Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correcting for the SEC

Options
  • 05-06-2024 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I corrected for the SEC well over a decade ago.

I am aware that many things have changed since then, namely the increase in pay and the introduction of online marking.

I have a few questions:

Would it still be financially worthwhile for a full time teacher to correct? I recall how much went on tax the last time I did it.

Also, what is the online marking like?

What has to be done on the sprioc lá day?

I won't be available on the Sprioc lá day this year. I vaguely remember from when I corrected last, I think I either went to the post office or went back up to Athlone with the bag of scripts ( my memory fails me!)

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Online marking much easier - no counting of papers, totting, working out statistics. It's a dream.

Sprioc Lá is the day by which everything has to be sent off (emailed) - reports etc. You could easily have it all done by the day before (or earlier).

I can't speak on the money thing as I am not a full time teacher and it would depend on your tax situation, but the rates are SUBSTANTIALLY up on ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

Sorry to hijack but this is somewhat related….

Can anyone tell me definitively if you can make a contribution to an AVC in respect of income from correcting?

I know its not pensionable….in that it wont be reckonable/counted for your teaching pension but surely as its over 50% or more gone in tax you can make a contribution to an PRSA/AVC in respect of it and somewhat soften the blow by providing some supplementation for a pension?

If you cant do that, then the tax really is punitive for the work and time involved and you might be better off finding a part time gig you can make contributions to an AVC on to reduce the tax deductions and give you more benefit for your time and effort….there is definitely over half of it gone for good if you cant ……for a what amounts to a month of your time….when you take that into account it don't look that great tbh

Does anyone know definitively? Is there a rule that if its under PRSI class S or S0 then that's it, you definitely cannot make contributions to an PRSA/AVC in respect of that employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I can't see why you couldn't make AVCs in repect of all your income, including these earnings.

Note that there are age-related limits, and earnings limits.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pension/relief/how-to-claim.aspx

Rental income can't be used as a base for AVCs, but wage income can be.

Limitations on AVCs
    There are a number of limitations on AVCs:
    • Only current active members of occupational pension schemes can contribute to an AVC, i.e. an
    employee and current member of their employer’s occupational pension scheme.
    • If the consumer leaves employment, he or she has to stop contributing to their AVCs related to that
    employment.
    • The maximum limit for income tax relief on employee contributions to all occupational pension
    schemes of the same employment includes AVCs.
    The benefits provided under the employer’s occupational pension scheme and under the AVC cannot
    in total exceed the normal maximum Revenue approvable benefits for that individual.
    If the combination of both scheme benefits gives rise to benefits in excess of the maximum Revenue
    approvable benefits, then the benefits under the employer’s occupational pension scheme will be
    reduced and if this gives rise to a surplus it may be returned to the employer as a taxable trading
    receipt.
    It is therefore important that individuals do not over contribute to AVCs at a level which may give
    rise to total benefits in excess of Revenue maximum approvable benefits as otherwise they could
    effectively end up subsidising their employer's contribution to the employer occupational pension
    scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Treppen

What exactly is the story with marking exams. Are you an employee or contractor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contractor I believe.

• Advertisement

Does being a contractor have implications for ability to contribute to an avc?

Getting conflicting info from two separate sources in revenue on it no less....two separate "advisors" one a paid financial advisor and an accountant can't seem to give a definitive answer either.

+ a pensions advisor that works with the accountancy firm said "its a very complex area" and ask the department....so maybe I'll fo that....I would have thought revenue would get the definitive source...

Ffs you think it would be a relatively straightforward cut and dried yes or no…and if it's a no there would be a decent justification

Would it be that you have to have a separate avc in respect of the sec stuff...it can't be linked to other employment?

Well exam supervisors get a P60, or whatever it's called now.

So they are employees.

I feel it's the same for examiners.

The SEC is an employer in your Revenue account.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2010-09-29/104/ 

couldn't get the above to work as a link and it's from 2010 ...but they are mentioning the prd at that stage applying to sec work even though its not pensionable

Seems like wanting to eat your cake and have it afterwards too if you can't contribute to an avc combined with your main employment on the basis of it....they are clearly linking the taxation to your main employment…

Will investigate further, I find it amazing a definitive answer isn't immediately forthcoming from at least one of yhe sources I've asked.

If you are a serving teacher, with an AVC, you would not have a separate AVC just for the SEC earnings.

But you can contribute to your AVC based on the SEC earnings.

Here is an example.

Teacher earns 50k

SEC earnings 5k.

You can make contributions to your AVC based on the 55k earnings.

No need for any advisor, I am telling you that now.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that, thank you. I have a written communication on revenue online that directly contradicts what I think and what you are saying.

I will query it. Such a faff.

It's quite something that a range of professionals one would assume would be somewhat familiar and revenue themselves don't seem to know.

Rental earnings do not count for calculating "net relevant earnings for pension contributions".

Wages incomes do count.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/pensions/chapter-26.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33 seekingthetruth

Can the same be asked for Superintending?

Can I take the receipt / P60 / income earnings in writing from the SEC to Cornmarket and then have it applied to my AVC deduction even if only at the end of the tax year?

I have checked this out further.

"AVC's are only in relation to the income earned from the employer that has the pension scheme. The additional €5k SEC wages can't be included when calculating the amount that can go into an AVC."

There is a suggestion that a second AVC could be set up, for the second employment.

The extra SEC earnings can't be used as a base to add pension conts to the main AVC that is linked to the main employment.

But, the extra SEC earnings are "PRSAable, but not as an AVC to the main employment."

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2021profile

Thanks spurious for your reply and all of that information, I really appreciate it.

As I will be paying full tax, I was wondering if it would be worth my while? For example, would OL leaving cert English pay well after tax? Or JC history?

If anyone has an idea what I might take home after tax for these subjects..

TIA

On the full tax, well….it's better than it was, perhaps others here who are on full tax can advise you, by PM if they like.

In terms of money per paper, I would expect LC OL History to pay more than JC Common Level History, though I do not know the exact amounts.

It worked out about 52% of my OHs take home was deducted in various taxes/charges if that's any help...might be a rough rule of thumb if you are on the top rate

Anybody who earns more than 42k in Ireland in 2024 faces a crazy high marginal tax rate of 48.5%

tax = 40%

PRSI = 4%

USC = 4.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Aa

Advertisement