Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeper Recommendation for ugly garden wall

Options
  • 05-06-2024 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Folks,Novice here. I have an ugly garden wall which I would like to plant a creeper to cover it up. There is grass on one side and tarmac on the other. If I plant a creeper on the grass side will it eventually climb the 3ft wall and continue to grow downwards over the other side? If so do you have any recommendations for an evergreen one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

https://futureforests.ie/products/hedera-colchica-paddys-pride

Will need to be kept from spreading elsewhere if you don't want it taking over. It's as strong as rope to pull, but behaves if you keep it in it's place

It will definitely top the wall and grow down the way if you help it along as it grows

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed the variagated ivy is the best bet for reliable cover. Which side of the wall is sunnier? If its the tarmac side and you plant it on the grass side there is a much better chance of it going over the top, though ivy is pretty easy going and copes well with shade. Just don't let the ivy grow into a big heap on top of the wall, it will act like a sail and could bring the wall down - been there, done that, though it was not the best wall in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

Virginia Creeper, very colourful but looses it's leaves in Winter.

Post edited by denismc on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 str8y

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Will go with the evergreen ivy. The tarmac side gets most of the sunlight especially in winter time so will plant it on the grass side, hopefully works out well.

Advertisement