Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self propelled petrol mower vs electric cordless

Options
  • 06-06-2024 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My old Mountfield mower had died. I have looked at lawnmower thread but it is very long... The possible convenience of an electric, lighter, no petrol, storage is very appealing but I have a third of an acre of uneven ground with docks and its more of a meadow than a bowling green. Budget for petrol around 400 or less, might stretch to 500 if I thought I could get a reliable durable cordless electric. The Mountfield at Screwfix looks appealing but see they are making an electric version but no sign of it in Ireland .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cathy427

Any light mower will struggle with a rough meadow and cheap electric will get nowhere. Might need a shot of the strimmer first if its gone into a meadow.

Do you intend cutting it every week during growing season or semi meadow with just occasional cut?

If latter could just cut a few walkways through it and let rest go wild.

Which Mountfield you looking at? They have a few. Didn't find screwfix any great value for mowers.

There is a number of people with huge knowledge on that thread you mentioned and it gets good traffic so might be worth asking to get your question moved to there for more expert answers.

If there an agricultural co op near you (co - op superstores/ topline/homeland) they often have goodish mowers around the €350 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I have an electric Ego mower ( powered by 56V 7.5A battery pack), it has plenty of power and can manage my half acre of mossy lawn. Depending on the length of your grass, you might get away with raising the mowing height to max for a first cut, otherwise a strim is probably advisable first. Now the downsides - the problem with Ego is their kit is expensive, you might be looking at doubling your budget for mower with 21" cutting deck with fast charger and 2 batteries. Also, you need to take care of the batteries if you want them to last. I absolutely love not having to deal with petrol, oil and servicing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a lightweight battery mower about 3 years ago, can't remember the make, something obscure, and its an absolute workhorse. It acts as a semi-strimmer, will tackle long grass and weeds with the collecting box off and the lid propped open with a stick (very high tech), you do tend to get covered in mulch though. We do have a strimmer for the serious stuff. On short grass it just purrs through it no problem. After two and a bit seasons of absolute abuse it has just had to have new back wheels - one got a wobble - but now its going fine again. A neighbour with a ride-on cuts the main part of the grass (an acre altogether), but the little mower does all the awkward bits and edges etc. Cost me about €250 I think. I can check the name tomorrow if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

This was recommended over on the lawnmower thread as giving best bang for buck for €400. I got it and have been delighted with it, whether collecting or mulching.

https://monaghanhire.com/collections/push-lawnmowers/products/legacy-walk-behind-lawnmower-l51shl-t

• Registered Users Posts: 6 c markievicz

Thanks for all replied so far. Interested in what you have been using Look-see. Also checking out that Legacy model. Generally cut every week weather permitting during the summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 c markievicz

Any luck with the name of that mower , thanks

Advertisement