRS world.

How has this improved anything?

I know the standard response will be: "It will make people recycle MORE cans and bottles". Not for me and lots like me it doesn't.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The response is that it separates certain materials from the general recycle bin. Which is what these machines are designed for everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bookmark?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

So exactly the same end result as when the recycling companies did it in bulk?

Ive seen many many many bales of pure PET and pure aluminum come from the end of the process in waste centres, all perfectly recyclable. How does this scheme enhance that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭nachouser

I just saw a lad emptying one in a Fresh near work. It's basically a big metal box on 4 wheels. He stretched a black bag over the opening, like an ill-fitting condom. Tipped the box on its side on the shop floor then raised the end of the box to try shake everything out into the bag. It looked like an absolute pain in the hole to do. I can see why these things are frequently "out of order."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This is the explanation from Switzerland for plastics.

"Although different products are manufactured from PET, only beverage containers are suitable for PET recycling. All other PET packaging materials contaminate the collected material. This is because, first, chemically different types of PET exist that cannot be recycled together and, second, strict hygiene requirements are applicable to recycling granulate for beverage containers. Milk bottles consist of polyethylene (PE) and should not be placed in PET collection containers; their collection and recycling is organised in a separate system."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ah my friend, haven't you considered:- Re-turn is much more performative than simply recycling at home.

At a stroke, we all do much, much more for the environment than we did before.

Thats a very good point, and i should have been clearer on those bales i mentioned. The material was segregated by type, so plastic milk containers went to a different chute than drink bottles. You would have a bale of milk containers, a bale of tetrapak, a bale of coke style bottles etc, this was how the employees were trained to seperate materials. I still see no difference to how this changes the end result, bar somebody somewhere is creaming a pile of money from it now.

And as an aside, now that caps are connected to the bottles, and are made from different materials to the bottle, that aspect of the problem of mixed plastic types will continue one way or another.

https://eurekarecycling.org/caps-on-for-pet-recycling/

How Do They Separate the Two Plastics?

It seems like it would be difficult, but it’s actually quite simple. Bottles and caps are ground into flakes, washed vigorously, and then separated with a water bath float/sink process. PET sinks, while HDPE floats. Pretty ingenious!

So, now you know, that leaving caps on PET bottles is not just a matter of convenience; it’s a strategic move toward a more sustainable and accessible recycling future. In order to ensure that ALL of your beverage bottle is recycled, Eureka Recycling encourages you to cap your bottles and help us keep all of those small colorful pieces of plastic out of our waste stream.

Brilliant. So waste companies produce bales of bottles and caps, all recyclable.

Return produce bales of bottles and caps, all recyclable.

What value or improvement are return adding to this process considering the much discussed negatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

More plastic and cans being recycled, that previously just went to landfill/incinerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Hand sanitizers are needed at every machine. Also - I was at Aldi last week and the area around the machine absolutely stank ! Reminded me of the landfill smell near our estate in the 70's. Same stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bog master

More plastic being recycled, maybe? But 70% of plastics in Ireland is incinerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,183 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why hand sanitizer?? I've used the machines a number of times and never had reason to touch them except for the "Finish" button.... you'd touch the screen of a self checkout more often.

I've never noticed a stink either, I have to say.

Has anyone used the "manual return system"?

• Advertisement

None. The aluminium will be sold off as it always was in high numbers.

Remember this scam was introduced under the single use plastic directive, Re-Chit-Chit insisted on cans being included to grab more cash to sell them but also why pocket unclaimed deposits from just one item when you can double it to two.

The plastic will continue to be exported, landfilled and incinerated. With a fraction bought back on the market as pellets so the producers can stick bullshít claims on their products about recycling. Each new bottle on the market only has be made of 25-30% recycled materials.

The absolute greed of including cans in this scam guaranteed it to fail on any sort of environmental level. Any country that I have looked at that has this scam, single use plastic has increased substantially as has aluminium.

But this is just Green Theatre which is also now the law.

So shut and put up and give them your money.

There is no getting away from it.

But but but if you don't want to play, just recycle like you always did.

Well no, this scam has ripped scale away from the collection companies, the idea that anything in your "green" bin will end up recycled has never been slimmer.

Of course we all get to compensate the collection companies for their financial loss.

There is absolutely zero in this scam that benefits the public or the environment and in reality will just harm both.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

It won't be so funny if the refuse collecting companies are going to increase their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I keep wondering what the "Re-Chit-Chit" is that you always reference? Are you meaning to say KaChing/ChaChing or something?

Anyway another successful trip this morning 25 items returned, no rejects as usual. SuperValu in Churchtown seem to have 2 brilliant machines, never seen them down and took all of 2 precious mins out of my day.

If the DRS is the most aggravating thing in your life, as it seems to be for many on here, consider yourselves very lucky.

If the DRS is the most aggravating thing in your life, as it seems to be for many on here, consider yourselves very lucky.

Who suggested that?

It does appear to be the most important thing in your life though as you gleefully announce on the internet you used a dustbin successfully.

Think about that for a minute.

Any answer to the Re-Chit-Chit query? Have no idea what you mean by it.

The "your" was a collective not aimed directly at yourself. I'm merely giving my experiences as a to counter to the "They never work" "Half were rejected" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Genghis

Arguably, including cans was the most egregious part of this.

Imagine if cans were left out, what is likely to have happened is that the imposition of a deposit on plastic would lead drinks companies to move away from plastic bottling, towards cans.

Cans are infinitely recyclable, less damaging to the environment when not recycled, and had high collection rates here already via kerbside and civic recovery points. They also have higher reclaim value, and can be identified easily in mixed recycling.

Instead, by equating cans to plastic, plastic production volumes are kept more or less as is, there is basically no incentive anywhere in the DRS scheme, not for producer, retailer or consumer, to reduce plastic use. (I am discounting any minor drop in demand following DRS).

Any answer to the Re-Chit-Chit query?

It's hardly cryptic Gary.

The "your" was a collective not aimed directly at yourself.

So you quoted my post and added "your life" but it wasn't aimed at me. Jesus Gary. 😕

Anyway good for you, you managed to use a dustbin. I'm ecstatic.

I quoted you to see if I could get an answer to what the Re-hit-Chit was as it makes no sense to me, if you want to say Sh1t why not just use one, 2 is overkill and conflates it's usage.

I had said "yourselves" as well to emphasise that it was plural. It's actually not a dustbin but I won't argue that point when you (individual) are 100% against the scheme.

• Advertisement

It's actually not a dustbin

It is Gary. You are a fawning over a literal bin and gloating on the internet about using it successfully whilst making money for the retailer and the producers.

The key difference between that bin and the bin you have at home, is the bin you have at home works 100% of the time and is far more environmental.

But but there is a new logo.

Anyway, in all honesty I'm delighted you used a bin again with "no rejects as usual".

Hasn't happened me yet.

Advertisement