Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro 17" Pre-2010: Repair or Scrap?

Options
  • 07-06-2024 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get some advice on whether I should scrap my pre-2010/2011 MacBook Pro 17" or send it for repair. For the past couple of years it's developed a fault with its power system:

When you press the power-on button, it makes a sound like it's about to power up, the internal fans spin for about 3 seconds, and then it dies and nothing happens. When it's connected to the power supply, the LED light on the power-chord connector (the magnetic connector that attaches to the laptop's power port) shows green when it's first connected, then within a second it shows orange, which indicates to me that power is getting into the laptop. I opened the case and all the power connectors look intact and connected to what they're supposed to be connected to.

It's a Duo-core, with maxed-out RAM (8GB). It's old but could be useful for watching films, browsing the Internet, and many other things actually. The most valuable thing about it is its huge 17" screen.

So should I scrap it, send it for repair (but that might cost a lot, and it might not even be repairable), or could I sell it secondhand for a small amount of money and hope for an enthusiast to buy it and repair it themselves?

Comments

Advertisement