Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External gaps in window openings

• 07-06-2024 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We had new windows fitted in an old house recently. There are significant gaps around the exterior of the windows in places, where the openings weren’t straight etc.

What is the best way to fill these gaps so they can be painted over? What kind of tradesman would do a job like this? Or should we push the window installers to do this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Let me be clear here: is this the finished job by the window installers who have been 100% paid?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It can't be. This is the intermediate stage of install. No way it's a completed job. ... well I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I hope not but just looking at the OP name: Karen from Galway😂…I think it's a windup

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 karendgalway

This is not a windup.

Yes, this is the finished job according to the installer/provider.

Any useful technical advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If this is the finished exterior, I'm just waiting to see the internal.

To be fair to installer, it's possible that this is a complete gut and refurb where there is a contractor on site and external plaster is being renewed but if this is simply a window replacement, that is a joke.

Firstly, I don't see why they couldn't get window closer to original position but regardless, you can't walk away from a job like that.

They should have made good all these reveals ready for paint.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply Mick.

Yes, we replaced all the windows as part of a large refurb job, not just a window replacement. Walls were all stripped back internally to brick. We had plasterers around to skim a new extension but they said these gaps on the old part are too big to plaster.

The internal finish is better- it’s clear they fitted the windows from the inside and I genuinely don’t think they considered the outside.
    So your take on this is that any reputable window installer is responsible for finishing the exterior to a reasonable finish, regardless of whether there is plaster renewal?

thanks again for the contribution

Ok thanks. Hoping the window installers will make good in some way on the gaps. We’ll have to find a way to fill and seal them somehow. The photos here are not even the worst of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Any update on this hack of a job?

Advertisement