Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death - UK bank accounts

• 05-06-2024 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has any advice . My granny called today - asking for help. Her cousin died in the UK . She is old and cannot speak English - and her friend sorted death certificate etc. Her body was brought back home where she was born . Looks like a friend forged some documents on nans name. She never gave Nan a death certificate either. Nas cousins ex partner contacted Nan today to tip her off that her cousin has a large sum of money in account and as my Nan is next of kin - she asked for my help. Here is the burner - lady that kept a death certificate ( I suspect has taken money out of it and any incoming payments ) . Nan asked her if she could get a death certificate and a friend ate her on the phone and Nan was shaken up as she came out with most vile things .

I have now rang bank and blocked Nan's cousin's account. I have also now paid for death certificate also.

My question is if I informed bank death date - and given proof she was indeed deceased at this date is there any way to recover money that was taken after her death?

FYI I have no financial interest in all this . Just want to get my nan what is rightfully hers as she looked after cousins parents until their death.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Did the deceased leave a will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You can't just rock up to a bank with a death certificate and take the money out of someone else's account.

More to the story - maybe they were a joint account holder, granted probate or fraud or…

Contact a solicitor and the police if fraud is suspected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

I do know that but I needed to prevent anything else taken out- hence blocking the account. That's why I'm here - wondering is it worth my while getting solicitor if money cannot be recovered that has been taken out. Has to be UK one as probates differ (already spoke to my solicitor on matter )

Fyi no will no other living relatives .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, it's going to depend on how much money was taken out, and on whether you hope to recover it by pursuing the person who took it, or by pursuing the bank for wrongly paying it out to them.

Establish the facts first and then worry about whether to instruct a solicitor.

Worth mentioning that the person entitled to pursue this is whoever is appointed in the UK to administer your nan's cousin's estate. If anybody is going to instruct a solicitor, it should be them. So one of the facts you need to establish is who's going to administer the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Here anyway some banks will pay out for funeral expenses on production of invoice and death cert, who paid to have her body sent home for funeral? That could account for a withdrawal legitimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

So someone will need to be appointed by the UK probate office to administer the estate. As things currently stand your nan has no entitlement to access any of the deceased assets. So next step will be to get letters of administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

contact one of the solicitors from the Heirhunters TV show - this is essentially their speciality and they operate on a %age of the recovery where they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You can report it to the police as theft. the police might be able to recover the money if it hasn't been spent.

So this has come full circle finally after 20 days received death certificate and obviously spent hour or so with bank confirming relation and all that sweet stuff. 45 k gone. The person I'm suspecting has spent it on everyday food shop etc . Nothing extravagant - I'd imagine so that bank wouldn't suspect anything.

Bank very heartfelt and did genuinely sound concerned. They are issuing statements after death had accounted and I'm guessing next step is video appointment with bank once I have confirmed fraudulent transactions. And report fraud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement