Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT/taxation on a Ford Crown Victoria (2010/2011)

Options
  • 08-06-2024 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 13
    A gobshite based in Dublin (unfortunately….

How’s it going…

Not really sure how posts work on boards (never posted before…ever…)

I’m really interested in the Ford Crown Vics and I’d love to buy one…a bit of a Sunday funday car if you get what I mean.
    https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/1591255980

Was just looking at this one located in France. It’s very expensive but I’m attracted to the ultra low mileage,like just have a look at the interior, it looks like it has never ever been sat in before 🤣.

Could any of you guys and gals help me understand how these taxes work? I looked on citizens information .ie and apparently on EU (and original Northern) car imports, you do not have to pay any VAT (or customs) if it has over 8000km. How could I get an estimate of VRT, I would hate to buy it, ship it over (or drive it over) and then be smacked with a 10 thousand euro tax bill and told I have 30 days to pay it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Is there any way the car could be registered as a limousine under some kind of loophole?

Also how would they estimate the CO2 figure for the motortax (being after 2008 it is taxed on Co2 instead of CC afaik). The yanks use a completely different emission testing system to the European environmental boffins.

Any help would be hugely appreciate guys…

on a side note,apologies if I posted this question in the wrong area or if there is already a discussion about US imports…I just wanted a direct answer. Thanks again

Cheers

Aido

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/1591255980

Annual Motor Tax will probably be horrific!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭User1998

Very simple. Emmisions will be based on what it says on the registration certificate. If not on the registration certificate you will need to get emissions from Ford or some other official USA database.

VRT will most likely be 41% of the value of the car. Not what you paid, the value of the car here with VRT paid. So you pay VRT on VRT. Motor tax will likely be €2400 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭gipi

There'll be a NOX charge on the car too, no? Maximum of 600 euro for petrol cars, much higher for diesel.

I'd also check that you can insure the car before importing it - some insurance companies may not look kindly on cars over 12 years old (a very movable number) and a left hand drive car for daily use.

Nox is included in the total VRT calculation. Usually very low for petrol cars even ones with big engines

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aidan320d

Yes as far as I know it is included in the total VRT amount payable, but the Nox would be particularly low on a Crown Vic because they have 4 (yes i know… four!!) catalytic converters

• Advertisement

That's what I'm thinking… maybe could it be registered as a limousine and get a tax clearance every year.

1 thousand euro to register a limo, 250 a year to renew the limo licence and 95 a year to tax the vehicle (same as hackneys and taxis), bringing the payable amount each year down to €345!

2400 a year is not worth it considering it will be sitting in a garage under a cover, it wont even be driven twice a week. If I chose that exact car I aim to keep the mileage as low as possible (with the idea of maybe selling it here or back to the states when they're impossible to find with low mileage and in good condition.

Thanks for your help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

given how outdated these are technically (as in you’re not buying one for the latest tech), why not get one over 30 years old?

you have a good point but the crown vic I’m looking at debut in 1998/1999 and the first gen one (92-97), I find, is a bit of an ugly duckling and I’m not fond of 20mpg for only 195hp from a 4.6 litre engine. The 2011 CV’s are still modern (enough), traction control, airbags, 253hp, much better fuel economy, much better handling (than older ones and than civilian variants). I wouldn’t spend 15 thousand on a 30 year old rust bucket (most northern state vehicles are rusted out) which not many would even recognise as the crown Victoria (I find that the 2nd gen vehicles [98-2011] are far more recognisable from being in every American Tv show and movie in the last 25 years, the first gen ones just look like any other body-on-frame US saloon of its time).
    I wouldn’t buy one any older than 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭goochy

You need to get a 1994 or older car makes more sense and will be much easier to resell . Don't be a Gobshite and even consider paying big duty and road tax on anything newer .there are plenty of 1994 or older iconic cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If you want a Sunday fun car and have 30 grand plus to spend, you can do much better than a Crown Vic.
    Something over 30 years old is your best bet. Cheap tax, 2 year NCT and classic insurance. If you’re importing, €200 VRT.
    Taxing as a limo etc to dodge motor tax is just an absolute pain for a car you’ll drive a dozen times a year.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

fortunately on EU imports there is no vat and duty so only VRT…

If I wanted a vintage car I could buy a low mileage mondeo from the uk, or even better, a vintage merc 500SEL, but I don’t. I asked my question as I am curious on the VRT on a car like this. Not a 1993 Corolla 1.3i. And I also asked if it was possible to register the vehicle as a limo and pay €345 a year to keep the licence renewed and also the 95 euro Hackney motor tax (instead of €2400 a year as previously stated by someone else.

good point but I find the crown vic really really cool. I also don’t really see the point in an 80s death box that will just give trouble and you wouldn’t belive the amount of people’s cars at classic car shows that break down. I don’t really need or want the hassle. And you’re right about the 30 grand. 28g is a lot to spend on a 13 year old car. There’s some crown vics with better spec and low mileage for a good few grand cheaper on the continent. It was just an idea of mine 🤣

Surely you need proof that it will be used as a limo, similar to proof needed for commercial insurance. Not a good idea regardless anyway.

You could maybe hire it out for weddings etc / events so limo licence would be legit . American cars quite popular in Japan also do jap import might be option. Cars in mainland Europe can be pricey

Plenty of choice of American stuff on the continent.
    There’s a 1992 Vic on mobile.de. V8. Velour interior. Not even 3 grand. Tempted myself!

Yeah, I'd have absolutely no issue with actually using it for limo work. I could 'hire' the car out to family members if they want to go into town for a gig or a party or do actual public limo work. I'd do anything to get a CV (other than paying €2400 a year on motortax which is daylight robbery), I absolutely love them. The craziest thing is that a crown vic would be most definitely more enviromentally friendly running on E85 or petrol than a 2011 Golf tdi diesel because of all the soot and cancer pollutants.The US is really strict on pollutants. I'll have a look into a jap import CV. For 25g I could buy this nice E39 Alpina B10 https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-b10-e39-alpina-3-3/35584980, soon to be vintage, very clean… but I don't want one, having already owned many nice beamers and mercs like e36,46,39,and an e30 325i back when they were called 'new' cars. I just simply don't want the hassle of a vintage car, rust, mechanical issues, things like the W124's biodegrable wire harnesses. The CV's are as bulletproof as an american car/ford can get. Especially one with 17k km!!

Cheers

Fair point.. There's a few nice ones in Germany.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=388069793&dam=false&isSearchRequest=true&ms=9000%3B7%3B%3B&ref=srp&refId=916e3923-077f-6210-d4c7-e87721f94ed6&s=Car&sb=rel&searchId=916e3923-077f-6210-d4c7-e87721f94ed6&vc=Car This one is partiuclarly nice and is high spec (for a police interceptor model) but then its got 119,000 miles.. nothing for a CV but it's not exactly like there's CV mechanics in ireland (just a guess.. haven't actually checked ). I'd prefer lowest as I can without it being stupid expensive.. I wouldn't pay 28g for the one i originally posted, I'd try a little haggle as I think that CV has been on the market in france for a year+ so I could see if I could get a nice discount…

• Registered Users Posts: 30 colm reilly

You would also need a psv licence if going down the limo route ,if you havnt go one already .

Yep… I don't currently have one but if I did go for the car I'd see now issue with doing the PSV test. Personally I think it's worth spending all that money at the beginning because it should be much much cheaper to renew the limo licence/psv and hackney motor tax over the €2400 a year motor tax on a non-PSV

• Advertisement

Is it only limos not taxis that get cheap tax ?

Taxi and Hackney are both €95 but that Crown Vic doesn’t qualify as a taxi.

You’d actually considering doing a PSV test in order to avoid paying motor tax? Thats one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard on here. If your going to avoid paying motor tax just do what everyone else does and drive the thing without tax and change the ownership every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭gipi

If it's registered as a limo to save on motor tax, will you need to get commercial insurance? Cost of that could outweigh any tax savings...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 colm reilly

Expect insurance quotes to far out way any road tax savings you hope to gain .

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

You watch Cleetus' YouTube channel by any chance. He holds circle track races in crown vics a couple of times a year.

Many get destroyed during the races.

This thread was interesting diversion but the OP is clearly a dreamer. Nobody is seriously going to do what he is suggesting he will. Browsing some American metal on mobile.de was a nice way to pass a few mins though…

has dreaming ever hurt anyone?
    My original question was is there any way to use a loophole to make it a tiny bit cheaper to buy and run a near 6 meter long American barge without commiting blatant tax evasion So what I’m taking from this is ‘most’ people cannot answer a fairly simple question. I didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion on my idea, pretty much it was just whether or not it’s POSSIBLE. And I’m saying ‘most’ because there was some very good answers posted and thank you to all who contributed in a positive way. So the answer to my question is; No. it’s not really possible to make one cheaper to run due to

• Commercial insurance
    • Issues with acquiring a PSV licence
    • Full-scale VRT (as it is still a passenger vehicle)
    • The hassle of registering a vehicle as a limousine

if there’s anything I missed let me know 😂

I guess if I want to fulfil my dream of owning and buying a Crown Vic, I’ll have to suck it up and pay the 2400 motor tax (or just not pay it at all)

Thanks to all who were helpful

Good point

Didn’t think of that

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

Maybe only tax it for 3 months at a time twice in the year. So you can use it for 6 months through out the year but not have to pay the full years tax. Or maybe just 3 months in the summer. June, July August.

• Advertisement

Nope, your dreaming didn’t hurt me anyway, a few people were taking it a bit seriously and getting hot under the collar over your plans. Not me though. It was a nice diversion.
    If you ever get one, post it here:

Advertisement