Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import new from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 06-06-2024 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, trying to get some definitive information on importing a NEW unregistered bike from Northern Ireland. Last time I did this, it was in mid 2020, the dealer registered it first up there, I paid UK VAT and then he refunded it when I paid Irish VAT.

In the process of buying a new bike from another shop and they wont be registering in NI first and proposing shipping it to me in the south so I can pay VRT and VAT on it. Thats not a problem and I have factored in the costs.

However because the Irish revenue site is like navigating boards.ie these days I can't seem to get a straight answer. https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/registering-vehicles-from-ni.aspx This link only mentions new vehicles that were previously in mainland UK and then brought to NI for sale.

Am I right in thinking that I wont have to pay customs duty on the import ? If not, then can anyone please provided clarification and proof ?

Many Thanks 😉

Advertisement