Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The immigration crisis - my suggestion

Options
  • 06-06-2024 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

So for anyone with their eyes open we can see that asylum is a bit of a big deal this election, for better or worse.

Here is my suggestion to help improve the situation.

Offer to pay all international protection applicants €40,000 tax-free if they return home. Also pay for their air travel.

Wait, wait, why are you leaving, hear me out.

This would be a significant saving for the state, as this would be less than the cost of two years' provision of international protection applicants. At the best of times we could expect someone's asylum claim to take roughly 2 years. With the state of collapse that the IPO is in I could see that time doubling, easily. This is a massive financial win for us.

There's an even greater reason. We have entirely exhausted international protection accommodation. People are pitching tents in Dublin city center. This is doubly illegal by the way, both the state is breaking the law by not providing accommodation and pitching tents in urban areas is illegal. Not an ideal state of affairs.

More to the point we have now got a backlog of 30,000 asylum applicants. How we can hope to clear that number is any reasonable time is a question no-one in government has an answer for.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

With all the pent up frustration and resentment of AS receiving everything for free, while young Irish are working their bollocks off and can’t afford a house or get ahead, I’m sure the optics of giving them 40k a head definitely won’t cause an explosion of anger and consternation…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem with those seeking IP is that they just turn up and self declare they need IP.

So first step is to identify who they are, age, gender, what nationality they are, where they are normally resident, and where they spent the previous 7 night before entering the state, and how they entered the state.

They must be able to define why they need IP, and if they cannot, their application should be refused and be deported. To be granted IP, the applicant must be fleeing war or persecution. Those seeking a better life are not seeking IP - they are economic migrants..

Now why are there IP applicants waiting many years for a decision? Surely, 90 days should be enough. So resource the interviews and decision making, and deport failed applicants.

Paying applicants to go away is just plain stupid - it just attracts others.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Miharo

Very stupid idea. What do you think would happen to the numbers arriving once the word quickly spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

A big deal for this election LOL. Not to dismiss the protests in town or general sentiment, its just that if you think it's big now wait til the general election.

Lads, if the housing crisis continues the way it is now, a few years done the line those protest will turn into riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I like the idea of a 20 year ban on re-entry to anyone illegally entering the country. Each one of the chancers entering the country are taking the space of a genuine refugee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I remember way back in the 70s we used get 5p when we returned glass bottles of coca-cola, Fanta etc.

One supermarket used to then put these bottles out the back. We would wait and then bring the same bottles back in the front door for more cash.

What’s to stop your asylum seekers returning multiple times for multiple donations from the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is there not multiple threads already for this? Anyway my 2cents before it's closed we need more checks at the border. It's clear no matter where you sit on the political divide most people agree this is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,320 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We need a deterrent would my 2cents

We need stop paying the 38.80 euro

We need to remove their medical card (this one is **** nuts)

No more housing, not more hotels, no more brick and mortar any where but instead we offload them detention center away from general public. Ideally I want them offloaded to a 3rd country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This would just create an incentive for even more migrants to come here purely to collect that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Basic tented accommodation in a secure camp in the Curragh, sanitary facilities, basic meals and emergency healthcare, daily transport to ports or airports for anyone who wants to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Denmark have sensible policies in this area and have seen numbers plummet as a result. We should follow their lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

NGOs, Greedy property owners and all the people making a fortune on the back of refugees and immigrants has to be addressed first. To many profiteering off the backs of vulnerable humans.

Also massive influx of single men and people with no documentation has to be addressed.

Until this is addressed the total mayhem will carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Musicrules

What crisis? People are blowing this way out of proportion. We just need to stop nerdowells coming in but overall immigration has and will be great for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jaysis there's a lot of feckin nazis in their ss pj's on these forums lately.

Actual Irish people recognise how many millions of us left this Island and saw this kind of anyone-but-the-Irish rubbish in all of our families history.

...and now these Russian bots and angry-at-their-mother types are trying so hard to make us think differently than what we know from our own family history.

Sorry lads, feck off.

This..is...…IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

This..is...…IRELAND!

This is so cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Reps from the social welfare should be at the protests. Taking names and organising interviews or cut the dole. That would stop the protests fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

This has been tried before with Roma gypsies given e6k to go home and they went there and were only back a month later with the cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Oh yeah its its own little industry. Its actually a form of slavery for the new millenium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How about when they turn up at an Irish airport and have mysteriously lost their documents the airline is forced to fly them back to the country they flew from and let them deal with it! Though the new rules and processes may backfire on this "oh I've lost my passport scam"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This is the Republic of Ireland where is "Ireland"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

€40 Grand. COOL. I would emmigrate to the UK to immigrate back to Ireland to claim the free money. Everybody in the Third World would do the same.

Its like one of those Late Late Show competitions that Gay Byrne used to do. Free flights and €40,000 cash will be yours.

Not a great idea to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If the government had handled this properly and had proper immigration controls in place and also listened to people there would of been no need for protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Please don't become a politician...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,266 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's to stop them coming back again and again under assumed names and false documents for a payoff?

Just make conditions here unattractive enough for unskilled it isn't worthwhile making their way here. Problem sorted.

If you can build houses and work in hospitals, come on in. Or genuine refugees fleeing a genuine crisis. If not, jog on somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Dear lord no wonder the country in the state its in when ideas like this are considered good.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Replace the Curragh with one of the off shore unpopulated islands and I agree

We should build reception centres on an offshore island, straight from the airport to asylum process island if you show up with no ID

Word will soon get out that this is what you face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

so a one off 1.23 billion payout to 30,000 applicants some of whom say 10% are genuine refugees plus admin costs plus more than likely payouts to recipient countries to take them in

whats the set up the day after the 30k+ have been shipped home

zero euros or accommodation for new arrivals ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Difficult to concieve of a worse idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement