Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19 in Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mild compared to other variants.

Same points by and large as before.

Nowhere does it say this is a mild disease full stop in terms of its overall impact which was the previous misrepresentation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The article says weaker than other variants at first, then goes on to call the disease "very mild in healthy individuals". So basically a weaker strain is becoming the dominant strain, with the belief from Trinity College Dublin immunologist Professor Kingston Mills that getting it isn't 'that bad' of a thing for those who are healthy

https://www.newstalk.com/news/very-transmissible-covid-strain-evolving-away-from-vaccine-1740820

“They cause more upper respiratory tract infections than lower,” he told The Pat Kenny Show.

“That's not as dangerous because when it goes into the lung, it can be very severe and can result in pneumonia and death.” 

https://www.wlrfm.com/news/huge-rise-in-covid-19-cases-in-past-week-366666

"Kingston Mills, Professor of Experimental Immunology at Trinity College Dublin said despite the increase we should not be overly concerned. "The ICU cases are very low so it's much milder than it has been," he said.

"The latest variants have evolved to be more infectious but do not cause as much severe disease as the earlier variants.""

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

They're doing a good job at tricking us. That's for sure. They want us to stop caring about covid and say it's mild and it's only the vulnerable at risk. Meaning you, the reader will be fine. Bad things happen to others but not you.

This isn't true at all, and the science clearly shows it's not true, but somehow we let them get away with it.

What do they, including the Trinity immunologist, gain from lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dano650

Are people still worried about covid? There has been a significant rise in cases the last few weeks but it looks like a majority of people don't care about it anymore. You rarely see a person wear a face mask now

It's interesting to see what is being refferred to as a significant increase, though. This number only shows people who have been positive in labs, i.e. it isn't going to know Bob Smith did an antigen and was positive. But if you compare it to the 1000s of cases that were recorded not that long ago

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41432677.html

"There were 28 covid cases in the week of May 27 in Cork city, with these numbers increasing weekly to 39, 70, 84 and then 87 last week."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

My husband and I caught it about a month ago, kids didn't catch it. I spent one day in bed asleep/feverish etc. and felt wiped for about 3 days but nothing like the first dose I caught a few years ago. My sense of smell and taste feels further diminished though, particularly sense of smell.

We stayed away from other people for approx 5 days aside from going to vote, we wore masks and went in late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hi,

Just spotted this thread .

Anyone have flu symptoms at the moment? 🤧

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have it atm .

Had to cancel some appointments and was told that " every second person has it " !

Not very scientific I know but when you are only testing those admitted to hospital its not going to show up a rise in community cases .

Thanks, only suddenly got flu like symptoms yesterday, aches & pains, just feeling rubbish. Not sure if its covid or plain flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very unlikely to be flu at this time of year, it is more seasonal than covid.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thanks,the weather is so unseasonally cold for this time of year also..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never taken a covid test but if and when I develop symptom’s of any respiratory nature or a temperature I’ll do so.

I’ll just isolate if feeling unwell or testing positive , it’s not a big deal, reading, gaming, watching TV….. be grand.

My cousin’s entire family have covid…they were on a Mediterranean cruise, got back into Dublin Sunday or Monday and the next day all 5 with symptoms and confirmed with tests. Symptoms are mild even though 3 are asthmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm absolutely battered by it this time round. First time I got it in early 2021 I had very mild fever and chills for a day and that was more or less it. I haven't had it since then (knowingly at least) but this time I'm on day 3 of symptoms and not really getting any better. Headache, sore throat, congested, cough, bit short of breath, fever and aches & pains all over. Paracetamol helps but it's still rotten, much worse than any cold or flu I've had in the past.

As odyssey said no flu around .

Have you a bad cough as well ?

Only starting to feel slightly better day 4 but still miserable .

Cough is the worst .Dry barking continuously, making me retch .Sorry tmi .

Have started a spray on my doctor's suggestion to ease my throat every couple of hours and it has helped but still taking paracetamol.

Absolutely drownded wet , sheets and PJs , a few times in the last 24hours and finally think it has 'broken ' ,temperature now settling .

This is a lot worse than Omicron .

No, just suddenly developed aches & pains in both my shoulders out of nowhere. Had a sore throat two days ago that cleared up quickly enough. No cough.

Doesn't sound like my dose.

I and my oh had similar about a month ago and didn't test positive .

All aches and pains everywhere .

He was worse than me and tested a couple of times , So we had antigen tests in the house .The lines went nearly black straight away when I tested the other day .

What I am saying is you won't know for sure unless you test .

If you are not coughing and spluttering there is no real issue after a few days anymore as long as you avoid those vulnerable or high risk so the guidance says .

We test because I am are high risk and one of my family is also , so need to know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

we didn’t cough either. Aches and pains and headaches. Stuffed nose and sinus pain. Definitely had it. Tested positive. It was all upper respiratory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Is the guidance for staying away from others still 5 days from symptom onset? I've had symptoms since Tuesday and have a family event Saturday. I've improved a good bit today but still have a dry cough, congestion and a sore throat that I think is mainly from coughing. I know people might say don't be stupid nobody is isolating etc. but I have vulnerable relatives that I'd prefer not to put at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

After feeling poorly wednesday and thursday last I tested myself positive on friday. Still positive today. Sore throat, low energy. Informed work but was told to come in as usual tomorrow. HSE guidelines are very confusing. Will clarify with management in the morning that they were informed and if theres any spread and subsequent illness/people out sick its on them.

The advice is definitely confusing. Wednesday would be your Day 0, so your fifth day would be Monday, i.e. come back on Tuesday

When I had it in November, HSE Live told me you could be positive for months and to not do anymore tests. Just complete the five days. There was also something about not having a fever, I think for 24 or 48 hours before finishing too. You’re also supposed to avoid vulnerable people for 5 days after (an impossible ask, I think). I combatted this by isolating for six days, and wearing a mask in work for the final four days (and I worked from a private office instead of the open plan). I did six as I’m allowed one WFH day a week, so I used my WFH day then. I asked if I could work from home for the final four days and was told no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I had mild symptoms yesterday (headache and blocked nose) and they still insist today so I did a test- came back positive straight away. For now headache is the main symptom, really hitting me.

Unsure where I caught it, I haven't been in close contact with a single person since Friday. Very unlucky I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Soc_Alt

My Missus tested positive yesterday . I have symptoms today.

Btw, there is already a thread to discuss symptoms if you're positive. This thread was just to discuss restrictions/guidance that's in place in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dano650

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Soc_Alt

There won't be any except for maybe hospitals and mask wearing at doctors.

Covid is rampant at the moment. People have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Grey123

Currently have covid, symptoms very mild, wast tired day one and two and a blocked nose. However the 5 days is very inconvenient. Is it still more dangerous than a common cold? Or is it simply that we can test for it?

I hear its everywhere but don't hear about people cancelling things / out of work.

I suspect lots don't test or even if they do maybe don't meet an old / venerable person but don't cancel all other plans and keep working?

How does the current strain compare to say the common cold? Basically am I a mug for staying home?

Advertisement