Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Scam or Legit

Options
  • 07-06-2024 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

This isnt found as scam hence need to close it

Post edited by asaxen15 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It sounds too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

Yes. Sounds dodgy. Were there a lot of other potential tenants viewing with you? Was she Irish? Any reason an agent wasn't used if landlord is abroad? No background check on you by the landlord? Use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Does it sound too good to be true? There is a national housing crisis, yet this landlord went looking for you? Any landlord/Agent I ever met took at least 20 minutes to check me out, yet this guy want to offer you the house immediately with PPS and IBAN?

Could you describe this lady? If you cannot describe her on boards you know its a con job. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is…...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asaxen15

The lady seemed Irish and she seemed familiar with area, the IBAN is of AIBK Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asaxen15

Thanks..no there were no other viewer. I was given exact time to come for viewing and had the viewing done..lady seemed Irish and claim to be his sister. The person issued the contract which contained MPRN and GPN..but when I checked, MPRN belongs to different address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,368 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It could be the pair that were discussed on Liveline during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,368 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Can't remember exactly but something similar to opening post.

Landlord not there but girl showed person the room. Deposit paid to bank account. When renter arrived to move in it turned out to be an Airbnb or something.

He went to Guards to complain. It just happened that the person in the queue in front of him was there to report the exact same thing had happened to him with the same house and people.

They both found it through Daft.

It should still be on RTE Radio Player. Think it was Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think it was on a show years.ago called The Real Hustle.

Basically they rent out a place for a couple of hours. Show u round. You think it's legit and hand over a deposit and a month's rent upfront. As soon as you're out the door they scarper

Knew it was too good to be true.

• Advertisement

Knew it was too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Definitely a scam. Lucky you didn't fall for it.

Not your ornery onager

• Administrators Posts: 13,981 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Moved to Accommodation and Property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

I'd mention it to the local gardai just as a fyi.

They might look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Advertisement