Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seiko Arctura Kinetic Chronograph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would you be able to read the time? 😀

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Ahh! So that's what it’s for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Legibility isn't great on it but if you like it, I would say it's overpriced. If you could find it for half that I'd consider it. Looks like a 1990's design and I'd say it is old stock. Seems to be launched around 2009 and I can't find it in stock in any of the usual sites I would know and recommend. You probably will have issues finding parts if you ever need to repair or replace bracelet. Lot of Kinetic models seeseems to lean towards fussy/busy designs and are very much of their time.

Kinetics don't have the best reputation for reliability either especially if it's not a watch you wear continuously. I'd favour going Quartz Solar if you want a Chronograph.

If you want a quirky Chrono I do like this one. You can get another 5 or 10% off depending on codes they are offering at the time. Would be much higher in finish and bracelet and will take a normal strap.

Going for a more traditional design this range is nice and has tempted me a few times. They do a smaller case size also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Speedtimer is lovely and deffo preferable over the acura. The only problem with both as said is the time is essentially a sub dial which is no no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭redlead

I have one of these, a very similar white dial one to that that I bought circa 2004/2005 so its definitely a pretty old design at this stage but still looks good. To be honest I think its a very solid watch for that price, I think I paid something similar all the way back then. It feels better quality than similarly priced watches. It stopped holding its charge maybe 5 or 6 years ago and I never got around to servicing it. You're probably looking at 350 bucks every 10 or 15 years to service it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

I have an Arctura Kinetic that I bought in Hong Kong for about $300 in the early 00's. Wore it for years as a daily and it sort of got parked. Took it out a few years ago and it wouldn't hold on its charge. Sent back to Seiko for repair but didn't sort the problem so I should maybe try and fix it myself. Mrs Traco doesn't like it but I do. Colour makes it easier to read and it was very reliable until I stopped wearing it as echoed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I had a Citizen solar that had a capacitor type battery. It too would not hold a charge. But I found the capacitor from a seller on Adverts, and just looked up a Youtube video.

I changed it at work one day, sat my desk with a screwdriver and a tooth pick. Worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a 1993 Eco-Drive and it's still running fine and holding a charge. Doesn't surprise me as the specs on the capcitor were that it was comprised of gold and titanium. I wonder if they persisted with such a technically high quality spec in later years?

Advertisement