Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport Interchanges

Options
  • 06-06-2024 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Following on from discussions about the Green Line/Red Line/Metrolink interchange in the Metrolink thread, thought it might be an idea to raise/discuss other potential transit hubs on a more national scale, where is there a lot of missed potential? Where could an existing interchange be improved, or easy wins see a big benefit?

Outside of Dublin it's going to be primarily Bus routes and train station interactions, so simple rerouting could make big differences.

Inside Dublin, any other luas stops that could be improved, should there be an actual station building at, e.g. Red Cow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Where to even begin!!

For a start, a nationwide project to assess ease of access to every station. Most stations only have one point of access, often at one extreme end of the platforms.

Killester Dart Station is a prime example. The current walking distance from the Dart platforms to the N4 bus route is 430m, but the platforms are only 150m away. All it needs is a hole in a wall and a ramp down to the platforms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OisinCooke

Always wondered why the Metrolink stop at SSG was on the opposite side of the park to Grafton Street and the existing SSG Luas stop… although maybe this is to prioritise connection with DART Underground…?

On the topic of future connections as well, does anyone know the story with Luas Lucan…? I hope to God they have the sense to build it as a standalone line through the south inner city and not a branch off of the Red Line which will only further hinder capacity. If they do the right thing though, where are the likely connection points with Red Line, Green Line, Metro, DART and intercity rail…?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of, there are a number of train stations where multiple entrances are a total no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One of the stations in D15 should be a transport hub.

Maybe take a small slice of the park beside Castleknock.

Permeability wins should be quite easy. Clontarf Road a great example. Why do people going to Fairview or Croke Park have to walk all the way around instead of exiting in to the park?

It’s very much like those who make the calls don’t use the service they provide. Ivory Towers stuff.

Connolly is another example. If you're on Seville Place, the platforms are only 60m away, but it's 750m walk to actually get on the platform. With the proposed new entrance at Preston Street (Amien St), this will be reduced to 350m. This is great, though more could be done to improve access.

Grand Canal Dock another example - 500m walk from Grand Canal Quay even though the platforms are literally overhead. I find this one particularly frustrating.

• Advertisement

The revised SSG Metro location (versus Metro North plans) is necessary, because they Metro uses Tara Street as the main interchange with Dart. Previously, it was assumed MetroNorth and DU would both be built and create a new mega interchange at SSG East, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Anyway, the line does not have enough space to curve from Tara Street to SSG East (Luas stop).

On Luas Lucan, I assume they'll utilize/share the red line between James and Black horse, and bring the line all the way down to College Green, but just my guess. The junction at James is messy but the rest of the section is mostly fully segregated from conflicts.

A new station at Porterstown (between Clonsilla and Coolmine) would be a great location for an interchange. The shelved Metro West interchanged with the Dart West line here.

Porterstown would also be an ideal location for a 4-platform Dart West upgrade, as it's about half way between Maynooth and Glasnevin Junction. This would allow Sligo Intercity/Longford Commuter trains to overtake Dart.

This location could potentially serve as a hub for some of the BusConnects B routes, Northern N orbitals and local routes. However, I'm not sure how compatible that is with current plans for Blanchardstown Centre as a hub for all these routes…

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OisinCooke

Yes actually GCD is an incredibly frustrating station to get into from the actual docks area and makes commuting to the likes of the Theatre completely impractical. An underpass based entrance/exit onto Grand Canal Quay underneath the railway would be an ideal fix however fitting it onto the narrow platforms 2 and 3 would be tricky…

Could Pearse benefit from an entrance from Upper Sandwith Steet…? Areas south of the station and road bridge are owned be IÉ so I see no problems in doing it.

Advertisement