Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35mm photography in 2024

Options
  • 07-06-2024 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently got into 35mm and I've got two questions for anyone else who's into it:

1. The shutter on my Kiev-19 is already jamming open. I'm presuming I'll need to get someone to look at it. I'm based in Mullingar, are there any recommendations?
    2. What's the best place to get it developed and scanned? There are loads of places online but the two (relatively) local places that do it only scan at 300dpi, which seems pointlessly low resolution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Camera Repair Dublin - Fixed a shutter speed issue on my F-1. Fair price too.

I would normally recommend John Gunns on Wexford Street for Dev' and Scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Don't worry about DPI. It's the file size of the scan that is more important. For standard commercial printers, like Frontier, the DPI is 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The print resolution is 300 DPI, I doubt anyone is scanning at 300 DPI as that'd result in a scan size of 400x300 pixels or thereabouts, not terribly useful. My Coolscan claims a (probably reasonably true) res of 4000 DPI, which is grand for 35mm. I use a flatbed for 120 & large format and wouldn't scan at more than 2400 for 120 and maybe 1200 for 4x5. Even 8x10 I'd probably scan at 1200 and scale down to 600 giving a ~30 megapixel scan from the sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Depending on the lens, you might be able to 'scan' 35mm negs using a digital camera. This is what I do and my set-up resolves film grain with a 16mp sensor.

Advertisement