Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19 in Summer 2024

Options
  • 05-06-2024 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

With reports of another new variant, I’m interested to see how people are acting about Covid these days

1. Do you test for Covid if sick? If so, what symptoms do you consider “sick” enough to be tested for?

2. If you don’t test, what do you do if sick? Do you isolate until you are better for 48 hours like the HSE recommends? Even for sniffles?

3. If you test negative, do you isolate like above?

4. If you test positive, do you isolate for 5 days?

5. When have you last heard of someone you know having Covid? I last had it in November. I felt like I was on death’s door for 6/7 hours and then fine again. I texted due to aches and a fever. I isolated for 5 days, and wore a mask for 5 more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I took Covid very seriously, did all the lockdowns etc etc.

Now we have to move on with our lives.

I will still pop on a mask for the rare occasions I'm visiting a hospital.

I can't remember the last time I took a test and I doubt I'd bother unless directed by medical staff.

If I just had sniffles I'd still be out and about....more likely hayfever anyway.

If I don't feel great , I'll stay at home, but wouldn't be doing a covid test, pretty basic stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I still have covid tests and will test if I have a temperature as it is extremely rare for me to have higher than normal temperature.

Masks only on airports - a bit of "OCD" on my side here as both times I got covid was after such trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Cases are on the rise. As of yesterday, Tallaght Hospital has imposed restrictions on visiting due to outbreaks of Covid and Norovirus.

Thought I had it last week, but an antigen test was negative. However as someone else on the other thread pointed out to me, while a positive test means you do have covid, a negative test doesn't mean you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Covid is still circulating widely. I know many ppl who have had it recently. Most of them recovered from it after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Know loads with it now, fella in Aldi today with a mask on buying tests & telling everyone to stay away from him. If your at a social event over the next few weeks the chances of not catching it are slim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I stayed at home for 48 hours every time I sniffled, in this climate I'd be housebound from September to May!

I'll take whatever tests a medical professional says to take. And I'll stay at home without visitors if I'm sick - don't need a covid diagnosis for that to be common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

In my opinion (and my doctor’s), unless you feel too unwell to go out, you should only isolate for a fever. And chances are if you have a fever you’ll be too unwell regardless to go out. But if you have a cough or runny nose or sore throat but otherwise feel fine, I see zero reason why you’d need to isolate at home. It would be smart to mask if sick, especially on public transport. I only test for Covid if a doctor tells me, or I have a cough or fever. Basically, I’d do what everyone did prior to March 2020 other than wearing a mask if sick

However, I assume the vast majority of people don’t wear masks if sick, or do anything at all unless they physically can’t get out of bed. I also assume most people haven’t done a Covid test in a long time, nor has Covid even crossed their mind. I think the world is finally back to the way it was pre-2020, but with a lot of people more conscious of hand cleaning and mask wearing (which isn’t a bad thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I'm finished with Covid.

When I did catch it back in 2022 it felt like hay-fever except I lost smell and taste which is probably only 50% back.

I won't be testing ever again.

Moved on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Hope you have the decency to stay away from people when sick.

I have to attend a clinic in TUH on Monday and will be seeking advice before attending, as my last vaccine was over a year ago and I'm still in a high risk category (diabetes plus respiratory) so I'll do what I can to protect my health.

If I do go, I will be going masked. Still have some N95 masks.

• Advertisement

What do you define as sick? Should you be isolating for a basic cold? What about just a tickly cough? Or do you mean fever and unwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Amazing how giving something a name has people doing a whole raft of things that they wouldn't for a second consider doing for whatever else that would result in the exact same symptoms.

Did you learn anything during the pandemic? Covid can feel like a cold and tests are unreliable with symptoms.

That didn’t answer my question. Also, the HSE website says isolate if you have symptoms *and* you feel unwell. Multiple doctors (whom I have no relationship with) have told me there is no longer a need to test, and the only time you should isolate is if you’re positive. Otherwise half the country would be isolating at any one time given everything is a symptom of Covid (e.g. runny nose, tiredness, achy, sore throat)

Sounds like the doctors are giving out the same HSE advice. You don't need to test, you isolate when positive and it also says isolate with symptoms. Ignore runny nose and whatever you want. But there's people going around with colds and flu on them. And it can take days to get a positive result with symptoms. Christ, what is it that people don't understand?

So, there is no longer a need to test, and you should only isolate if you're positive….

So how do you find out if you're positive, if you don't do a test? 🤔

When my daughter called for an appointment for her GP last week, the first question they asked was "have you done an antigen test".

You don't need to test (the HSE also say this), but should you test (whether that be by choice or on a doctor's recommendation) and it is positive, you must isolate for 5 days, and be conscious of who you are around for another 5 (when I had Covid, I just wore a mask in work for the 5 additional days)

Isolate with symptoms and feel unwell. I personally don't know anyone who would isolate for symptoms. In my office the past few days (full of older people and vulnerable people), people have come in with bad coughs and colds. And I imagine if I even asked had they tested they'd laugh at me. When I was in college during the pandemic, people would come in coughing. I was in a taxi in Dublin recently and the driver told me he is sick but took an antigen test just in case and it was negative. I know doctors who go to work sick and wear a mask. Prior to March 2020, no one would even think of isolating for a cold (essentially what Covid is now, even if for some people it's a bad cold) unless they couldn't get out of bed, and the world didn't stop spinning.

deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I continue on with my life like any other day if the week.

Covid will never ever be a cold. It damages every organ in the body. It passes the blood brain barrier. It causes lymphocytopenia. It is more similar to HIV. It weakens your immune system. Repeated infections are bad and the more infections, more chance of long covid.

• Advertisement

I'll leave this here. There's no such thing as a mild SARS-COV-2 infection.

https://x.com/ChrisCuomo/status/1803231742708306205?t=qMOJ84bn8_p51VtGi7cKcQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i totally forgot about covid actually until i saw people on the bus today wearing masks. Guess i need to wear a mask again

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TT rainbows

just coming to end of day 5 of covid infection. Started with cold like symptoms but fever,high temp meant nothing like a cold. If you could go to work like this then fair play to you.
    No incentive for me to take time off work but can't work and staying in room.
    Taking parecetmol reduced fever a bit until chills and shaking start again when effects wear off.

Wife had it before me and I hoped with general health and vac's there'd be chance I'd skip it. Tested negative on antigen test first day with mild fever and general feeling tired and crappy. But then positive next morning. Fever stopped now but Weak and feeling a bit battered. People who say it's just like mild cold and get on with it are lucky or naieve. Flirt variant popular around the world now with infectious waves in several countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I had a high temperature for a couple of days this week...the wife had a few covid tests lying around from a couple of years ago....i took one and low and behold - I tested positive.....

After dodging it for 4 years I finally caught it.....

My wife was slagging me saying I had the 'Man flu' earlier in the week....now shes pìssed off at me!

Overall, its just like a flu...the main symptoms were gone after 48hours and I am not too bad now....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm currently a patient in tallaght hospital. Ti's quiet on the wards. I believe there are tricolour whack jobs outside making conspiracy videos. Lockdown is for covid and vomiting bugs neither I wish to get

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

From the Journal.

THERE WERE OVER 1,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Ireland last week, a 60% increase on the week before. The Health Surveillance Protection Centre (HSPC) said that indicators continue to show moderate to high levels of Covid-19 transmission.

The number of people hospitalised as a result also increase by 56% in the same period, with 486 hospitalisations reported, compared to 321 the week before… Admissions of people to ICU stayed stable, however, with just 25 patients in intensive care units with the disease.

The main Covid variant in Ireland is the JN.1. Prevalence of the KP.3 variant is also increasing as cases rise.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-increase-in-cases-6420175-Jun2024/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

Just goes to show it's still a serious health issue!

If you're over 80 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LastApacheInjun

ugh. I have come down with a sore throat, painful cough and temp this morning.

We’ve no Covid tests left, and honestly I’m not bothered about going to get one. It probs covid as my husband was out with co workers two weeks ago who all came down with it. My husband got very mild symptoms four days later, and then my son has been basically coughing into my face for the past week.

I’m taking the day off work and then WFH tomorrow. By next Monday I should be alright and will be back in the office on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or if you have a vulnerable condition.

Or you live \ take care with those people.

Or you've involved in providing critical medical care.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement