Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Damaged by road construction

Options
  • 06-06-2024 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hello guys,

I was driving my car yesterday through the new motor way construction at killaloe. they recently opened the new side of the roundabout for vehicle to pass through on the on way red light system. this is not a complete construction, and before they were using the other side of the roundabout which was completely flat.

the road is very bumpy and unfinished. late last night I was driving through it slowly as I’m aware of the construction. there are man hole covers that are raised way above the road level as the road isn’t levelled. all that was there to indicate this was a little yellow arrow like a speed bump arrow. however it was hard to see this in the dark. I drove over these very slowly and carefully however the bottom of my skirting got damaged from it.

I’ll have to get the paint repaired and I’m wondering if I can claim off the construction company for this?

I have a dash cam but it won’t show anything because the car didn’t shudder or anything.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Is your car lowered, or does it have any aftermarket trim on the bottom?

Your dashcam video is still helpful. It will show you going slowly, the location, and hopefully the raised manhole cover.

Your first port of call should be the council, as the construction company are doing the work on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If your car was damaged by driving exactly where you were directed to drive you may well have a good case.

Take photos of the area and do it quickly before the surface is finished.

As Kirving says start with the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cian1831

thanks, no the car is completely standard.

I’ll get the dash cam, hopefully the footage is still on it as I haven’t pulled it off yet.

thanks man, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭VanHalen

This happened to me a couple of years ago. Heavy rainfall in an area where road construction was happening and a large pot hole appeared. Because of the amount of water on the road, the pot hole couldn’t be seen. I drove straight into it and my tyre completely burst. I had no choice but to drive home in this condition. Next day at the garage I was told that not only did I need a new tyre but the rim had been bent and would need replacing. I got a receipt for the work and emailed Fingal CC. They referred me to the construction company who accepted liability and organised a cheque for the amount paid.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply,

did you have to have dashcam footage? looks like mine has been overwritten with footage since the night as I didn’t take it off straight away :/ lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Interesting topic.

The road construction, being inanimate, had no part in this.

….however it was hard to see this in the dark… so I pressed on regardless.

….

Plowing at night through rough, foggy seas, a battleship’s radar suddenly indicates an object directly in its path. The ship’s captain sends a radio signal, “We are on a collision course. Advise you to change course 10 degrees north.”

A response crackles over the radio: “Negative. We advise you to change course 10 degrees south.”

The captain can now see a blinking light from the approaching object. Perturbed, he bellows a reply: “I’m a ship’s captain. Change course 10 degrees north, now!”

“I’m a seaman second class,” comes the reply. “Advise that you change course 10 degrees south to avoid imminent collision.”

The captain is furious. He blurts another command: “This is a battleship! Change your course immediately!”

Back comes the calm reply: “This is a lighthouse.”

The battleship changed course.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

You'll defintely get paid from SISK if you email them about it.

I would try get the Contracts Managers email on that site if I were you, be easier to get paid that way than emailing SISK HQ…

The raised manhole covers are well marked though! they have hatch marks on them with yellow paint. I only drove that way Saturday.

now imagine the captain has a wall of concrete (cones in my case) either side of him on his course. he cannot turn his ship without crashing into the wall. no matter his decision, he is on course for collision.

lol

in my case, there were cones and barriers on both sides of the road. I couldn’t move my vehicle out of the way without hitting these barriers and cones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't worry about the footage.

Just state the details of your journey IE. starting point and destination.

The main strength of your case is that they directed all traffic between the cones. It was up to them to ensure that all vehicles using the road could pass without damage, not just some.

• Advertisement
Advertisement