Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Asking questions is a good thing.

Continually asking questions of the people you know don't have the answers is unlikely to be a fruitful exercise.

It's fairly clear that nobody on this thread can provide the categorical proof being sought.

Re-turn can and should be asked to comment.

If I was devising a PR strategy for Re-turn it would include addressing this issue.

That's not misleading.

The 25% and 30% targets are for the use of recycled plastic in the manufacture of PET bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The reason why the questions are being put is because posters are expressing incredulity.

And by the same token, nor should they be looking for categorical proof of what are plausible, reasonable questions and suspicions.

Maybe they already have a PR strategy, and it is to be vague about it and mislead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It is misleading.

• a 77% separate collection target for plastic bottles by 2025 – increasing to 90% by 2029

Return have misrepresented this as being recycling targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

You're the one quoting the Re-Turn website as proof of recycling. 😅

Can you accept that its disputed? Theres no proof either way. Therefore once again the original point stands: We aren't being told. No transparency. Quoting from the promo website for Re-Turn tells us nothing.

• Advertisement

Like I said it's a fruitless exercise.

It's also plausible and reasonable to think that Re-turn are most likely doing the right thing.

The separate collection enables the production of clean recyclate.

Re-turn have committed to use 98% of the plastic they collect to produce recyclate.

Separate collection makes it easier to recycle, but it is far from a guarantee it will actually be recycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As soon as I see proof that contradicts the re-turn website, or even that the re-turn website is incorrect I will certainly agree with you

And as soon as I see proof that confirms whats on the Re-Turn website I will agree with you. That's the very definition of something being disputed. Quoting the Re-Turn website isnt proof. Jesus Christ what age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

And that auld website claims you can return your inscope containers at a RVM or over the counter. Still waiting to hear of anyone who has returned over the counter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Mr Price were doing it in the early days as were most of the international shops, polish, asian etc. Not sure if that's still the case mind

The Return website contradicts the EU commission website. It has no credibility.

The proof is already on the thread that the Return website is incorrect, multiple times, claiming otherwise has no basis.

Did you actually see anyone doing it though?

Did they have any signs up?

Because I've been in Mr Price a few times since Return came in and zero indication of manual returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

On the Gillete website it says "The best a man can get". Is that incontrovertible proof that Gillette is the best razor a man can get?

On the Carlsberg website it says "Probably the best lager in the world" Is that incontrovertible proof that Carlsberg is the best beer a person can get?

On the Red Bull website it says "Red Bull gives you wings. Is that incontrovertible proof that Red Bull gives you wings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Funny hearing one of the shills saying something is a fruitless exercise. Seems posting here is also the same. Had a post deleted on here, no feedback or message about it. Just deleted, gone, never to be mentioned again. A direct reply to one of the shills. So it seems the mods on this thread are taking the side of the shills, and for that reason I'm done with this thread. There's zero good faith left in it.

All I will leave it with (and taking a screenshot in case it's stealthily deleted again) this reminder, and hopefully someone will gove bogmaster the reply he so badly wants!

If the machines are not working, demand a manual return. Re-Turn have confirmed they have to take manual if the machines are not working. Do not let them turn you away.

Is this the post you are referring to ?

I was just about to quote it to show that even you didn't get to carry out a manual return.

Despite all the work done by you, @bogmaster and my small attempt at the airport manual return remains elusive.

Please reconsider leaving the thread.

Oh, I meant to add, I'm not a shill for anything on this site and I always post in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My prediction is that the 15 and 25 cents will stay. But it makes sense not to set them in stone in any legislation.

"The Minister may set, and adjust, the deposit amount or amounts after consultation with an approved body, where it appears that –

(a) the cost is insufficient to incentivise consumers to return in scope bottles and in-scope containers to the scheme, or

(b) the revenues returned to the approved body from the scheme are exceeding or are insufficient to cover operational costs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do Mr. Price have any RVMs? I've never seen one, I'd only ever be in 2 stores though. They might have no option if not. That said I've never seen anyone try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Not been in Mr Price but I have seen one in Dealz, but it wasn't plugged in.

According to their website… All Mr.PRICE stores will offer Manual Returns.
    Given their size they wouldn't have an exemption.

However, having been into the stores, I didn't see any signage indicating that in store, or anyone attempting one.

https://www.mrprice.ie/re-turn-scheme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If the machines are not working, demand a manual return. Re-Turn have confirmed they have to take manual if the machines are not working. Do not let them turn you away.

This is much easier said than done, in fairness, especially when the shop you demand take a manual return in is the one you shop in every day. I can see a situation whereby an altercation over whether a manual return is refused/demanded being very uncomfortable for the shopper in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

In other words the house always wins? And you would be hauling your empties back home only to not to irritate staff who refuse to do what they are supposed to do.

No to that in my case. I was lucky so far that machines were always working but I am not going back with empties if they will be offline. The staff already knows me as I am consistently dumping all bottles and cans over there no matter where I bought them and cashing out vouchers. That shop is closest to where I live and even though I do shop there only once a week it is convenient location for returning empties.

I am not being pr1ck. I am always polite but firm. It is my money which I want back. Simple.

A lot of the theory on Re-Turn.ie is fanciful at best. By the time someone gets as far as manual return they're probably already demented with storing containers, sh!t RVMs, OOO RVMs, humping containers around and other such frustrating, time wasting Re-Turn activities. It's a percentages game that's working well for the deposit slush fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Genuine question, but why is it plausible they are most likely doing the right thing?

In my eyes, they have not done a single thing right with this since the beginning.

The announcement, the implementation, the PR, the cost increases, the expectant attitude, the usurping of the actual waste companies on material, being shady with numbers, being shady with salaries, being patronising whenever in the media, deleting negative social media comments, refusing to respond to enquiries or dismissing them then outright lying about that fact on radio by telling us to get in touch and they'll assist, the reduction of choice as some products removed from sale, the list of things not done right is quite long.

But for me its the hugely negative environmental impact and the fact that they quite openly couldn't give a sh*t about housebound or disabled people that really irks.

And every single thing they've done wrong, with incorrect charges at the beginning, bottles not being read etc, is being paid for by money stolen directly from the public. During a cost of living crisis.

Genuine answer.

If you read back you'll see that was in response to suggestions that plastic collected by the DRS might be incinerated.

Do you believe that the people capable of the rap sheet you compiled would be stupid enough to risk it all by doing something dodgy with the recyclate ?

My experience of life and how the world works says no they wouldn't.

Of course I could be wrong but then again so could the accusers.

We will eventually get the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, i do believe they could risk it, because time and time again we have seen in this country that even when you get caught, at the right level, there will be no consequences.

Look at the Rte thread for a perfect example, gross mismanagement, horrible behaviour, and rewarded with an even bigger bag of public money.

The difference here is people are asking questions now rather than waiting twenty years for an expose in a newspaper because we are absolutely sick of being fleeced for absolutely everything.

Ten years ago we all believed that recyclables we put in our green bin were being recycled, but lo and behold much of it was being incinerated. Its only right that Re-Turn are absolutely transparent in the wake of that.

The government could have sorted this years ago and didn't, and now we're paying for it by being beholden to a third party that has made an absolute hames of every single aspect.

I'll stick with my assessment of the situation.

By the way, I have no problem with holding Re-turn to account for any wrongdoing they are proven to have committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

Asian countries have said they do not want any more of it,clothing included.

Advertisement