Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids First Pedal Bike - Sizing!

Options
  • 05-06-2024 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

Right, little lad is about to take the plunge into his first pedal bike. We're aiming to skip stabilisers as he is well used to his balance bike and has a good sense of balance on it, so much so that if we're stopped somewhere he's trying to do track stands (and does a better job than I do!).

Ive read plenty online and a lot seem to aim at the 16" size but a lot of the size charts have him closer to a 20"! He's tall/big for his age (over 120cm, seeminlgy at the 6 year old mark on most bike sizing guides!!) but is only turning 4 so i'm anxous that a 20" might be a bit too difficult to master. I dont want him to have too many bad experiences starting out!

Curious on peoples experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Hard to say, really, without seeing him standing by / sitting on the bike.

The general rule of thumb with adults is that you should be able to touch the ground with the balls of your feet when sitting and the bike is stationary.

With kids, I'd go a bit further and say they should be able to put their feet flat on the ground while stationary, more for confidence and safety than anything else. If he can do that on the 20", even if you have to have the saddle down low, I'd go for that. It means he won't grow out of it as quickly either, so you won't have to replace it as early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Don't underestimate the transition. My lad has just turned 4 in the last few weeks and is 115cm. Was an absolute FLYER on his 14" balance bike too but making the step to a pedal bike has been a little slower. I've put him on a 16" Commencal. We also skipped the stabilisers. There are a fair few additional things to master and they have no muscle memory - pedaling, braking, stopping, starting, pedal strikes etc.

If you pick up something like a Woom3 or Frog55 second hand they are almost depreciation proof. Can see how he is on a 16" and then flip it for a 20".

• Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

There's a lot more weight in a bigger bike which can make it harder to get started. Also I think all 16inch kids bikes are single speed but the 20 inch bikes usually have gears. Gears just add complexity, not what you want when you're learning.

He might only need the 16 inch for a year or so but if you get a frog 48/cnoc 16 or similar second hand for €150-200 and then you can shift it on when he's moving up and get most of your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

deffo skip stabilisers they are no good and kids don’t learn how to balance a bike. They just lean to the side when pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

My daughter is 6, 115-120cm tall and I put her on a 20” vitus and it’s far from big on her. She was on a 14” woom before which was obviously way too small. She loves the new bike and having gears etc. and flys around on it.

fair play on planning for no stabs - it’s the best way to go. Also, Woom bikes are great, much nicer than the Vitus. I’m a big believer of light bikes for young kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

At 4, whatever you buy will be too big for him at the start, will fit perfectly for a nanosecond, and will rapidly become too small.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Frog have their own app which is useful

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frogbikes.FrogFit.Android

Don't over think it buy Frog, Wool etc second hand (they are usually near mint) and sell when done for similar money.

My young lad is 6 and on a Frog 55, but he'll grow out of that quickly.

The bigger wheels tend to be geared, he may struggle with finger strength for gear changing!

Young lad had one of these, class little bike

https://eu.earlyrider.com/products/belter-16?variant=42670153629846

Advertisement