Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on FTTH prep before install

Options
  • 06-06-2024 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I came across some info here, the original phone cable might be Cat 5 or 6

I checked the phone cable and it's CAT5E 24AWG, I have two in the outside junction box, one for the main house and another for the office out in the garden

From reading up, engineers are not allowed to install the ont in an outside area due to lack of IP rating , and failed boxes from previous installs

I am trying to figure out how to get the cable into the house and ideally via upstairs room (CAT5E phone line terminates) and the outside office

Questions

The engineers won't install the ont in an outdoor junction box , I assume they will drill through the wall behind the junction box to allow me install the ont in the internal room , this will allow me access to the CAT5E cables in the outside junction box?

The cables in the house were provision for a phone line originally, Will the engineer put RJ45 terminals on the CAT5E cables and replace the phone port upstairs with an ethernet port or would I have to do prior?

Can I purchase an inexpensive piece of equipment to test the existing CAT5E cable from the junction box to upstairs is working before I commit to this location

Worse case, engineer will not install the ont in the attic, I would need to do this after the initial install?

**Black line is the old Eircom phone line from the pole,no idea what the big black box is , raychem written on it

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

General guides and ducting, ducting, ducting.

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/E00086493-eircus-FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf

There is a requirement to drill a hole into the premises, unless one already exists
    If a customer wishes to move their modem to a different location in the premises
    charges may apply depending on the operators DPE policy
    It is important to note that open eir do not install in attic spaces

https://openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Blocked-Duct-Guidelines-v3.pdf

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Premises-Infrastructure-Document.pdf

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

If the cat5e going upstairs and to the shed are not going to be used for phone use anymore it should be easy. But the cables could not be daisy chained and just straight end to end. I would drill a hole, probably at bottom of comms box, making sure not near any wires etc and bring the two grey cat5e cables inside to terminate at a twin rj-45 faceplate. The cat5e at junction box at outside office? could be connected properly with a cat5e joiner. The cable could be terminated at both locations with cat5e faceplates too. I think you can run ethernet and phones over cat5e but at a much slower speed. I recently just ran external cat6a from rj-45 faceplate beside modem to patch panel in a room wardrobe via the attic. Distributed to other rooms from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭clodola

Never used a landline in the house was always unused

Plan is to terminate the two cat5e into a twin faceplate , if I put the router in the room on the otherside of the junction box

But I seen in the regs , room needs a double power outlet and you cannot use an extension lead, currently I run a 2 metre extension lead from the bedroom into the room , it's my office( originally walk in wardrobe) , no easy way to setup a twin outlet in there

Talking to my mate, he got me thinking, the phone wall terminal was terminated in the upstairs office, R11 I think they are called (it's the cat5e cable that runs to the junction box outside) , room was designed to be an office.

Would be perfect to host the router / switch/ont, I am not restricted to Cat5e , easy access to run cables around the house via attic. I could setup an IP rated switch down stream of the router in the junction box powered via Poe or as you said , terminate the cables in a faceplate in the room downstairs

Only caveat, the upstairs office is at the rear of the house , it is 30 metres to run the fibre optic from pole to front of house (regs are max of 50 metres, pole to building via overhead cable), old telephone line is setup like this but terminates at the outside junction box

No idea if the engineers will run the fibre optic cable via the gables to the rear, rough estimate on google earth is 60 metres if they do it neatly from pole to front of house and run the cable alone the gables to the rear , house is a dormer

Advertisement