Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need planning for a driveway in an old house

Options
  • 06-06-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying an old redbrick house in dublin which has iron railings. Setup something similar to this picture

I would like to change the pedestrian gate for a driveway. I was told in these old houses it is very unlikely, however a number of neighbours have a driveway. Perhaps 25% of the road have them. The mostly different but are 100 year old red bricks. Not protected structures.

Would I need planning? Would I be very unlikely to get it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You need planning. Have a search for planning applications on the road to see if anyone has been rejected before. Just because someone else has it, doesn't mean you can get it. Planning wasn't as strict in the past as it is now.

You could also just do it, and apply for retention. People will gladly tell you that's acceptable, as that's how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Ted222

the public pathway would also need to be altered to provide a ramped approach to your property. AFAIK, the council do this themselves rather than leaving it to the homeowner. Presumably they pass on the charge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Check if the road/street is an Architectural Conservation Area (ACA). If it is, highly unlikely you would get planning permission.

As C6 says above, planning wasn't as strict in the past as it is now, so just because some people have off street parking/vehicular entrance, it does not automataiclly mean that you would be granted planning permission for same now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning required. Whether you get or not will depend on precedent in your area, ACA or protected status.

Yes. They do it after the entrance is created and after the applicants garden works are complete. Usually about €800.

• Advertisement

Our builder did ours, but had to pay a bond to DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Thanks guys. I know the council does the dishing at a cost, was more wondering if I would get planning. A person mentioned that if you have those old wrought iron railings you are unlikely.

I have searched and it doesn't seem to be marked as an ACA

I've seen jobs done with similar railings and they make it look good, and fit right in.

Do you mind sharing how much total it cost to go this route?

It’s cheaper to get DCC to do the dishing direct usually.

If your comfortable enough PM’ing me your address I’ll check for you.

• Advertisement

Here's one situation near me, where they just ploughed ahead, then went for retention, which took a while. I think it looks really good. Fits in well in the area, and blends old and new in a harmonious way. I think they only finalised the electric gates in the past couple of months.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dublincity/application-details/125299

To be honest, I can't remember the total cost. I think the bond was about €10,000. It was part of opening the road to access sewer connections, so it was all completed together. It happened at a bad time, when Irish Water and DCC were handing over responsibilities for certain works.

DCC wanted a few grand to do an initial drain inspection, and Irish Water wanted 18k to do the sewer connection.
    I ended up talking to a really sound engineer in DCC though, who did the inspection for free.
    And I was able to get the Irish Water charge drastically reduced via a family connection to someone high up in the company.

Advertisement