Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2024- Pinehurst No. 2- 13th to 16th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Only thing that can stop Bryson is that injury..he is limping

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

In an Open, s### shots like that by Bryson would face consequences. But he faced nothing for that error. It's why he keeps doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Bryson surely won't get as lucky with his lies tomorrow. A bit sad to see the bomb and gouge strategy working at a US Open imo. Rollback badly needed

Agree.

But I guess only a few able to do it to Bryson level in fairness

I don't know if or think there's any course set up the organizers can go with for the final round to nullify Bryson. It's supposed to have been an Open of skill, not brute force. He's proved them wrong, so they should do something.

Don't get me wrong, Bryson has played some really good shots, but he's mainly just blazed off the tee, no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

All this talk about how can they stop Bryson over powering the course tomorrow is as silly as the talk at the start, that sheffler only had to turn up to win it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Bryson with a +5 round tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mcllroy really won't like playing with Cantlay

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

hopefully they are out a bit earlier for the final round. That was too late for me last night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yea, looks like the final groups are out about an hour earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It shouldn't, but with a bad shot it then got compounded. Bryson hit some awful shots and ended up with some lovely spots, not even.a tuft of grass in the native areas to make it somewhat trickier. That's the sort of luck that's needed and the difference between par and a higher score. If mcillroys ball went straight in the bunker, he has an easier stance, but no, he got a kick off the lip to shoot it even more into trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭jj880

McIlroy in a good position playing well. Hope he doesn't sh!te the bed on the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

I'm a fervent fan of Rory but I wouldn't diss Bryson for his tactics. He has read the signs -you can blast and prosper. So he does -and does it well. He put together 6 birdies on Saturday -takes some skill no matter what.

Rory will have to do something similar today-memo to Rory …Must. Birdie .Par 5s.

He can do it but will need some help . If DeChambeau shoots even one under it's a huge task . The nightmare scenario is a playoff which McIlroy loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

DeChambeau is the only player with 3 under par rounds. If he can add another today it will probably be enough and he would deserve the win in that case.

You would wonder how likely 4 under par rounds here are though. I don't think he will go under par today. If Rory can should -2 or -3 he can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Like other people I'm not a fan of Bryson doing his smashing it off the tee routine at a US Open but he took advantage of some of the luck he received in that round executing with outstanding bunker shots/irons/puts as he did aswell at Augusta and the PGA Championship he is no one trick pony

I don't think he is going to row back today so on this course with Bryson's potential volatility a 3 stroke lead is not a comfortable margin and the -4 chasing pack will have to loosen up on that course at some point if that lead is not reduced I think it will be a fascinating final round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Regarding birdies on the par 5s...this was always an Achilles heel. But i see a different, more calm Rory this week. His patience has been exemplary. In previous majors he has forced the issue on par 5s, going for eagle and often walking off with bogey.

I don't see it happening here. Sensible plays, take chances when they come. There will be bogies for everyone. Least mistakes wins it.

I have a really good feeling about tonight. He may not win but i don't see him playing himself out of the tournament.

Go Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,500 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rory has a bad hole in him at most final day majors ..and going by this week and this course ..that could be enough to take him out of it...

Hopefully wring ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Bryson's first time leading a major going into Sunday. Wonder will that be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Rory will need to sink a few decent length putts to get the confidence going if he is to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

Good start by lowry. Keep it going and could be top 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Lowry down to +3 - he's top 20 currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

C'mon Rory, great start

Rory drains a birdie from like 30ft and Bryson finds a divot on the fairway(relief should be allowed for that)

Tournament down to 5 players under par

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some piece of luck from Bryson to catch a lucky lie there on 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's had a fair amount of luck so far, sometimes it's just your week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ya you certainly need a bit of luck on your side to get the win.

When they showed the slow motion replay of it it was even more crazy bounced into one of the heavy tufts and out into a clear area

Ah the rolex hour is an hour earlier today for some reason

That's f-ed up. Rory played a good 2nd shot into the par 5 5th, certainly better than Cantlay, and yet he's ended up in a far worse position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Those 2 last shots from McIlroy and Cantlay show how unfair this course is.

Perfectly on the green and rolls off a mile

Advertisement