Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2024- Pinehurst No. 2- 13th to 16th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,273 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well up until 70 holes he was behind for quite a while.

My point is that he did nothing to win it, McIlroy gave it to him with a horrendous last four holes

My point is he was beaten until McIlroy fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭whitelaurel

How is it? The cretin shot +1 for his last four holes. That loses majors unless something ridiculous happens and it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah I think he'll win a major in the next few years. He's getting so close. Hopefully when he does it takes the pressure off and he can go on a streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

rory aside, what an entertaining major. the toing and froing on the back 9. best since 2019 masters i'd say. and before that, i'm not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Rory played brilliantly up to the 15th and actually made a confident putt at 15 but it lipped out ...this rattled him and he then compounded it with poor club choices ... the putt on 18 was treacherous and he never looked like making it , a strong caddy could have made a difference but Rory is typically Irish in that he is his own man , mercurial and headstrong and while this makes for a fantastic spectator experience maybe it is not the way to go about winning more majors . He needs to address this weakness by choosing a strong caddy who can smooth out the peaks and troughs and give him the major success his talent deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Apart from the brilliant bunker shot and sinking the final putt under extreme pressure on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

+1 doesnt lose you anything if you are several shots ahead.

Going into the final day it was Brysons to lose. He didn't. He held his nerve despite all the momentum being with McIlroy.

It was a great victory by him, any true sports person would recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

no insider knowledge at all. I met him at the Curragh around 10 years ago and he seemed grand but his nonsense calling out players like Mickelson, Cantlay and Grayson Murray in the last year or so was nonsense. He tried the same with Patrick Reed at the Masters in 2018 - another major he blew - and Reed toasted him. McIlroy tried to wind him up after 2016 Ryder Cup.

He bitches and moans at every single opportunity and then that crap he pulled last night just summed him up to be honest. No other player has carried on like that. Plenty others have blown a major and have had the cop on to hang around and do the respectful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bryson got up and down on 18 and Rory didn’t. That’s sport. Twas a 274-280 shot tournament, not 2-3 shot tournament. Bryson did it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Why would he hang around? He wasn't playing in same group as Bryson. Should all players in the final few groups hang around? It wasn't just Rory he beat, it was everyone else. So where do you draw the line? Why would Rory be expected to hang around and not Cantlay, Finau, Aberg, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He won 2.3 million in prize money,,,it would be good form to hang around for Media duties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Im not hear to defend him at all. trust me. he's just another typical sportsman.

I found the bitching & moaning about not hanging around petty and ridiculous.

Do i want to hear how badly he felt? No.

Do i want to see him cry? No.

Do i want to see him shaking BDC hand? Ideally, but not particularly.

Im sure there will be plenty of time for handshakes (and hugs… whatever you kids are into these days!) and congratulations.

Or not. Maybe they don't get along. Fine by me and the situation wouldn't be right considering BDC is celebrating and enjoying himself.

Like I don't want to see him hanging around awkwardly to wait to shake the mans hand.

The media and the saps, they all want to see this sh1te.

Frankly I think the lads who desperately want to be seen to shake someone's hand are usually the false and disingenuous types.

The ones who are pissed off are the media and the hacks. He has given them too much over the years.

They'll get to ask their Qs in due course and he'll answer them all. Give them more then he should. as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly this. Hanging around to congratulate the winner has almost never been a part of pro golf. I can remember say, a few Aussies hanging around to congratulate Scott on his Masters or Ogilvy on his US Open, and there have been a few examples here and there if its a buddy or a friend or a compatriot, but I've almost never seen a situation like the weekend where the loser would hang around for a random winner that he wasn't playing with.

Who knows why Bryson hung around at the PGA, maybe he's close with Xander, maybe he tried to get him into LIV, but IMHO its a completely different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭cosatron

at the pga, bryson was on the practice range, in case there was a playoff and crossed paths with xander on the way back to the club house.

Maybe I was a bit harsh, so. I thought the runner up was presented with his cheque and announced as the runner up to the crowd. I was thinking that Rory snubbed the official set up in some way. Seems he didn't

Do any the other majors present a runner up? Probably not.

Thetes a lot of question marks about the winners putter but it wasn't checked so nothing can be done now. The shaft has to lean at least 10° away from the putter head.

This angle isn't definitive but it raises the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah come on now. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so, I think this sentence calling him a cretin shows that you actually are making these statements not from a golf perspective but from the fact you seem to not like McIlroy.

MOD EDIT, that comment was moderated so let's leave it at that please

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

No that's to do with his regular stamping of clubs on the ground including the greens with his putter, he's a whiner, nothing is ever his fault and he's basically pissing on the graves of all those who died in 9/11.

MOD EDIT Warning issued and leaving the post unedited, no responses to this post please

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement

I thought only at British Open was there a silver medal.

At Masters it's previous year winner who's involved

Only other player I can recall at presentations is the low amateur

It’s not and never was the “British” Open.

anyway, I don’t think any the majors announce-acknowledge a runner up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

The Silver Medal at the Open is the low amateur though, no ? I could be wrong on that. If he'd breached a protocol I'd be as critical as the next person, but I really don't think he did.

Ya you're right on silver medal for low amateur.

Ya I know, I just call it British Open to distinguish from US version, probably out of habit

Ok, but the actual (and clearer distinction) is using its correct title. The Open. It’s ubiquitous.

Like the Derby, the Grand National, the FA cup

Folks in the U.S. add in “British” to piss off the British..just ignorant fools.

No bother, I'll still be continuing to call it the British Open anyway at this stage

Okey doke, but do ya not think you're just being a bit silly, and ignorant? Just for the sake of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

It was a really cracking major & a superb contest between the 2 best players left, after they had pulled away in Rory's case, (or just out survived in BDC's case) the rest of the field.

Rory, was brilliant overall. He started on 4 under, 3 full shots behind the leader, not even in the final grouping. Yet by 14 he was -4 for the day, and had pulled 2 ahead momentarily until BDC birdied the same hole. He left all the other challengers well in his wake (e.g. Pavon, Cantlay, Aberg ,etc).

He undoubtedly tightened up over the closing holes, and the missed putt on 16 in particular was a sickener, and I'd say he'll rue that for a long time, but still overall he was still outstanding imho, & it was only a real hero up & down by BDC on 18 that sealed that major.

Great golf, great competitors & a very entertaining watch.

P.s. those bandying about names & labels for Rory or any other golfer after that brilliant tournament need to cop themselves on imho.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭joficeduns1

Agree with above. Best Major probably since 2019 Masters.

Advertisement